Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution and tamping

Read this interesting article, thought it might be of interest to CSers:--

http://www.fivesensescoffee.com.au/news/2009/04/22/perfecting-your-distribution

Re: Distribution and tamping

Nice pictorial article
    However I dont use any of those methods

I just tap the PF on the bench a couple of times and Tamp
    KK

Comment

All these methods seem to allow for a lot of wastage!
      Tap n tamp seems just fine to me - does the trick and you try to get the right amount to begin with. Plus no fingers all over the place. I dont think Id mind, as a consumer, seeing a finger brushing aside grinds, but some of those pics show whole hands all over the place.
      Even tho Im a clean freak and wash hands constantly, Id still not like to be showing customers a hand all over their coffee before pulling the shot.
      Looks like a badger pawing at its burrow!

Comment

Interesting, I was reading this same article the other day.

I just bought a mazzer mini to go with my EM6910, so am having to re-learn a little bit going from a doserless to doser. The biggest problem I have is that the em6910 likes to be updosed. Simply dosing to the top of the basket then tamping wont do as it leaves too much headroom.

Stockfleths has been working ok for me, but Id like to work out a simpler routine. I liked watching Gwilym in the WBC as his routine is so no fuss.

As for the cleanliness of stockfleths, just like any other food prep, the person doing it should have clean hands.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E5C50585856514C3F0 link=1241046158/3#3 date=1241049806
          As for the cleanliness of stockfleths, just like any other food prep, the person doing it should have clean hands.
          That they should, but you cant always know when you walk in the door!
          If it was just for me, Id try it, but I dont think it would look very nice for the customer.

Comment

I fill my PF to the edge then place the tamper on the coffee and press very lightly. I then dose to a small mound then scrap the coffee grounds excess off with a straight edged tool (knife/spatula) and then tamp. I have found that this gives me just the right dose for the EM6910.

Different horses different courses - do what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 0225303F510 link=1241046158/5#5 date=1241053910
              I fill my PF to the edge then place the tamper on the coffee and press very lightly.I then dose to a small mound then scrap the coffee grounds excess off with a straight edged tool (knife/spatula) and then tamp.I have found that this gives me just the right dose for the EM6910.
              I found this dosed too much for me. I need to play around a lot more before I find something that suits. For now, stockfleths move is getting me my coffee.

Im just a little precious about my hands getting covered in grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 27252921212F2835460 link=1241046158/3#3 date=1241049806
                Interesting, I was reading this same article the other day.

I just bought a mazzer mini to go with my EM6910, so am having to re-learn a little bit going from a doserless to doser. The biggest problem I have is that the em6910 likes to be updosed. Simply dosing to the top of the basket then tamping wont do as it leaves too much headroom.

Stockfleths has been working ok for me, but Id like to work out a simpler routine. I liked watching Gwilym in the WBC as his routine is so no fuss.

Ive just gone from a Rocky to MM with doser, its taken me a while to become accustomed to using the doser, Im starting to get a routine, I start grinding and flick doser continually before it fills so that I can fill the basket evenly by moving it around a little giving a tap occasionally to settle grinds and then I let it mound until measured dose is finished, I then use spatula tool in ewns action and level off, then I tamp and pull shot, good results so far. I purchased a little Breville handheld vacuum to clean up my messy dosing!!

Comment

Originally posted by 60626E6666686F72010 link=1241046158/3#3 date=1241049806
                  Well done on the upgrade!

When I moved from a Sunbeam Grinder to a MM with my Sunbeam 6910 I also struggled with the doser and dosing. Quick flicking and moving the PF around to get even distribution definitely helped.

The other option was to dose slowly so not to flick coffee to the left in a bunch at a time. I seem to switch between the two methods depending on my mood. Yes, I know, lack of consistency

In terms of dosing - found it much easier to choke the sunbeam with the MM. When I eventually figured things out, I tended to grind at a finer level, dose slightly less and not tamp as hard to make up for the adjusteability of the grinder.

I think, because of the stepless grinder, you did not have to change your tamp pressure to make up for lack of grinder adjusteability

B

Comment

The assumption here is that the basket needs to be filled to the brim (untamped ofcourse) for the right dosage.
                    With my Gaggia Classic, I find that doing that on the double basket give me quite an OD. With the single basket, it wont even go on the machine after tamping (shower screen hits the coffee bed and PF wont fit).
                    I checked (Salter digital kitchen scales), and a filled to the brim, untamped single basket ends up with 12 grams of coffee...

Are the baskets supposed to be filled to the brim?
                    If so, am I grinding wrong (Im using a Rocky, which clumps a bit)?

thx.,

RJ

Comment

Each machine is made differently and you must dose to the machine. What I believe is commonly done is to dose so that the dry puck just touches the showerscreen and so has some room to expand when the water hits it, however that is just from reading forums not from experience on lots of machines. (works on mine though)

Comment

I dose to top of basket, tap on bench a few times and fill to top of basket and level of with a finger then tamp. The top of the dry puk generally sits just below the screen.

Providing i am consistent it all works for me. The trouble is that generally i know when i am being inconsistent but keep going rather than dumping the grounds back into the doser and starting again.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F474E4B414B4D5751220 link=1241046158/4#4 date=1241051474
                          ACog wrote on Apr 30th, 2009, 10:03am:

That they should, but you cant always know when you walk in the door!
                          If it was just for me, Id try it, but I dont think it would look very nice for the customer.
                          Just a quick point - Bacteria dies at 80C, espresso is brewed at over 90C so theres no issue in terms of bacteria and cleanliness with man-handling coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 293B3C2B2B20590 link=1241046158/12#12 date=1241307890
                            Just a quick point - Bacteria dies at 80C
                            I believe with a little research youll find that to be incorrect. For example, thermophiles will thrive at a temperature of 80C and beyond. You would need a rolling boil of 5 minutes to kill most forms of bacteria.

Comment

lol, i love when you guys get so nit-picky over tiny little points (i bet i get quoted here).   :
                              Just for reference; "A thermophile is an organism — a type of extremophile — that thrives at relatively high temperatures, between 45 and 80 °C" (Madigan MT, Martino JM (2006). Brock Biology of Microorganisms (11th ed.). Pearson. pp. 136. ISBN 0-13-196893-9.)
                              It is extreme Hyperthermophiles that thrive at temperatures above 80C

Sure, some bacteria may exist beyond the normal operating temperature of an espresso machine (keeping in mind that it  is not just the temperature, but also the pressure of extraction (130+psi) that kills the bacteria).  But for the sake of basic OCH&S and sticking to the basic food and beverage operating guidelines passed by the health authority, we are not required to eliminate ALL bacteria. Rather, to get it to a reasonable quantity.  

Most bacteria does die at or around 80C.  Commercial dishwashers have a rated operating rinse temperature of between 80 and 90c (most set to 85C) because of this.  Espresso machines also maintain a normal operating temperature of  above this.  Ergo, the coffee is safe to consume, even if stockfleths (etc etc) was used.

Comment

Working...
                              X