No announcement yet.

Where Can I get a home setup in Japan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Can I get a home setup in Japan??

Hi, I Have moved to Japan- Osaka and no longer make coffee- but I miss it. Prob is- I cant find any place that sells decent machines. Im not looking to spend much- maybe around 600$aud. So for that price is the sunbeam cafe series the best? Anyone know a place that can ship to Japan? Coffee here really sucks. The only good place I ave found Is in the Diamaru dept store in Kobe- about 6bucks for an espresso! oh well...

Re: Where Can I get a home setup in Japan??

After some judicious internet surfing I found this in Japan

Paul Bassett located just of Shinjuku station.
    http://www.paulbassett.jp/index.html

KK

Comment

The Paul Bassett shop doesnt sell equipment but you might be able to ask someone there where you might buy it. $600 wont get you much.

An alternative is to buy a coffee syphon, as you are in the home of Hario:

http://www.harioglass.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 7D776275757A6E681B0 link=1232672580/2#2 date=1232677423
        The Paul Bassett shop doesnt sell equipment but you might be able to ask someone there where you might buy it. $600 wont get you much.

An alternative is to buy a coffee syphon, as you are in the home of Hario:

http://www.harioglass.com/
        So the paul basset series isnt any good? Seriously, I have never used a home machine so I honestly dont know whats good. About how much do i need to to spend to make myself a decent espresso every morning and make the occasional latte art to impress my wifes friends? Im willing to wait and save....

Comment

BTW, thanks for the replies

Comment

You really need to budget for a decent grinder as well as a machine. Whatever quality is lost upstream can never be recovered, no matter how good the machine is.

You can get a half-decent Sunbeam here, although I dont know if the appliance shops will post to Japan, and it would likely be expensive. At the Sunbeam level a comparable grinder will cost between $150 and $450.

If espresso is not required then a grinder and a syphon, or similar would be a good choice.

You could get away with total manual--a grinder and a presso", even shipped, should come in below $600, although a latte would require some extra work.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 1B2E393B0B332E313D30385C0 link=1232672580/5#5 date=1232806720
              You really need to budget for a decent grinder as well as a machine. Whatever quality is lost upstream can never be recovered, no matter how good the machine is.

You can get a half-decent Sunbeam here, although I dont know if the appliance shops will post to Japan, and it would likely be expensive. At the Sunbeam level a comparable grinder will cost between $150 and $450.

If espresso is not required then a grinder and a syphon, or similar would be a good choice.

You could get away with total manual--a grinder and a presso", even shipped, should come in below $600, although a latte would require some extra work.

Good luck.
              i definately need espressos! maybe ill contsct that jap version paul basset vsite and ask them. i figured that grinders would be easier to get here than machines- i could bed wrong..

Comment

Just remember that any machine you might buy from Australia is going to be rated for 240v power, and I believe Japan is on 110v? Perhaps youd be better placed looking for something from the US if you cant find something in Japan.

You might be able to find a silvia and accompanying grinder from a US store that can ship to Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by 61706170627C646377110 link=1232672580/3#3 date=1232711608
                  So the paul basset series isnt any good?  
                  Didnt say that. Just that I checked the link that KK provided and it didnt seem to mention coffee equip for sale. Ive been known to be wrong tho.

Originally posted by 70727E7676787F62110 link=1232672580/7#7 date=1232829848
                  I believe Japan is on 110v
                  100 volt actually

How long are you in Japan for PS? If its for quite some time, save up for a decent machine but do some research in the meantime.

I think the import option may be prohibitively expensive (see this link - note that the post was dated 2007)

I still recommend the grinder + syphon (or other manual equipment) in the meantime. But dont forget youll also have to source a place that sells freshly roasted coffee beans - Paul Bassett shop does have this at Y1200 per 200g bag (roughly AU$20).

You may have to be patient and get to know the place a bit better first.

Comment

Working...
                  X