One less place for good coffee on Sunny Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One less place for good coffee on Sunny Coast

I just read with dismay and disgust that Pioneer Coffee have had to shut their cafe at the Sunshine Coast airport, as they lost their tender bid to carry on operating. >

It seems that all but one of the previous businesses have lost their bids to carry on operating. Looks like the airport management just want to bring in big global companies who no doubt can pay much more than the previous owners in rent.

So now instead of getting a decent coffee when Im waiting to fly out of the airport, all I can look forward to is all bowl of soggy salad. So much for supporting local businesses in these difficult times.

Re: One less place for good coffee on Sunny Coast

Thanks Gar,

The situation is much worse than what you see. Let me start by saying that we in no way want the airport(council) to change their decision, we just want people to know what happened to us. I would expect this kind of treatment from the old mayor , but not from Bob Abbot who everyone I know voted for because of his commitment to local economy and way of life.

6 months ago we were invited to bid on a tender in the Airport redevelopment. We were specifically told 2 things: 1) we want to keep local business in the airport to give it a uniquely Sunshine Coast feel and 2) do not worry about turnover figures as everyone will be paying 15% of their turnover as rent.

4 months later we found out that they had given 7 of 7 catering shops to 1 company, Spotless Catering. We were specifically told that they were not going to put in a coffee shop, but rather offer coffee through a food store. We were also at this point offered a spot for a cart outside the terminal building. We declined the spot outside for the simple reason that to enter the airport you needed to go through security screening (no drinks). We have talked to a lot of staff of the airport as they are all regulars at our espresso bar. Rumour is that the Coffee Club is moving in as well.

I was accepting of their decision as it makes business sense to deal with 1 company as opposed to 6. However, on Friday there was an article in the local paper where the Airport manager was saying that the decision was made with the local economy in mind and it would mean more local jobs. What more they said that none of the current operators wanted to stay. What a pile of proverbial!!!

The good news is that we are reinvesting the small setup at the airport into our Roastery and wholesale operation. The bad news is all our loyal customers will be subjected to another identical regional airport experience, and 7 loyal staff are out of work.

Thanks to all who supported us there over the last 3 years, oh..... and dont vote Big Bob!

Jason

Comment

4 months later we found out that they had given 7 of 7 catering shops to 1 company, Spotless Catering.

So the consumer will be screwed too as there will be no competition.

Airport management p*ss me off. Having worked on an airport for many years Ive seen general aviation screwed only to be replaced by Bunnings warehouses and fast food stores. They dont give a rats about anything except $$$$. Biggest bunch of incompetents I have ever come across. I know business is in business to make money but they are smiling assassins, giving false statements about how great they will make things only to screw anybody trying to make a living.

Hope it all goes well Jason. Stay as far away from aviation as possible.

/rant.

Comment

What can you say? Politicians.....

Mal.

Comment

Its a lose for the Sunshine Coast airport and hopefully a win for those outside of the airport. Ive already heard other complaints about the way people are getting treated when they go there. Totally unnecessary and totally NOT what the Coast is about, IMHO.

I can only hope that the discerning passenger will decide with their feet and wait till they leave the airport to get to their fave spot for a great cup of coffee...

And let the rest of the plebs spend big bucks on crap coffee...they will get what they pay for...

Aviation is great...if you dont have to go to a managed airport!

Comment

Here is an article the local rag published on Saturday. I contacted them in reply to an article in Fridays paper where the Airport management was bragging about how well they supported the local economy.

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2009/feb/21/airport-coffee-meets-bitter-end/

P.S. I think this is the first time my coffee and bitter have been used in the same sentence

Oh, and it is a file photo from 4 years ago, a wife, 2 kids and a beard ago.

Comment

I was accepting of their decision as it makes business sense to deal with 1 company as opposed to 6.

Mate, you are being too diplomatic here. It can actually be poor business practice to give one organisation a monopoly as a supplier. THey have you over a barrel if there is any dispute. Imagine getting no rent at all because one outlet has an issue with facilites or all 6 are providing substandard service to your customers.

ANyway its typical govenrment hypocrisy. They always say they want to support local business but end up just going with the highest/lowest bidder. Just a lazy approach as always.

OK, Im off my soapbox now. Hope the new venture goes much better for you.

cheers
              Chris

Comment

i would expect better from a local airport to make better decisions....

i think they have cut their noses off to spite their faces and people should vote with their feet....... dont buy coffee from the outlets would be a great way to show that local business does have a voice and does have a loyal following...... if only people did this then decisions like this would not be made.....

i compliment the manner in which Jason has been very diplomatic and truley beleive it is the loss of the airport to lose such a dedicated advocate for specialty coffee....

as they say..... SUCCESS IS THE BEST REVENGE....... so go ahead and invest further into your roastery and hopefully people will bypass the airport and get their coffee from your place either before or after their travels..........

Comment

Jason
                  I have had a run in with spotless
                  We were invited to tender for building services for a major cinema chain ( on an account we already serviced)
                  The tender process was outsourced and some faceless person made a decision from Melbourne    
                  We lost the contract to spotless
                  However the service was so poor because they subcontracted out the work that management and staff kicked them out 6 months later
                  And got us back in on a short 24 hour notice
                  And I subsequently found out that my return was to be for the same price that spotless tendered
                  I said OK as there price (spotless) was $5,000 per year more than my submission with less tasks

And we still have that account 10 years later

1 win for KK 0 for spotless (insert expletive here)

KK

Comment

Diplomatic....because I have to, lets not be disillusioned, this deal was secured on a golf course with an unmarked brown paper bag.

The real losers are our customers, however we are starting to see some of the Airport regulars at the roastery and its a good 30 min drive away.
                    The Airport is council owned and the local council is in the papers everyday with a new scandal. This is a blow for us, but onwards and upwards. We have already found homes for all the gear from the airport shop and it has opened up new avenues for us.

spotless group, the reputation precedes the stench.

Comment

I worked for Spotless catering 20 years ago. :-X

Went from having a great workplace physically and mentally to leaving within 6 months along with chefs, and front of house people who moved on to much bigger and better pastures.

Comment

Working...
                      X