12 oz as a regular coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 oz as a regular coffee?

When did a "regular coffee" become a 12 oz? It is becoming more and more common from my customers. I am pointing the finger at GJ and Maccas, when will consumers realise that bigger isnt better!!!

Re: 12 oz as a regular coffee?

Well, ever since I started and before at my current workplace, they have to my knowledge always had a 12oz as a regular and a 16oz as a large. And seeing as Ive been there for three years, its been like that for a while at least.

I dont like the 8oz takeaway (though we have used them for our mobile machine) as I reckon that theyre a bit of a rip off...a 12oz is a perfect size for a takeaway imo...

We charge 3.80 for a 12oz and 4.30 for the 16oz, incase that was going to be your next question...

Comment

as long as the coffee/milk ratio is kept the same, this is good. too many places use the same amount of coffee for an 8oz as they do for 12oz and just add more milk, or they extract more water through the grinds and you end up with bitter lattes etc.

Comment

I do get put off when I order a double shot flat white and the cafe worker with a huge smile (as if theyre about to make my day) holds up a porcelain bucket and says I could make you a big mug if you want. Noooo thanks, I would like a double shot flat white, not two (or three) flat whites in a bucket...we have some shocking cafes where I am from...they really are bucket size!

I think a good range of sizes is best.

And dont even mention the size of the coffee cups on NCIS on television! Who could drink that much of anything!

Comment

Yep I have noticed this too, and I also think GJ, Maccas, $tarbucks etc are to blame for this.

IMHO 16oz is stupid. its close to a godamn pint of milk!!!

A double shot in a 16oz cup would be way way too weak methinks. Do people actually want to taste the coffee in australia?? Or do they just like warm milky drinks?

Single shot in 8oz and double in 12oz seems to be a good enough balance. scoota gal, do you guys serve a single shot in the 12oz cup?

Comment

Originally posted by 506B746C6176040 link=1233898662/4#4 date=1233901254
            Single shot in 8oz and double in 12oz seems to be a good enough balance.  scoota gal, do you guys serve a single shot in the 12oz cup?
            The balance is out with this one as you double the coffee but only add 50% to the milk so you have changed the ratios.

20 24 oz cups seem to be the norm on NCIS, for it to taste right you would need 4-5 shots of coffee!!! But it would be cold by the time you get near the bottom!!!!

Comment

Yeah it is out a bit - ratio is small at 1:8 vs large at 1:6.

But it just seems like its the common thing to do. 16oz is really, really big! Would it fit in the car cup holder?

Comment

Originally posted by 6358475F5245370 link=1233898662/6#6 date=1233902730
                Yeah it is out a bit - ratio is small at 1:8 vs large at 1:6.  

But it just seems like its the common thing to do. 16oz is really, really big!  Would it fit in the car cup holder?    
                Yep fits in mine and love it when they make TWO, off one shot....

Ummmm Great tasting coffee er er I mean hot milk

Comment

unfortunately or fortunately we are seeing that many cafes are opting for 12oz only for takeaway...

i agree with the comments made so far.... a. it depends on the clientele... b. you need to get the ratio right or forget about it c. vote with your feet...

my preference...... coffee in a cup in a store, enjoying the ambience and artistry that is involved.....

Comment

Originally posted by 7342554C4D4A414C5A230 link=1233898662/3#3 date=1233900654
                    I do get put off when I order a double shot flat white and the cafe worker with a huge smile (as if theyre about to make my day) holds up a porcelain bucket and says I could make you a big mug if you want. Noooo thanks, I would like a double shot flat white, not two (or three) flat whites in a bucket...we have some shocking cafes where I am from...they really are bucket size!
                    I am too afraid to ask for a double shot out where we live --> in fear of what we will get.

Often they just hit the button a second time and let the water pour through the spent puck - there you go - a double shot!!!!  <yuk>

No wander coffee tastes so much better at home ;D

Comment

On the other side of the coin, as a fairly regular consumer of take away lattes, I always get the large or jumbo (I guess 12 oz or 16 oz) because it lasts longer back in my workplace. Youll probably all take after me with a large cricket bat, too, because I usually ask for it to be Extra Hot.

Yeah, I know, Im an heathen, but its still better than making an instant back in the office, nest pas?

Ive always gone for the largest for as long as I remember and it actually pre-dates my (now long gone) days of Maccas or GJs. I was doing it about 10 years ago when I travelled down to Sydney for meetings on a monthly basis and when I went to a cafe under the building at our Head Office. I would sometimes have so many of these during one day that, by the time I went back to my motel room at night time, I couldnt sleep! I needed them to get through the meetings, though... :-? They always used a double shot in the larger cups, though, so they didnt skimp on coffee:milk.

Cheers
                      Di

Comment

Originally posted by 290E180A12610 link=1233898662/10#10 date=1233905566
                        ..... I usually ask for it to be Extra Hot......

Cheers
                        Di
                        Hoyks!,

PLEASE buy a sipper traveller and get them to make your coffee in that!

A milky coffee held at correct temperature is much better than a vulcanised coffee allowed to cool.

oO(cardboard milk with complimentary skin...EWW)

Comment

Mmmm A double in 12 oz is weak to my taste triple baskets needed as to 16oz time Starbucks went home !!! As to Coffee volume my 12 oz (3cup Syphon berw) in the mornings is just perfect

Comment

:-? 12oz / 16oz ???

In case anyone else couldnt picture the sizes in question  :-[ ,  the conversion is: 1 fluid ounce is appx 28.5ml.  
                            So 12oz is 342ml & 16oz is 456ml.

-Carrie  

Comment

Originally posted by 032E05222B2B26470 link=1233898662/8#8 date=1233903820

my preference...... coffee in a cup in a store, enjoying the ambience and artistry that is involved.....

Agree........ on the subject, I notice that lots of people now ask for takeaway cups even though they are staying in to drink. Its not just where I work either.......is this another GJ thing??? Most say they just like it that way - a few reckon that it stays hotter longer, each to their own, but I dont really get it. :-?

Comment

Working...
                              X