Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocoa powder for cappuccino

Hi all,

Being a new and proud owner of a VBM Domobar, I currently mainly do lattes (with more or less success, as far as the latte art is concerned).

However, next week my family is going to stay with us for a couple of days, and I know my mum prefers cappuccinos.

So, the question for me is: What type of cocoa powder do you use to sprinkle on your cappuccinos???

I found the pure cocoa is rather bitter, some cafes seem to use a mixture with cocoa and sugar. Or, is instant powder for cocoa drinks (like Nesquik or Milo) the way to go? As always, it probably comes down to personal likes and dislikes (some might argue, that theres no room for cocoa at all on a cappuccino), but Id be rather curious to know what others use?

Thanks for your replies and happy egg hunting!

Anaestralia

Re: Cocoa powder for cappuccino

Hi Anaestralia
    Try "Vittoria Original Chocochino"
    It seems to be quite good.

I use it at home when family and friends ask for a choc dusting and we also use it at work for those who need it.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by 727F7C72100 link=1239361138/1#1 date=1239362700

I use it at home when family and friends ask for a choc dusting and we also use it at work for those who need it.
      Same here.

Comment

We use the drinking choc that we source from our suppliers...it seems to actually be a blend of cocoa and powdered sugar.

If you want a decent drinking choc, then either source it from the Bean Bay or one of our site sponsors...because seriously, you cannot get decent drinking choc from the stoopidmarket...though maybe, just maybe the Vittoria might come close...

Comment

Actually, for when its requested, I use the Nestle "Alpen Blend" as its not quite as sweet and seems to be made from slightly darker chocolate... (Save the African Red for Hot Choccies )

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 727F7C72100 link=1239361138/1#1 date=1239362700
            Hi Anaestralia

Mal
            We use Vittoria as well it comes in a small shaker tube similar in size to pepper

When we ran out of it I mixed 50% Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa with 50% icing sugar in the Vittoria container and its very good if not better

KK

Comment

I put 1 part cocoa powder (either of the CS ones) and 2 parts pure icing sugar (not icing mix) in the food processor and mix.

This goes in an old Moconna jar and gets used for making hot chocolate and dusting cappuccino with a shaker. A little sweet on the cappuccino but beautiful hot chocloate.

Comment

I loath chocolate on my milk coffee drinks but my wife loves it, she loves the Vittoria chocochino but the dark chocolate version (all of those antioxidants!!).

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I couldnt get hold of "Vittoria Original Chocochino" yet, but definitely will give it a try. Does anyone know, how much cocoa it contains?
                  I tried the "Nestle Alpen Blend" that Mel suggested. It contains 27% cocoa solids and is less sweet than the stuff my kids like to drink - I actually quite enjoyed it on a cappuccino :

Anaestralia

Comment

Originally posted by 77585753454244575A5F57360 link=1239361138/8#8 date=1239451686
                    "Vittoria Original Chocochino"
                    I am reading the ingredients from the pack
                    Sugar cocoa powder 18%
                    Milk solids non fat, flavour

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 002F2024323533202D2820410 link=1239361138/8#8 date=1239451686
                      I tried the "Nestle Alpen Blend" that Mel suggested. It contains 27% cocoa solids and is less sweet than the stuff my kids like to drink - I actually quite enjoyed it on a cappuccinoRoll Eyes
                      I have been using Vittorias Chocochino for quite a while now, but it has disappeared off the local Coles shelves like a lot of other things since they are so hell bent in marketing their own home brand crap, I think they have lost the right to be called supermarkets

annnyway I tried at officedorks since they were supposed to have the 2kg packs of Chocochino, no luck.

so I had I look at the labels of the chocolate powder I have in the cupboard, chocochino has 18% cocoa powder and is quite sweet .

a pack of Belaroma drinking chocolate has 17% cocoa and tastes a little bit salty

and the Nestle Alpen Blend is as mentioned is 27% cocoa and is not as sweet, a taste I prefer since I do like a dark chocolate.

I used to use the Nestle blend before switching to the Vittoria one, no idea why, but since it is getting too hard to buy it I will be going back to the Alpen blend

dAz

Comment

Originally posted by 7F5A612E291B0 link=1239361138/10#10 date=1255147180
                        I used to use the Nestle blend before switching to the Vittoria one, no idea why, but since it is getting too hard to buy it I will be going back to the Alpen blend

dAz
                        Why dAz? :-?

<<<<< The best drinking chocolate lives over there :

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/243-double-dutch-pure-cocoa
                        http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/217-cote-d

Buy some good stuff instead!

Comment

Originally posted by 712E36202B202C252526262E222D430 link=1239361138/11#11 date=1255147420
                          Why dAz?Huh

<<<<< The best drinking chocolate lives over there Roll Eyes

http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/243-double-dutch-pure-cocoa
                          http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx/217-cote-d

Buy some good stuff instead! Wink
                          ummm because I am lazy ;D

but I will give it a go, just had a cap with the Alpen blend sprinkled on top, it tends to dissolve into the milk foam, whereas the chocochino stays sort of crusty on top so I can lick it off the glass later.

dAz

Comment

My capp chocolate blend is 60% Cote dIvoire Red from Bean Bay + 40% castor sugar (it may be a lower proportion of sugar) .
                            I find the supermarket choc too sweet for my tastes. Bean Bay choc is much cheaper too.

Comment

I was in the same situation a short while ago and opted for(please dont hang me) Grinders Taboo premium drinking chocolate.

One of the only "off the shelf" chocs that i have used that sits well on espresso allowing for a great marbling effect on cap art. But to be honest ..i havnt tried too many.

We use Chiao(?) choc at work and it clumps and coagulates on top of the espresso making it a not so desirable latte art chocolate.

Comment

Working...
                              X