Zip Boil temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Boil temperature

At work when I use my plunger I fill it from the Zip Boil. Without thinking too much about it I just assumed it would dispense water at around high eighties or early nineties.
    The other day I decided to test it with the milk thermometer that came with the new office coffee machine - 70degrees!
    Is this hot enough for good plunger coffee?
    (I wouldnt rave about my plunger coffee)

Re: Zip Boil temperature

Dont trust those things they need to be regularly calibrated and can be out by heaps.

Comment

Its probably set low as an OH&S thing.

Comment

So what do folks think? Can you make good coffee in a plunger with hot water at 70degrees?

Comment

Hi Rocky

I havent tried it, but why dont you make some plunger coffee using the same coffee and method, but with hotter water, and let us know how it compares.

Cheers - Carrie

Comment

70 does sound very low - Im sure hte zip boiler at my work isnt far off boiling. Maybe time to get work to service it!

Comment

Originally posted by 4E6C7F7F6468460D0 link=1232016851/4#4 date=1232094173

Hi Rocky
              I havent tried it, but why dont you make some plunger coffee using the same coffee and method, but with hotter water, and let us know how it compares.
              Cheers - Carrie
              Hi Carrie, Yes, of course you are right, that is the obvious thing to do. Before I bought my Diadema I made my plunger coffee at home by boiling the electric jug which you would think would be producing water in the low 90s (?) . To tell the truth, the plunger coffee isnt remotely in the same class as the Diadema which is why I was fishing for comments about the impact of temperature on a plunger. I have to say the Diadema (& the good sponsors beans) has spoilt me for any other type of coffee.

Comment

Its such a lovely way to be spoilt though isnt it.    Most indulgences that feel this nice come with a big lump of guilt  :P  
                Good coffee is perfectly good. - Carrie [smiley=engel017.gif]

Comment

Hi Rocky,

I think that 70deg is too low to make decent plunger coffee.

Allowing for the possibility of the milk thermometer being out a bit and reading low, you might have 80deg water coming out of the Zip boiler....still too low.

Suggest try to force a heat cycle by using a lot of water to preheat your plunger, then pour as soon after the heat cycle stops (if you can hear it that is), maybe see if you can get the Zip boil serviced and see if it can be adjusted hotter, or find an electric jug to heat your water.
                  While I prefer espresso based drinks, I do like, and enjoy, well made plunger coffee, which is mostly my staple when at work.

Bullitt

Comment

Working...
                  X