X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry_Duncan
    replied
    Hello Dan,

Thanks for that information about research.

I see that coffee is both good and bad for us.

I understand that a lot of the results of research come by mistake such as the discovery of penicillin.

Scientific researchers often have to “publish or perish” as they seek finance.

Governments have tended to reduce their research and encourage the drug companies to increase theirs. These companies make more money from us not by curing us but by keeping us alive and dependant on more of their drugs.

There is an old saying “you are what you eat”. I will continue to eat more fish and chicken than beef, have more tomatoes and red wine and maintain my 5 coffees a day.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• dan110024
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry_Duncan View Post
    New research has shown that the cure of colon cancer patients is improved by drinking coffee.

Coffee Lowers Risk of Colon Cancer Recurrence: Study

“The study found that people with advanced (stage III) colon cancer who drank four or more cups of caffeinated coffee every day had 52 percent lower odds of disease recurrence or cancer death compared with coffee abstainers.”

While I don’t believe I have cancer, the 5 coffees I have each day may help to keep me cancer free.

Barry
    It's good to take the "latest cancer research" with a grain of salt if you're not literate in the field or know how to properly analyse a paper.

This is a good read on why to generally ignore any such news articles on the matter...

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/23/8264355...rch-study-hype

Leave a comment:

• Barry_Duncan
    replied
    New research has shown that the cure of colon cancer patients is improved by drinking coffee.

Coffee Lowers Risk of Colon Cancer Recurrence: Study

“The study found that people with advanced (stage III) colon cancer who drank four or more cups of caffeinated coffee every day had 52 percent lower odds of disease recurrence or cancer death compared with coffee abstainers.”

While I don’t believe I have cancer, the 5 coffees I have each day may help to keep me cancer free.

Barry

Leave a comment:

• coffee_snob
    replied
    Re: Coffee IS Good for you!

i think i better up my intake as well... need more coffee breaks

Leave a comment:

• redzone121
    replied

Shot Moto

Just make sure those bath crystals arent decaf

Chris

Leave a comment:

• blanyon
    replied

Just another reason to drink up, I wonder if it would also work if you started to bathe in it? ;D

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25113441-2,00.html

Leave a comment:

• redzone121
    replied

Originally posted by 23383A362408242D383B3B38243E570 link=1235105691/15#15 date=1235338860
    hey redzone

i have heard that even up to 3-4 days prior to competition it is recommended that athletes cease caffeine intake, based on the research that the body will have a lower tolerance and an increased response and therfore greater increase in performance on race day.
    in regards to training approx 2hrs before a session is more beneficial.

let me know your thoughts

cheers
    CE
    Yes CE that makes perfect sense, that is a large stand down period though. No good for us snobs mate

Cheers

Chris

Leave a comment:

• bolb
    replied

Hi CE

If i am using the Mocha Java Decaf from the beanbay then no, the espresso is just as good, i also source green decaf beans from a roaster and while the espresso is good, its not as good as the beanbay decaf.

Give the beanbay decaf a go, i think you will be pleasantly surprised by it.

Mal

Leave a comment:

• tomas_szollosi
    replied

Originally posted by 5F4849574243481C1F1C2D0 link=1235105691/12#12 date=1235294774
    With regard to caffeine and cycling or any exercise for that matter my understanding is you have to be caffeine free (2 days without any) to gain any extra benefit be it pre workout or post workout.
    hey redzone

i have heard that even up to 3-4 days prior to competition it is recommended that athletes cease caffeine intake, based on the research that the body will have a lower tolerance and an increased response and therfore greater increase in performance on race day.
    in regards to training approx 2hrs before a session is more beneficial.

let me know your thoughts

cheers
    CE

Leave a comment:

• tomas_szollosi
    replied

hey mal

good to hear you are keeping active on a weekly basis. i find consistency in exercise, no matter what level, is a very important aspect of a training or weight loss program. just a quick question relating to decaf, do you find the flavour of decaf drematically reduces the espresso expierience? i have been thinking of buying some decaf so i can have an espresso later in the night and still be able to sleep well

cheers

CE

Leave a comment:

• bolb
    replied

HI CE
    The program we are on dont massively push excercise but rather advise a balance of everything. They probably figure pushing people to massive amounts of exercise is not sustainable for most people and as has been stated a little of everything helps to build an appropriate lifestyle.

While i dont really have time for exercise as a rule, the coach of my sons basketball team has started this new year with the kids playing the parents for the last 20 mins of coaching and its really hard work either catching or getting away from the kids. The coach figures the harder we push the kids at skill levels in a game scenario the better they will be.

This has happened for three weeks now and i tend to agree with him as their overall game play and team work has improved. On the plus side i get 20 min of a solid workout on a monday night.

As i reach my goal weight i will need to build a new roaster (going to use KKs design) to easily handle smaller batches of coffee especially given SWMBO will probably still be on decaf when i am not, i want the variety of flavours back.

Mal

Leave a comment:

• redzone121
    replied

Good point CE and welcome to CS  

Several big name W/loss programs actually advise against exercise  :-[

With regard to caffeine and cycling or any exercise for that matter my understanding is you have to be caffeine free (2 days without any) to gain any extra benefit be it pre workout or post workout.

Keep me posted CE if you come across any further info, I know the AIS is ons it game regarding this and as a Trainer or more importantly a Snob its good to keep up with the play  

Cheers Chris.

Leave a comment:

• tomas_szollosi
    replied

Originally posted by 303D3E30520 link=1235105691/3#3 date=1235127613

I run on caffeine
    Berwick
    Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009, 10:00pm So Dr Dave

I am curious, if coffee helps you loose weight, why would at least 3 major weight loss programs suggest a change to decaffeinated coffee or have a maxmimum of one normal coffee per day?
    hey mal

i am an elite cyclist and have read a lot of studies relating to caffeine intake prior to training and also post training to enhance recovery. the research showed that caffeine mobilises fat stores and therefore makes then more readily available for use as an energy source during exercise. so i guess the weight loss programs you refer to may not be taking into account physical training?

Leave a comment:

• Dr_Dave
    replied

Hi All,
    It is a newspaper article for interest not hard science, however it has reasonable validity. I thought it may be of interest to Coffee snobs
    As to the decaf. - I cannot see why this would influence weight gain/loss vs. non decaff. If you are adding full cream milk, then a different story.
    Many health proffessionals state the "90% rule" - eat well 90% of the time , but treat your self occaisonally. If the diet is SO regimented people dont stick to them. Hence the huge number of people that begin diets and give up.
    So dont be afraid to have a decent coffee with milk if thats what you want. Moderation is key.
    As Redzone says - energy in vs. energy out. or put another way you cannot fatten a sheep in a concrete pen! ( Obviously Im from NZ)

Finally - well done Mal. Keep up the good work
    Dr Dave

Leave a comment:

• Coffee2Di4
    replied

Im still stunned at the fact that coffee has fibre in it...just one more reason why I drink it!!!

Is that true, or is it just that Ive misconstrued the sentence (please dont dash my hopes!)

I dont exercise (Im allergic to it!), but I do do tap dance for an hour twice a week and practise whenever Im standing in one spot for more than 30 seconds...after 12 months of doing this, my feet, ankles, legs and bottom are now like steel! Just a pity I cant get the something with the same enjoyment factor for my upper half...

Cheers
    Di

Leave a comment:

Working...
X