Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to refrigerate shots then add milk later ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to refrigerate shots then add milk later ????

Query: I have a small pizzeria - been trying to convince customers that good plunger coffee is an acceptable alternative to espresso...often people just laugh...customers ( especially the over 50s) love their cappucino after a meal  ...and as we run small staff that all do many tasks and already very busy ( answering phones / making pizzas/waiting tables) we feel like no one can spare the 15 minutes for example it may take if a table of 10 all want cappucino   ..and Im the one who can make good coffee ( barista experience) - and as Im the pizza maker on busy nights Im often the busiest   ...... a colleague told me the other day that a busy coffee cart in the cbd expresses the shots earlier and just squirts them into cup and only has to do the milk " live"  ...Im trying to work out if this is viable and if not why not..had a few failed experiments. obviously cups would have to be heated. To be honest It doesnt have to be superb coffee just good coffee . I only have a small cheap breville machine but i can make a good coffee in it using fresh beans

...what do you guys think...uphill battle...possible? ..pitfalls ?  any advice appreciated

Re: Is it possible to refrigerate shots then add milk later ????

Given that it takes about as long to pour the shot as it does to texturise the milk, I dont understand how refrigerating the espresso beforehand would be of benefit.

Regarding the busy coffee cart guy, I really think thats just a sloppy, unprofessional way of conducting business. You either serve espresso or you dont.

From my perspective, plunger takes longer to prepare than an espresso. Though if youre intent on the idea, perhaps you could convince your customers by offering this to them freely as a limited time promotion?

Comment

Hi,

I use refrigerated double shots in my Iced Coffees at home and while the rate of Crema disapation seems to slow in the fridge it is all but gone after an hour. Taste quality is a bit hard to determine as the icecream and milk masks any sublteties. If I saw this being done I to make hot drinks wouldnt ever ask for another

A few other options you could consider maybe is a Bunn or similar style drip brewer, these take less coffee/cup so production costs are way down and the brewing is automatic and it can be kept hot for a while without much loss in quality. Generally these will give a better result than plunger. Other options include stove top syphons which range from 9-12 cups and only need 3-4 minutes for the entire brew process, but there is a little art in the production so these may not suit.

Comment

Sounds dodgy. If I ordered coffee and saw the guy get the shot out of the fridge, theres no way I would be parting with my money.

Comment

Hi grapsta, Im squirming at the thought of espresso coming from the frig. I think most of your clients go for the pizza, if you havent got the capacity to serve good espresso why bother.
          I think you either dont serve coffee or get a decent machine and staff it with someone capable, if the coffee is good turnover should increase and cover the extra running costs. Just my two cents worth.
          cheers gm

Comment

You could solve all your problems and just tell your customers that you only do instant coffee...then they wont bother you with this at all.

I say this because youre only using a cheap domestic machine in a commercial venue??

Seriously, if you had a proper commercial machine in your shop, then I have no doubt at all that making coffees would take no time whatsoever for 10 people, if this is the case. However, using a small domestic appliance which can only do one thing at a time is of no use to you, in that environment.

Along with our two group Brasilia, we have a good Iberital LAnna and of late, we have been using it to do our coffees whilst our big machine is away getting serviced. It is a one group machine that can steam and pour coffee at the same time. Only just yesterday, I did 65 coffees on it. It cost us around 3 grand but is a worthwhile investment that has just about paid for itself. (we also use it for functions.)

Seriously, if you have proper equipment in your place, then it is easy enough to train your staff to make coffees on. And believe me, even they will do better than pre making shots and steaming milk.

Keep your customers and spend the money by getting proper equipment. Using domestic appliances in a commercial situation just doesnt cut it if youre truly passionate about providing the best for your clients...or are you more concerned with the money?

IMPO, if customers want something, generally they are prepared to wait. And if your shop has the whole package, then I am sure that theyre not about to race out the door to go home. Customers come because they like what you have. They leave because they dont like it. Do yourself a favour and keep your customers by serving up what they like...

Im with the other blokes too. If I saw someone making coffee that way, Id not be having it either.

Comment

Somebody please out this place so I can be sure I never go there....

Honestly grapsta, would you apply similar logic to the pizza process?

You could bake them all during the day and then just reheat them for a couple of minutes in the oven prior to serving..

Please just dont serve coffee if this is the best you guys can do....

2mcm

PS- Coffee rule #1. If you cant spell it, you shouldnt sell it....

Comment

Yeah i think that you either get serious with the coffee or dont do it at all. If you have good quality pizza and quality coffee it will increase your business anyway. Good profit in both. Or you could put a big urn on a bench with a sachets of instant and just let them help themselves.

Comment

is it really that bad? Not that I have ever done it, but I would have thought it would come out average but acceptable? I cant imagine it much worse than the usual coffee I am served at most cafes (even though they have thousands of dollars of wquipment!). But how could you steam 10 caps quickly on a breville?

Comment

The steamed milk is just as important - if youve got people trained to do that well and fast, they should be able to handle doing a shot of coffee fresh too. If you cant invest the time in a decent machine and training the staff, refrigerating the shots isnt going to save you much time, and its certainly not going to give you decent results!
                    The sort of customers who really like a pizza followed by a coffee will be unhappy with the coffees you serve and wont worry about coming back! If its coffee they want after pizza, give them the real stuff, or they will just go somewhere else next time.

Comment

Mate if it was anything like the Breville i used to have you would have made and eaten ten pizzas in the time it would to steam ten caps

Comment

Scoota gal is right on the money.
                        Correct and appropriate equipment will go along way to quality output.
                        Using a domestic machine in your scenario is like me trying to run the IT server infrastructure for a $60M company on a home PC.

Just wont work, no win situation for company and clients.

Perhaps start out with a 2nd hand unit and/or a demo unit of an acceptable machine from one of the site sponsors.

Mal

Comment

ok I didnt quite explain myself well.... I only sell plunger coffee in my restaurant. I have a breville that I make coffee with upstairs in my house but downstairs in restaurant only plunger !. People ask all the time if we do coffee...when we say yes we do plunger they dont want to know about it ( someone told me their friend wouldnt come bakc becuase we didnt do coffee ???!!!)...those who do try the plunger usually like it as we buy good fresh coffee and know how to make a decent plunger coffee I think ....but most people want capucino. I can make really good coffee on my breville ( well FW / latte/ caps anyway) but no way do I have the time or staff time to bang out 8-10 cups in heat of the night rush. If there was a way to heat up 4 cups of coffee for example with the steam wand and then do milk and add it would save heaps of time....but if their is no way of making good coffee this way I wouldnt think of selling crap coffee...no ones actually told me the science of why this wont work. Ive actually been offered a free commercial machine..but if i dont have time to make coffee i dont want a machine sitting there for customers to see...would rather keep pushing the plunger - much as Id love to have a commercial machine in my shop ( and house ! )

Comment

..some more points :

we are a small and new restaurant - 30 seats max...just starting to break even when the crash happened..now were struggling but crawling back slowly..thi means staff is minimal. some days we do $300 ! some days $1500 ...so we have to keep staff at bare minimum...my girlfriend/partner should just be waiting tables and doing phones...but now she has to help make pizza as we cut back to survive - so when a table of 8 or 10 on a busy night order a coffee - especially on a unexpectedly busy night when understaffed ( happens on the odd very welcome weeknight) it can throw a spanner in the works ( and plunger is way faster than espresso when your making for that many - boil one lot of water etc etc ) so to be honest theres no way at the moment we could do espresso unless there was a way of doing it quicker.

.......and scoota girl - 2 points : " if people really want something they are prepared to wait" .. you gotta be kidding - have you ever worked hospitality - Im guessing not. people are impatient. very. especially in Sydney. and the funny thing about coffee in restaurants is people will wait 20 mins or whatever for entrees and again for mains but for some reason they expect their coffee straight away. not sure why....although to be honest the sort of people who mostly ask for coffee are 55 yr plus couples -especially when in groups - and theyre the demanding ones. ( ps - we also sell veal parma /schnitz and the like which is what these customers eat)
                            ..and second point - " more concerned with the money?" ..nope. if i was id can coffee altogether ...coffee in cafe is a big earner - not in most restaurants....if I made great espresso coffee here I reckon Id sell about 5 -25 cups a week ( with plunger its 2 - 10) ..thats not an earner ! ..and Id sure many good restaurants dont do coffee because theyd rather turn the tables over...coffee makes people hang around for an extra 30 mins on their $3.50 cup . ....but. I love coffee - and can make it pretty good..so I would like to give my customers a good coffee to finish a great meal of nicely

Comment

Originally posted by 1F40584E454E424B4B4848404C432D0 link=1240105425/6#6 date=1240121269
                              Somebody please out this place so I can be sure I never go there....

Honestly grapsta, would you apply similar logic to the pizza process?

You could bake them all during the day and then just reheat them for a couple of minutes in the oven prior to serving..

Please just dont serve coffee if this is the best you guys can do....

2mcm

PS- Coffee rule #1. If you cant spell it, you shouldnt sell it....
                              Are you serious ? I havent sold coffee like this - instead Ive come on a coffee website to get feedback about the process and see if its viable or not...how does that make me worthy of your boycott ?

..and anyways - do you never frequent restaurants that do good food but not as good coffee...Im not a cafe ! I am trying to make the best Pizza in Sydney....where as my coffee targets as not so lofty - I just need to make it good. and my definition of good is pretty high..not by coffeesnobs standards perhaps but certainly of a standard that my customers will be satisfied .  

Comment

Working...
                              X