Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death of a favorite cup

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Death of a favorite cup

    Im bummed. Moments ago I had my favorite coffee mug shatter in my hand.

    This has been my favorite mug now for years and has seen much use with a dozen or so cuppas a day being made in it.

    I was doing my usual routine of rinsing it out from the last cuppa and warming it up for the next one with the hot water dispenser on the Cimbali the same as Ive been doing for years when all of a sudden *POP* and I was left holding only half a cup!

    I found this mug at a 2nd hand store years ago for 50 cents and have spent the intervening years looking for its mates with no luck.

    The mug was perfect for pulling shots directly into for my Javacinnos, eliminating the need to extract into shot glasses and hence loosing a lot of the creama when they were then poured into the drinking cup. The cup was great as it would fit (Barely with a bit of tilting!) under the portafilter, it was made of extremely thick glass so it was great for heat retention, and because it was clear glass. so I could easily watch the extraction for color, texture, and (measured against the bottom of the handle where it met the cup where I had markings for 2 and 3 ozs) volume. It will be sorely missed.


    Java "All bummed out" phile

    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

  • #2
    Re: Death of a favorite cup

    Originally posted by 2B0017001109080D04610 link=1238287829/0#0 date=1238287829
    Im bummed. Moments ago I had my favorite coffee mug shatter in my hand.

    This has been my favorite mug now for years and has seen much use with a dozen or so cuppas a day being made in it.

    I was doing my usual routine of rinsing it out from the last cuppa and warming it up for the next one with the hot water dispenser on the Cimbali the same as Ive been doing for years when all of a sudden *POP* and I was left holding only half a cup!

    I found this mug at a 2nd hand store years ago for 50 cents and have spent the intervening years looking for its mates with no luck.

    The mug was perfect for pulling shots directly into for my Javacinnos, eliminating the need to extract into shot glasses and hence loosing a lot of the creama when they were then poured into the drinking cup. The cup was great as it would fit (Barely with a bit of tilting!) under the portafilter, it was made of extremely thick glass so it was great for heat retention, and because it was clear glass. so I could easily watch the extraction for color, texture, and (measured against the bottom of the handle where it met the cup where I had markings for 2 and 3 ozs) volume. It will be sorely missed.


    Java "All bummed out" phile
    Dont be a cheep sate... Go and get a small / Minni Pyrex jug

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Death of a favorite cup

      Originally posted by 0D263126372F2E2B22470 link=1238287829/0#0 date=1238287829
      I was left holding only half a cup!
      My uncle always asks for half a cup when hes offered coffee.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Death of a favorite cup

        Thats a clean break, and a tough break all in one

        Have a look at evilbay US Item number: 110295684373

        They are Disney ones but your size and make me thinks

        KK

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Death of a favorite cup

          To give you an idea of how thick the glass on the mug is the strips of wood in the cutting board are 18mm wide.

          Originally posted by 052128282B2B1105213D23214E0 link=1238287829/3#3 date=1238300230
          Have a look at evilbay US Item number: 110295684373

          They are Disney ones but your size and make me thinks
          Definitely in the ballpark there kk.


          Java "Still bummed" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Death of a favorite cup

            Tragic Java! :-[

            Nice bench top though...what is the timber?

            Scoota "Loves Timber Benchtops" Gal...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Death of a favorite cup

              Originally posted by 584844445F4A744C4A472B0 link=1238287829/5#5 date=1238324880
              Nice bench top though...what is the timber?
              Im not 100% sure Scoota Gal. It was originally the top of a dish washer my parents bought back in 1972 or so. When the dish washer died I pulled the top off and removed the mounting hardware from it and have been happily using it as a large semi-portable cutting board/chopping block for the last 20 years. It measure 616mm x 684mm x 32mm and if I had to guess I would say its made from Maple.

              Whatever it is Id love to have all my bench tops made of it!


              Java "Loves his wood!" phile


















              Get your minds out of the gutter! ;D
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Death of a favorite cup

                I feel your pain.

                Not long ago, my youngest broke my fav beer glass (was from the 10th anniversary of the Mexican Cafe in Auckland, that goes back 16 years now ).

                Looking at it, its the sort of thing that puts me off a Bodum Pavina and the like

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Death of a favorite cup

                  yeah, i just broke one of my bodums yesterday. washing it out and knocked it on the sink and heard the terrible sound At least theyre easy to find, would be a bit more annoyed if it was a hard-to-find one...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Death of a favorite cup

                    Congratulations Java for making the 5000 post club.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Death of a favorite cup

                      Originally posted by 261304065550610 link=1238287829/9#9 date=1238408259
                      Congratulations Java for making the 5000 post club.
                      Its getting crowded.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Death of a favorite cup

                        Originally posted by 4A766B707A7B6C79717A1E0 link=1238287829/10#10 date=1238408936
                        Originally posted by 261304065550610 link=1238287829/9#9 date=1238408259
                        Congratulations Java for making the 5000 post club.
                        Its getting crowded.
                        Careful you dont bump into anyone or you may find yourself a member of the Half Cup Club! :


                        Java "Darn, there goes that perfect number!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Death of a favorite cup

                          I know its not the same nostalgia pain as you Java, but on Sunday I also lost a great friend. My wife bought me a couple of Bodum duel wall jobbies and silly me when warming the cup by putting some water into it through the PF didnt lock it in tight enough so about 5mls into the hot water process the PF uncoupled itself from the group head and landed right in the middle of the Bodum.
                          Suprisingly little glass exploding considering the wieght of the PF, but as the saying goes - and then there was one.....
                          Might need to look into some ACFs as a replacement, they are tougher arent they

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Death of a favorite cup

                            PF uncoupled itself from the group head and landed right in the middle of the Bodum.
                            I have managed to do this with two of my Bodums also

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Death of a favorite cup

                              Everybody hates to break a favourite cup or glass. The only good thing about it is that it FORCES you to get a new one - which CAN be enjoyable as there is an incredible range of stuff out there, and lets remember, variety is the spice of life.
                              In my 20s I bought a set of expensive Orrefors glassware, red wine, white wine, port, Champagne etc. Because of the fineness of the glassware we rarely used the set and now the red & white wine glasses are very dated in terms of the style - I much prefer the Riedel glassware that has become popular these days. If we had used - and broken - the Orrefors I wouldnt have to find an excuse to buy new ones!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X