Plunger Effervescence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plunger Effervescence?

Just received a new batch of beans from a supplier Ive been using for a number of years, grinding on demand for plunger, but this lot churns/almost overflows in a quite soft-drink kind of way when the water is added - Ive never had this strength of reaction before. Is this something to do with CO2 release from the fresh grind? Any ideas?

Re: Plunger Effervescence?

if youre grinding as fresh as ever and with the same level of coarseness then id guess its about the bean/blend. possibly more robusta in this latest blend? i dont know if more robusta will give off a bigger bloom in french press. often robustas tend to yield more crema in espresso

Comment

Sounds like it is the CO2, and you got some nice, fresh coffee and/or the supplier has altered their blend.

Comment

I had the same effect when pouring water onto the grinds in the aeropress 2 days after the roast. Doesnt happen 7+ days after the roast. If it doesnt change by Thursday then it may be the beans, but id be guessing the freshness factor.

Comment

Cheers all
          It is nice to know that Im getting REALLY fresh product from these suppliers - worth the extra hassle! (We really couldnt go back to the supermarket now, could we!)

Comment

Yep my guess would be freshness, day 1-3 pretty lively !

Comment

Dont you love it when size of the bloom (the "fizz") is more than the beverage itself :P Just had it then with a one day post roast. It also depends on the bean variety, but freshness is the main factor.

Comment

Working...
              X