Bean Age v Grind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean Age v Grind

What is the general consensus [possibly an impossible outcome] of the direction of grind as the [roasted] beans age over a few weeks - finer or coarser?

Yes I know that after a few weeks most beans would be considered stale and probably unusable by most of you experts, but I am just trying to find a starting point as it were for someone as inexperienced as I. I cant find much comment at all on this matter on this site, probably using wrong search terms, but I have heard that, as a general rule, as the beans age then you should use a finer grind. But I have also heard that as the beans age you need to grind coarser.

Any views please.

Re: Bean Age v Grind

my own experience is that as beans age (not always a bad thing, to a point) i go finer. i cant recall ever having gone coarser

Comment

I can vouch for the older beans going a bit finer, they are certainly not getting better when they are at that stage.

Comment

Finer each day in my experience. Still learning to let them age a few more days. 11 days post roast was awesome today, thats almost a record for us.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F6869776263683C3F3C0D0 link=1239167814/3#3 date=1239183739
          Still learning to let them age a few more days. 11 days post roast was awesome today, thats almost a record for us.
          Roast some extra and ask someone you trust to keep them away from you for at least 7 days.

If you dont know anyone I can ask a certain black belt I know to keep them away from you.

Comment

Generally it seems that as beans age the grind could go finer....based on reasonably consistent ambient conditions over the time of bean usage.

One exception might be where you experienced higher ambient temperatures and very low humidity during the early days of bean use and then lower ambient temperatures and relatively high humidity during the later days of bean use, in that case you might find that a courser grind may be required.

So it could be that someone has said they grind finer as beans age, and someone has said they had to grind courser, certainly I have noticed when weather conditions are volatile that the optimum grind can be difficult t maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by 6854495258594E5B53583C0 link=1239167814/4#4 date=1239191485
              Roast some extra and ask someone you trust to keep them away from you for at least 7 days.

If you dont know anyone I can ask a certain black belt I know to keep them away from you.
              mmm...that may work TG but while he sleeps.........

Comment

Thanks guys. But I will pass on the black belt bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B4C4D5346474C181B18290 link=1239167814/6#6 date=1239262008
                  but while he sleeps.........
                  "Sleep is overrated"

Comment

Working...
                  X