Ristretto Doppio Ristretto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ristretto Doppio Ristretto?

Had coffee training the other night and the teacher showed us her way of  making a D.R.  She let the 1st drop of espresso pass the cup and go down the drain. I was shocked...until all I could taste was sweet sweet crema. She explained the 1st tiny tiny drop of espresso is very dark and unpleasent, and to experiment letting this drop pass. Who has tried this and who thinks its a no go?

Re: Ristretto Doppio Ristretto?

Renzo loves that over at at Di Bartolis.

I reckon theres some merit in it somewhere. Personally not how I roll, but I havent really given it a chance. Itd be interesting to do a side by side evaluation. Just add it to the list of tests to do hehe

Comment

In my experience, it tends to help with dark overroasted stuff and when the beans are well past peak....but then I dont drink that stuff.

I reckon not necessary with great beans and good technique but nevertheless, a good experiment to try....

2mcm

Comment

Ive heard it done.

Such an easy test to do too (cant believe that I havent got round to it). Drop it onto a teaspoon then capture the remainder in 3 separate cups. See if you can see what each portion contributes to a complete pour.

Comment

Worth trying with a naked PF. It could be enlightening to see whats going on.

Comment

Its got my vote - seems to take a lot of the bitterness out.

Comment

Ill give it a go.

CB

Comment

Letting the first bit go was a trick I used when I worked in cafes in the 90s seemed to make a nicer coffee. Will have to check it out to see if it holds with fresh beans and good technique.

Comment

When I started work at a cafe in Darwin I was trained to skip the first few dark drops when pouring an espresso/ristretto. But since Ive been making coffee at home its never crossed my mind - could be an interesting experiment though...

Comment

Yup, did it when I first started drinking real, fresh coffee as part of the experimental phase to determine the stages in coffee extraction, and also still do it for people who are quarter-strength please.

Definitely reduces the acidity from the first part of the pour. When doing it for people who are occasional coffee drinkers, or new to espresso, I usually let nearly the whole first second of the pour go, catch the sweet mid-section and stop well before blonding.

To use someone elses idea (I cant remember whose), use a spoon handle. Wave it under the pour a three or four times during the pour at specific times and taste each section. Youll pretty soon find out why people do this kind of ristretto. Yum. And if you use a bottomless PF at the same time, youll have a great head-start on the visuals.

Comment

its interesting because instaurator in his book claims this as a Data Free Observation and thinks the beginning few drops of the pour are the most flavoursome.
                      in my experience the first few drops add body to an espresso or ristretto because they are so dense with coffee oils. but you could probably call this a DFO as well :-/

Comment

I was out for dinner with my karate master tonight and decided Id try the coffee on offer.
                        Italian restaurant, food was good, everyone else ordered the coffee, why not?

I asked for a doppio ristretto, "No problem" was the reply.

When my coffee finally arrived, it didnt look right.
                        The guy next to me got a short black delivered at the same time.
                        However, mine looked like.....half a long black (Americano).
                        The waiter took it away, checked with the "barista" and brought it back.

I then described to him what I was after and off he went to give it another go.

What came back was the right amount of coffee in an espresso cup.
                        The taste was OK but there was no crema and no body or mouthfeel to the liquid.
                        If I was a cynic Id say they managed to pour the original coffee into a new cup.

Have I gone mad (dont even think about it)?
                        In what world is a doppio ristretto a short long black?

Has anyone else seen something like this arrive at their table?

Comment

WBC competitors never let the first drops pass...so im guessing its a no no? or maybe because they get marked down on dirty drip trays?

Comment

Originally posted by 5F637E656F6E796C646F0B0 link=1232489232/11#11 date=1234015316

If I was a cynic Id say they managed to pour the original coffee into a new cup.

I took my mum out for a coffee last year, found a great looking cafe and ordered mum a cap and an espresso for me. Mums cap looked ok, milk was froth etc but normal for most cafes, but to my amazement my "espresso" came in a 200ml capo cup and was half full, Americano yes, espresso no....but on looking at the young coffee maker behind the machine, the doser full to the brim with stale grounds I drank my long black vowing never to return.

Comment

Originally posted by 30253232393A3639570 link=1232489232/13#13 date=1234387339
                              Originally posted by 5F637E656F6E796C646F0B0 link=1232489232/11#11 date=1234015316

I took my mum out for a coffee last year, found a great looking cafe and ordered mum a cap and an espresso for me. Mums cap looked ok, milk was froth etc but normal for most cafes, but to my amazement my "espresso" came in a 200ml capo cup and was half full, Americano yes, espresso no....but on looking at the young coffee maker behind the machine, the doser full to the brim with stale grounds I drank my long black vowing never to return.
                              I usually ask for a doppio ristretto as I am under the assumtion that if the coffee is bad it should make it a little better (blonding, I have been told, is the start of bitterness, due to extracting acid, not oil. Enough commas?).

Doesnt this go against the idea of letting the first drops go?
                              Maybe this idea works on machines with no preinfusion?

It is also funny/sad when the "barista" has a blank look in his/her eyes when you ask for one.
                              I think that the order of learning to make coffee on an espresso machine should be;
                              1. espresso (short black)
                              2. Ristretto
                              3. doppio ristretto
                              4. THEN cafe latte

Thats when I realise that ordering a doppio ristretto to minimise the chance of a bad coffee is pointless (and realise Im going off topic!)
                              If a barista doesnt know what a doppio ristretto is, its likely to be bad.
                              If a barista does know what a doppio ristretto is, its more likely to be good!?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X