Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee experiences in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam

Hi,

In March Im holidaying in Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam for a few weeks - looking forward to it!

Are there any coffee places/regions I should look out for (cafes, plantations, etc.)?

Also, any ideas on whether I can bring green beans home in my luggage, and whether customs impose any conditions?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Coffee experiences in Cambodia and Vietnam

As Vietnam was once a French colony, the quality of coffee is better than some other Asian destinations.
    I visited VN in 1993 and myself, a Turkish-Cypriot and a Belgian visited a coffee shop in Dalat in the highlands to the north of HCM City (Saigon). The coffee was quite nice to my palate (used to instant coffee back then). The cafe was quite dark and after our eyes adjusted, we discovered why. Most of the seats were occupied by couples being as friendly to each other as you could get with your clothes on.
    We were all guys so we hastily retreated after finishing our coffee. But, as I said, the coffee was quite nice.

Anyway, I think that area of VN was a well established coffee growing area.

There was a well known cafe in Ha Noi (Kangaroo cafe?) that was mentioned in the Lonely Planet Guide but, 15 years later, with VN well on the backpacker trail, I would say there are a heap more.
    I had good food and drink everywhere I went in VN and I dont think you will be disappointed.

Green beans would no doubt require a permit and quarantine. Check with AQIS.

Comment

cafe sua sa is the order of the day in vietnam - drip filter coffee with condensed milk. strong and sweet, well worth giving it a shot. not one for the purists though I guess...

Comment

Forget about Cambodia. 3rd world country and no decent coffee to be had.

Head across the border to Thailand.

Where abouts are you going in Cambodia...perhaps I or my folks can point you to some places to check out that tourists rarely get to see.

Comment

David,

Were fyling into Thailand (I accidently left Thailand out of the origional message), then travelling through Cambodia and flying out of Ho Chi Minh City.  So any Thai tips would also be great!  We havent exactly planned where we are going, but probably wont make it to the far north of Cambodia.

Cheers,

Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X