coffee pods and capsules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee pods and capsules

will coffee pods take off in australia ?

Re: coffee pods

Hmmm... sounds like you are commercially interested.

But no I dont believe so. We already have a market saturated with espresso and cafes everywhere. Unlike the US where espresso wasnt so common too long ago so an easy DIY alternative could take off.

I may (read probably) be entirely misinformed/wrong.

Comment

Pods have a place but it is not in my cup I was thinking about

Comment

Dont think so - my mother in law bought me a machine for a pod system and I kept using it to be nice but eventually had reason to give up the façade because less and less places were stocking the pods.

Bit of a dodo.

Comment

A friend went out and purchased a Nespreso set-up after I had tried to educate them in the finer points of good espresso, it all fell on deaf ears!! : : : :

Comment

Its just like going through School... start on instant... then upgrades to pods....wow congrats, heres a candy! Then hopefully the natural conversion occurs to drip/plunger/espresso then comes universty with advanced dosing, grind, latte art and then the phds in cupping, home correto roasting and origin tasting and appreciation.

Oh and the porsche in the form of a swanky machine fits somewhere in there as well... part of the natural evolution as everything else.  

Comment

I dont think that the Aussie culture is into them.

If you have a look on Evilbay you sometimes see them. Usually very new and less than a 1/4 of the new price.

Or said else where, why do it when you have the real thing around the corner. As Marital Monkey said this market is already saturated with espresso.
              The machines themselves start at a couple of hundred dollars and then creep into the Silvia territory.
              The Pods start at 60cent and go to a dollar each, and you are stuck with them. If you are paying $30/kilo for your roasted then a 7g shot is 21cents and a 14g shot 42cents.
              So Nespresso doesnt make cents ;D

Sure, good idea if you are lazy but what happens if Pods die off? You are stuck with a useless dodo machine. Would give you a very melicious feeling. >

Comment

I forsee a future "retro collectable" like the old turntables!!! ;D ;D ;D
                Just another idea that seemed pretty good, got rolled out and failed. It will soon be all over and every dodo slowly gathering dust in the back of grannys garage and no one will ever mention them again except as novelties and trivia questions.

Btw, having a garage or three full of useless old bits and bobs is a very melicious thing to do, but even Ive ditched mine! Some things are worth saving for spare parts and come backs.

Some things are worth setting fire to. ;D Roasted dodo anyone? Theyre very tasty!

Comment

We have the Nespresso pod machine and accompanying "cappucinator" here at work.

Its a step up from instant coffee, but not much better. If you are a home user, i would steer clear. Never tastes very fresh, poor froth, poor crema (if any), the list goes on... you cant control much of anything!

It is good at producing mass amounts of coffee throughout the day but ive never been the slightest bit impressed by the quality of coffee it produces. Its probably suited best to the corporate environment.

Comment

Saw my first pod a few years ago in a motel I was staying at.
                    Havent seen one since.
                    I dont think even George Clooney flogging them is going to have a long term effect.
                    A few people will buy them because of the current marketing and then theyll gather dust.

Conversely, Im finding with my freshly roasted coffee that more people are dropping by for a visit.

Only this weekend I ran out of clean cups and had to quickly wash some to satisfy the hordes.
                    Luckily I have about 80 more in the garage; Ill have to bring in another half dozen. :

Comment

I only have had pod-coffee once... in Italy (!) at Padova University. My host was very embarrassed (rightly so) that they did not have proper espresso at their Department.

Needless to say, I was not impressed by it. All other coffees I had on that trip were good though.

Comment

Pods have some potential - (a coffee teabag, nitrogen flushed, good ground coffee). Can be better coffee than some auto machines and far less mess in a corporate environment than a manual machine. Need some good roasters using them and they might take off.

Capsules - Nespreso style are land fill. 1/2 instant 1/2 grounds and not much of either in the tiny capsule. Sucker bet at best.

Comment

Could be better than some of the coffees Ive had at cafes tho   ;D

well couldnt be worse

Comment

I remember now another pod coffee Ive had.
                            I was didtracted by talking to a work colleague just as Id ordered a double shot flat white from the bakery downstairs from where I worked in North Sydney and looked up, too late, to see that theyd used Illy pods in their machine.
                            First and last time at that place. :

Comment

Andy, you are making a distinction between pods & Nespresso capsules. Are you just calling anything that is not a Nespresso capsule a pod - or is there a difference. I thought the term pod & capsule were interchangeable, whilst acknowledging that there are different makers.

Comment

Working...
                              X