Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best roasted beans for cappuccino???

hey guys

my em6910 and em0480 grinder are now on order (my first coffee machine).
    Ive been going through the beanbay selections, theres so many to choose from...I was gona get the newbie pack, but i thought id get everyones opinion first

What beans go best for cappuccinos coz thats basically all i drink.

Also do i get them whole roasted, filter ground or plunger ground???
    Im not sure what these are...from my understanding i should be getting them as a whole bean bcoz thats why i have the em0480 grinder for....but correct me if im wrong.

Also at what speed and duraction should they be grinded for to match with my em6910??

Excuse the list of questions...any advise would be great.
    Cheers

Re: best roasted beans for cappuccino???

The Yemen is fantastic but a little exepensive (still worth it). Andys WOW is a great all rounder with or withour milk and a personal favourite is the Wahgi for its chocolatey flavours.

No right or wrong answers as your taste will vary to everyone elses

Comment

Do what I do,try as many beans from as many plantations from any country that grows them,roast them and start your own list of favourites! Ive been woking on mine for 30 odd years,aahhhh coffee

Comment

baz,

Everyone has a different preference and opinion. Ultimately you need to try as many as you want and pick your fave.

What I would recommend to start out is choose a good all rounder such as the WOW and stick with it until you become comfortable with the machine and get in to a routine. Then you can begin experimenting with other beans. Trying too many different blends or single origins when starting out will make your learning curve much steeper as youre always changing a variable that doesnt need changing.

Order whole bean as you have a grinder coming. And remember, always use fresh beans, preferably less than 3 weeks since roasting and grind right before making your coffee. Anything older than 3 weeks will be stale and behave differently to a fresh batch. What I mean by behave is it will have less crema, pour faster (requiring a much finer grind) and will taste ordinary at best.

Best of luck.

-ACog

oh, and get yourself along to Sunbeams free coffee course. http://www.sunbeamcoffeeschool.com.au

Comment

Hi Baz,
          I really like the roasted sample pack from Beanbay, you get 4 different beans that have been roasted the same week.  Its a great way of trying a range of different beans.  Ive even had a couple of varieties that I havent seen offered on Beanbay  8-)
          Then I write my own little reviews and so, am gradually learning more about what I like, and how I prefer different beans prepared.
          Its good fun!!  
          Cheers - Carrie

Comment

Baz

I vote for get on the Sunbeam course ASAP. There is nothing like someone showing you how. Even before you open the box. The combination you have works well but you wont believe the noises and if you havent used an espresso machine before getting all the variables lined up is a bit interesting.

As for the grind just remember you are only making an espresso. Whether it is a cappucino, latte or anthing else happens after the you pull the espresso.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F4C57151915182D0 link=1237712042/0#0 date=1237712042
              Theres no answer to that question because a cappuccino is a style of coffee.
              I suggest you find one that tastes best to you; thats half the fun.

Also do i get them whole roasted, filter ground or plunger ground???
              Im not sure what these are...from my understanding i should be getting them as a whole bean bcoz thats why i have the em0480 grinder for....but correct me if im wrong.
              Whole beans.

Also at what speed and duraction should they be grinded for to match with my em6910??
              Your grinder doesnt have variable speed or a timer to set.
              You grind a volume of beans as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by 6F534E555F5E495C545F3B0 link=1237712042/6#6 date=1237776326
                Theres no answer to that question because a cappuccino is a style of coffee.
                I suggest you find one that tastes best to you; thats half the fun.
                Well...perhaps a partial answer is available.  Milk based drinks generally benefit from a darker roast and a bit more acidity to cut through the milk.

Given the high prevalence of milk based espresso drinks in Australia, your roaster will certainly have numerous beans & blends to recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by 67524B411514220 link=1237712042/7#7 date=1237780498
                  Milk based drinks generally benefit from a darker roast and a bit more acidity to cut through the milk.
                  so would you say that the expresso espresso wow would be on top of the list in terms of its darkness in roast and acidity? or is there not one type but a group. if the latter, which would you list in that catagory?

Comment

Found the WOW to be very quiet in milk based drinks, but stand your tastebuds on end as straight espresso.
                    Just my opinion though.
                    Dont disregard all lighter roasts as some will cut through milk quite well.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by 415657495C5D56020102330 link=1237712042/9#9 date=1237782921
                      Found the WOW to be very quiet in milk based
                      Should have mentioned I drink my Lattes as doubles

Currently enjoying a Rwandan MIG double So many choices and none of them perfect got to love coffee confusion

Comment

Originally posted by 392E2F3124252E7A797A4B0 link=1237712042/9#9 date=1237782921
                        Dont disregard all lighter roasts as some will cut through milk quite well.
                        Thanks for that redzone.

I was going to say that I get a lot of praise for my flat whites and caps based on a PNG Kimel taken to just before SC.

Comment

png, sulawesi, peru, all really nice with milk in my opinion.  It will be more about if you can make a good coffee, than how good the coffee beans are (given you are buying them off beanbay!).  

Comment

Originally posted by 6D514C575D5C4B5E565D390 link=1237712042/11#11 date=1237795395

I was going to say that I get a lot of praise for my flat whites and caps based on a PNG Kimel taken to just before.

Certainly - have just toned down some Kimel with some Brazilian Daterra - and still good in a latte.

Chris

Comment

thanx guys....ill try the espresso wow for now and see how i go with...im definately considering the png and others too...still plenty of time till i pull a decent shot.

just with the grinding (got the em0480), ive noticed that its got something like 20 different grinding settings. does anyone know what i should have that setting on to match with the em6910 machine???

Comment

Working...
                              X