The Various Flavors of Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Various Flavors of Coffee

I had a serendipitous event at Borders today. Looking for books by the French philosopher Albert Camus I came across this book by Anthony Capella curiously titled, The Various Flavors of Coffee.

Taken from Amazon

Food aficionado Capella (The Food of Love) brews a tale of a young poet-turned-coffee-expert in 19th-century England. Robert Wallis, a lazy 20-something poet, meets a man in an artists cafe and soon has a job. With his talent for over-description, Wallis is the perfect employee for Samuel Pinker, a coffee merchant wanting to create a guide to the worlds coffee beans. Unfortunately, Wallis falls short trying to woo Pinkers daughter Emily with charming epigrams and his oversized ego. To spare his daughter from scandal, Pinker sends Wallis on a journey around the world, and the real story begins. Political issues of the time—from the slave trade to womens rights—provide the backdrop for Walliss expedition. Navigating a series of unpredictable challenges, Wallis transforms from an apathetic charmer to a poised young man. Despite the lack of food details prevalent in Capellas earlier work—coffee doesnt have quite the same appeal—the surprising plot twists and authentic love story will make this a crowd pleaser. (Sept. 2)
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

I has any of my fellow coffeesnobs read this book?

Re: The Various Flavors of Coffee

Ha, I bought it today. Looking forward to putting the kids to bed tonight

Comment

Make sure you have Ted Lingles Coffee Cuppers Handbook close by

Comment

Originally posted by 3D21213E25440 link=1234929881/2#2 date=1234938664
        Make sure you have Ted Lingles Coffee Cuppers Handbook close by  
        Stirrer ;D

For those who havnt read it http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1232283238

Comment

Originally posted by 7077737C747E6B7B7C75120 link=1234929881/3#3 date=1234940630
          Originally posted by 3D21213E25440 link=1234929881/2#2 date=1234938664
          Make sure you have Ted Lingles Coffee Cuppers Handbook close by [ch65533]
          Stirrer [ch65533];D

For those who havnt read it http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1232283238
          Actually, a lot of the chapters start with a quote from the Lingle book, or from Lenoirs Nez du Café notes.

Im only up to page 25 so far, but its really good. And incidentally, on pg 25 is the description of the first experience of an espresso; quite wonderful.

Now I just need my Lingle as well ... ooh, Michelles getting so many great books this week!!!

Comment

LOL!!
            I was waiting to see how long it would take before it was discovered on CS!!!!
            This book is awesome!!! Bit of a chick book, but heck, I luv how it cleverly gets the masses excited about the craft of cupping and tasting single origins and specialty coffee.

(Hey Michelle - youll like the bit when he gets to Africa  )

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by 1A61116869176D166B590 link=1234929881/5#5 date=1234955451
              LOL!!
              I was waiting to see how long it would take before it was discovered on CS!!!!
              This book is awesome!!! Bit of a chick book, but heck, I luv how it cleverly gets the masses excited about the craft of cupping and tasting single origins and specialty coffee.

(Hey Michelle - youll like the bit when he gets to Africa  )

Anne
              Well, Im now up to pg 180, and have this inexplicable craving for a blueberry-laden Harrar.

Goodness, its a bit more ... umm ... woo-woo than I expected

But still, loving all the cupping notes and tastings that happen through the story. I dont think Ive ever read anything that has such a surfeit of sensory evocations.

It does touch on some rather more serious themes as well, such as the slave trade, and the womens suffrage movement.

Comment

Did the book happen to mention...

Originally posted by 7453495851515459584D49553D0 link=1234867951/6#6 date=1234959325
                delightful aromatic mix of hot soggy weetbix and bushfire.
                ;-)

an interesting and accurate description of the aroma of post roast on good clothes.

;D

Comment

Working...
                X