Robusta Please (no I am not swearing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robusta Please (no I am not swearing)

I would be interested in trying a little blending using a low percentage Robusta of some sort. I have been playing with Indian MM and Brazil BB in smaller percentages and like them for a bit of oomph but I am keen to try a Robusta alternate.

Actual Type Andys choice as always or suggest one you have used and liked in the past?

Re: Robusta (please dont hate me)

Certainly wont hate you, we have offered many quality robustas over the years.  Mostly Indian but some others too.

We had a Monsson robusta once that was pretty groovy and worked well in blends lots of crema with a slightly tamer robusta punch.

I have a roasted customer with a custom blend that is 50% robusta... and he loves it that way. I always have some robusta at the Snobbery, it must be about time again that we offer some here too.

Comment

Re: Robusta Please (no I am not swearing)

Cheers Andy,

feeling better about asking now I had a bit of a read about the Monsoon Robusta this morning but it seemed to be the last one offered earlier last year.

As I havent tried a Robusta as a SO not sure what to expect with it in a blend but it is fun playing 8-)

Apart from the official secrets (you would have to kill me if you told me) act do many commercial roasters use Robusta in their espresso blends or only a few?

Comment

Originally posted by 7374707F777D68787F76110 link=1235181819/2#2 date=1235188368
        do many commercial roasters use Robusta in their espresso blends
        Good ones do!  

Ive had two different sponsor coffees in the last fortnight that had some robusta in them.

Robusta is a just a bean variety, different beans have different characteristics, different farms and processing result in different characteristics, different blending and roasting.... you get the idea.

A good roaster can find a place for any good bean.  

The marketing might of "100% Arabica" forced the public perception that anything not Arabica was bad.  

NOT TRUE

For me, while I dont currently offer any robusta (or blends containing robusta) in BeanBay at the moment I might one day.  I have a couple "private label" blends that I roast that contain robusta and they are great.

I often yabber-on about "Zen with the bean".  Getting a bean, learning about it, roasting it 5 different ways to find its hidden secrets and then finding its best place in your coffee world is part of that "Zen"

...its also a fun part of the journey when you can turn a "Oh? Dear God!" bean into a "Oooohhh, Dear God!" bean.

8-)

Comment

Andy,

If you were to offer your private label 50% robusta blend through Brown Bay, I would be very interested in trying it.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I am a big fan of Gourmet Robusta Beans as they provide so much complexity to the blend and also add that certain Kick to it. So Ill be very interested if you are to offer some more Robusta bean in the coming month Andy.

Beanflying, as to your comment regarding SO Robusta, I have tried the Monsooned Robusta as a SO and it wasnt a very pleasant experience, lots of rubbery and Plastic burning smell. But I know there are Robustas out there that can be drank as a SO.

Comment

Originally posted by 2D2E2C2021222A263C3B2A3D4F0 link=1235181819/5#5 date=1235284423
              lots of rubbery and Plastic burning smell.
              ...maybe if you get the roast wrong.
              Try a different profile / approach.

;-)

Comment

Might be more that instant is made primarily from Robusta therefore all robusta tastes like instant may be the perception (not the fact) Anyway count me in for a couple of bags of one or two types depending on what you can get that looks interesting.

Currently sitting in the Lotus position chanting Mmmmmmmalabar Mmmmmmmalabar trying to find the inner enlightened bean

On the monsooned one if it is anything like the monsoon Malabar then it runs from FC straight to RSC if you are not really careful to slow down the roast just on FC. My first roast nearly got away from me, still tasted great Recent ones have been much more controlled 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 5F707A671E0 link=1235181819/6#6 date=1235293404

...maybe if you get the roast wrong.
                  Try a different profile / approach.

;-)
                  Hmm.... Any advice on the roast Andy? I normally go quite dark on these to eliminate the funky smell, but as you said I may be doing it all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 5C5B5F505852475750593E0 link=1235181819/7#7 date=1235294600
                    Currently sitting in the Lotus position chanting Mmmmmmmalabar Mmmmmmmalabar trying to find the inner enlightened bean
                    Yeah, thats the one.  Simmering some Snobby Chai on the stove helps too.

Originally posted by 5C5B5F505852475750593E0 link=1235181819/7#7 date=1235294600
                    On the monsooned one if it is anything like the monsoon Malabar then it runs from FC straight to RSC if you are not really careful to slow down the roast just on FC.
                    Yes, monsooned beans are weird to roast because you dont have to "steam the water out".  They tend to start the actual roasting process much earlier (given the same heat profile as other "normal" moisture content beans) and can easily run away.

Originally posted by 5C5F5D5150535B574D4A5B4C3E0 link=1235181819/8#8 date=1235308084
                    Any advice on the roast Andy?  
                    Yes...

Originally posted by 7F505A473E0 link=1235181819/3#3 date=1235196316
                    Getting a bean, learning about it, roasting it 5 different ways to find its hidden secrets and then finding its best place in your coffee world  
                    ;D

How you roast, how I roast, what you like, what I like... all variables.  There is no magic pill I can offer except try something different.  

The whole joy of home roasting is the journey and learning what works for YOU along the way.

Also, take lots of notes so you know where to start next time.

Comment

I have some friends at the local bowling alley - they like strong coffee to keep them awake.

A) Would an espresso with just robusta beans be to strong?
                      2) Anyone near Pennant Hills NSW willing to sell a little to me?

Comment

Originally posted by 6B6E796A6760750F0 link=1235181819/10#10 date=1240568098
                        A) Would an espresso with just robusta beans be to strong?
                        Ill let you know tomorrow.... Giving some of Dens from CuppaCoffee a burl tomorrow

Mal.

Comment

Hi Dave,

tried a few robusta blends of my own now and no not to strong but most likely keep to 10% or less. The flavour hit is huge with straight beans but I havny tried the Monsooned ones from last month. The first blend I did was with 15% and it overpowered the Harrar base.

Also Luca made a sugguestion of letting the Robustas age more than the base beans before blending to mute down the flavour hit (I have some resting till next week).

So maybe if you can get some try a blend of 10% for a start and take it from there.

Comment

As promised...

My thoughts on CuppaCoffee s Robusta and a few photos here.... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1238486416/50#68

Quite surprisingly very pleasant to drink as a Piccolo and quite happy to finish off the rest of the bag. Id recommend getting some from Den and trying it out for yourself. If youre not happy using it straight then you could try adding it in varying percentages to some of your home-roasted S.O. beans to see how it affects them in a blend...

Mal.

Comment

I always add 10% Monsooned Robusta to my roasts. Just adds so much to the cup. Serve up a Duralex glass with a black in it with a head like a beer on top to a friend and soak up the expression on their face - priceless.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X