Naples: Caffe Sospeso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naples: Caffe Sospeso

A recent coffeeratings.com blog post alerted not only to the existence of the Cucina Italiana magazine web site (they have a web site? score!), but also to an article on coffee on that web site.

This snippet was interesting:

In Naples a visit to the caffè might end with an act of charity. According to Luciano De Crescenzo, novelist and expert in Neapolitan social customs, it is not uncommon for a contented patron to pay for two cups of espresso when he gets to the cashier—one for himself and one as an offering to humanity, or to the guy lucky enough to be next in line. This extra coffee is commonly referred to as a caffè sospeso, or a dangling espresso.
    (I would pause to note that in Rome, one always paid for their coffee up front - Im guessing that the same is true of Naples.)

Seems like this might be of interest to CS members, given the success of the pay it forward threads.

Id love to see caffe sospeso on a cafe menu!

Cheers,

Luca

Re: Naples: Caffe Sospeso

Originally posted by 5C455351300 link=1235277728/0#0 date=1235277728
    Id love to see caffe sospeso on a cafe menu!
    I seem to recall that there is a relatively recent café in Melbourne that has Café Sospeso on the menu...

A bit of googling later and I discovered that it was a blog post by Simon James that informed me of it with his Christmas post...

http://sdotjames.wordpress.com/2008/12/28/tis-the-season/

It is Café Sospeso on Burwood Rd in Hawthorn opposite Swinburne University.

cheers,
    James

Comment

Neat!

From Simons blog:

Sospeso - The Coffee in Suspension.

One of my neighbours is part owner of a café on Burwood Rd in Hawthorn – Sospeso (opposite Swinburne Uni). I’ve been meaning to get to it since it opened a couple of months ago, but only got around to it last week. I knew that they were serving Fair Trade coffee, Free Range eggs etc. with an ethical approach. However I was unaware of the significance of the name “Sospeso”. It comes from a tradition in Naples where customers can order a “Suspended” coffee. As a sign of your good fortune, you can order a café “Sospeso”. You pay for 2 coffees and receive 1. When someone not so fortunate comes along, they can ask the Barista if there are any “Sospeso” coffees available, and they receive the “Suspended” coffee. It’s an honour system and, when I was at Sospeso last week, they had 21 “Sospeso” coffees available. Café Sospeso are looking at how they can distribute these coffees, as the program is in its early days and they don’t have many less fortunate people walking through their door.
      Seems to me that thats not a great way to do it. No one is going to ask for the sospeso; it should just be offered to the next person to order.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I order them all the time.... they usually both end up on my table though

Comment

Originally posted by 6D746260010 link=1235277728/2#2 date=1235279560
          Seems to me that thats not a great way to do it.No one is going to ask for the sospeso; it should just be offered to the next person to order.
          Agreed.

During that short time I worked behind a machine an old bloke walked in and carefully counted his change before deciding he could afford to order a coffee.
          When he ordered he said if it was good hed have another. I was very proud when he did order a second one and a little sad when he noticed shortly after starting on that second cup that hed run out of time and had to go, leaving it behind.

It did appear to me that he wasnt very well off and maybe he would the type of person that would benefit from and a appreciate the occasional suspeso.

I know its not right to assume but I will in this case.

As Luca has said "no one is going to ask for the sospeso" (generally), so the surprise for someone following seems the best way to do it.

Comment

All coffees purchased in Italy must be paid for first at the cashier in the cafe. The barista will only make a coffee if u show them the receipt issued.

Ive travelled extensively over Italy (incl Naples) and and never experienced a dangling espresso!!

Wega Sphera EPU, Mazzer Mini, Coffeelab Tamper,

Comment

Working...
            X