Describing what Im tasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describing what Im tasting

2 weeks ago I bought 1kg Yirgacheffe from a local roaster after I had previously sampled 3 of his roasts..... This time round the espresso tastes terrible , and I rang him up to tell him I thought it was crook but he disagreed.

Im a novice here but I do know what I like. The beans second time round are dark and oily, first time they were dark but not oily..... And this time with lot 2, Ill swear the espresso tastes like charcoal on my tongue, with an after taste of charcoal that fills the back of your mouth and your tongue and lasts for hours .

From my description here , can you draw any indication that this bean has been over roasted or not ....

cheers

Re: Describing what Im tasting

Originally posted by 46415A5D46414A2E0 link=1240466096/0#0 date=1240466096
    Ill swear the espresso tastes like charcoal on my tongue, with an after taste of charcoal that fills the back of your mouth and your tongue and lasts for hours .

From my description here , can you draw any indication that this bean has been over roasted or not ....
    Charcoal taste with an aftertaste of charcoal....

Hmmm.

Its possible they are over roasted, but its also possible that theyre stale.

Perhaps the ones you bought 2 weeks ago are from the same roast as the current ones. More oils appear the longer they rest.

If he maintains they were roasted recently, then very oily indicates a roast a fair way beyond rolling 2nd.

Anyhow. Youve tried it, you didint like it, youve talked to the roaster and got no joy. Vote with your feet (or your tounge).

Comment

Sounds like you need a new bean source!
      Charcoal is bad..................... >

Comment

If hes not too far away I suggest you get them back to him asap.

Comment

Originally posted by 536F7269636275606863070 link=1240466096/3#3 date=1240482970
          If hes not too far away I suggest you get them back to him asap.
          I agree,

Challenge him to make a drinkable espresso from them while you observe,

Mal.

Comment

Yep, great idea. I agree with Mal and TG.

If he/she wants to keep your business and continue to improve (via your feedback and others) as a roaster, then he/she will be open to this.

Cheers
            Chris

Comment

Thats a coincidence... maybe theres a bean scorcher on the loose. :

I went to the cafe at Brasserie Bread on Botany Rd yesterday, the coffee I bought there didnt taste stale and didnt taste burnt (or as I imagine burnt would taste) but it did have a smokey-charcoally taste (not unlike good Babaganosh) that dominated every other flavour in the cup.  :-?

It wasnt to my taste, but was weird enough that if theyd said they were experimenting with "woodfired-coffee" I would have had to believe them.  

It was a takeaway so I didnt ask them about it but will next time Im in there.  

Comment

Originally posted by 143625253E321C570 link=1240466096/6#6 date=1240492087
                but it did have a smokey-charcoally taste (not unlike good Babaganosh) that dominated every other flavour in the cup.

It wasnt to my taste, but was weird enough that if theyd said they were experimenting with "woodfired-coffee" I would have had to believe them.
                CarieK

You have been able to describe better than me , but that is what my taste buds were telling me ..... smokey-charred flavour.
                I did phone another roaster to see what he had available , and he told me that the Yirgacheffe can take on those strong flavours and blending with another bean might help ...... ( tried that,still had a dominate char flavour )

greg

Comment

defintely over roasted, stale, not stored correctly or there is a problem with the burners in his roaster..... either one of these, or a combination of these will give your the flavours you are experiencing.....

although i am a fan of single origins.... and have been playing with them and tasting them for over 15 years... way before it has now become cool to experiment with......

the problem lies within...... most roasters (not All) do not sell enough sos to make it viable.... therefore often times you will be purchasing coffee from the same batch two weeks later what you have bought two weeks earlier....... again not all..... therefore once you find a roaster that has the equipment... often small enought that is..... to fresh roast sos then stick with them.....

hope this helps a little.....

Comment

Working...
                  X