Lavazza Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lavazza Blue

Well the self-serve coffee machine is installed at work. It is called the Lavazza Blue system and is a capsule-based system like the Nespresso-based coffee makers. There are about 8 different capsule blends which come with their own descriptions and strength ranking.
    The first 30 capsules were consumed on the first day (everyone in the office tried one) and we now have a couple of hunderd more which sell for $1. each.
    The machine is electronic and dispenses a short black or a long black of about 2/3 of an Americano cup, but also allows the operator to vary the amount of water in the pour. Comes out with a good looking but pale crema.
    Definitely has some sort of coffee flavour although I havent quite figured out what. They describe some of the capsules as having a creamy flavour (which is not a description I would have applied to espresso) but I agree they taste a tiny bit creamy (not a characteristic I like).
    Machine has a little steam wand that does quite a good job for the milk freaks.
    I have only had one coffee to try it but would have to say it tastes different from one of my colleagues Nespresso machine. Dont think I will be retiring my plunger any time soon. Anyone else have any experience of these things?

Re: Lavazza Blue

No, but you can bet with some certainty that the ground coffee in the capsule is older than 3 minutes!

Greg

Comment

Look at the volume of coffee to start with...

For a $ you can even afford to pull one apart...

Quick and dirty from the ones I have seen and the usual crema enhancement to give that coffee look.

A mate quite likes the one in his office area, as he says its better than instant.. The one at work has some issues with steam and the staff have requested people not to use it, as the noise annoys them... Oh we are so politically correct some times it is beyond a joke.

Comment

Their drinking instant annoys me.

Comment

If its anything like the nespresso capsule I cupped the other day at my parents joint, I bet it sucks big time. I could harldly stomach it. I had two sips for confirmation. Its a sin.

Comment

I can see a place for pods and pads in office environments because they are clean(ish) but most places will install a super auto instead.

At least in a superauto machine you can use good, fresh beans.

Most pod machines that I have seen will pull a whole cup of water through that little teaspoon of instant and grounds... **shudder**

Comment

Interesting comments. I wondered about the issue of crema enhancement - that might account for the slightly foreign taste. The Instant-drinkers think its great but I would rate it one step above Instant and nowhere as good as a plunger.
              I was not impressed with my colleagues Nespresso as the shots (regardless of type) all tasted very acid to me.

Comment

Drip filters are the best option for offices IMHO. makes a good 10 cups in a few minutes, and is easy to make an OK coffee that beats instant by a long way. Much cheaper too.

Comment

....and more caff to dose up the workers, than the spro!

Comment

Iv never tried the pod system but just like anything you always want to try it once and more then likely never again.

Actually saw a commercial machine for cafe that used a pod setup somewhere on the net.

Comment

We have a DeLonghi nespresso pod thing in our office and its not that bad when you find the right pod, alot of them have custom pods you can buy that differ from the ones that come with it and some are actually drinkable.. sure nothing great but they are sometimes the best of a bad situation.. :

Comment

Originally posted by 5E6E757B7468796E4F7578791C0 link=1232016427/9#9 date=1232431159
                        Iv never tried the pod system but just like anything you always want to try it once and more then likely never again.

Actually saw a commercial machine for cafe that used a pod setup somewhere on the net.
                        Theres a bakery in North Sydney that uses Illy pods in their machine.

Comment

The problem with Illy pods is the coffee is invariably stale and oxidized not long after you open to box. You at least get the right amount. Every cup Ive had from this system has been thin and bitter, but they are clean to use.

The Nesspesso system presumably flushes the canister with nitrogen after initial filling to get rid of the oxygen, so while it may be stale, has not been oxidized, so, if you get the right blend, tastes fine.

We had ground coffee and espresso machine at work and with very low volume found it was almost allways stale and a pain to clean up after. Nespresso fixed that (at a price)

Comment

I introduced an espresso machine at an office I worked at a little while back.
                            Coffee time was a big hit.
                            I took the machine with me when I finished my contract with them.
                            They subsequently got a $1/pod machine replacement.
                            Coffee time was never the same.  Soon most folk every went their own way, buying coffee out, etc., even though the employer was footing the bill for the pods.

Originally posted by 5C616D65770E0 link=1232016427/0#0 date=1232016427
                            first 30 capsules were consumed on the first day (everyone in the office tried one) ... which sell for $1
                            Thats $7500/year for 1 coffee/person/day for 30 people.
                            That would buy a plumbed in espresso machine, grinder, good fresh roasted delivered coffee.

Comment

Theres two lavazza blue machines in almost every metro station in milano, they seem to get a work out even though in most cases there was also a bar 50m away (machine was cheaper ), while a lifeless imitation of espresso I enjoyed the macchiatos and would be thankful to have one at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X