Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamper… what are the justification for spending $$$ over a Tamper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper… what are the justification for spending $$$ over a Tamper?

Apart from the “looks good” on some of the expensive Tampers out there on the market, Pullman being one as an example, very smart looking Tamper.  Is there any other reasons I should be spending around $150 for just a tamper?

Re: Tamper… what are the justification for spending $$$ over a Tamper?

I have had "cheaper" tampers before.

Bought a Pullman. If I buy another tamper, Greg will be getting my money!

There is the joy of using an item that has the quality feel.
    The fact that the base is machined to fit a basket that you order from him, makes the tamping process easier.
    And the lines on the side to give an indication of dose and level.

Comment

The price of a tamper is relative to many factors

In the case of the Pullman it is hand made, in high quality S/steel to fit a specific basket size
      These tampers or at least 90% are made to order

Now to your question
      Build quality and production run aside  

All tampers will do the job adequately, except the plastic ones
      Things to remember are
      The better the fit the better the result

I chose the Pullman not only for the fit & great balance but for the height adjustment as I have large hands
      KK

Comment

You can buy $3 hammers at the reject shop or $100 hammers at a specialty tool shop, both hammer nails but you will still be driving nails in 40 years with one and smile when you use it while the other will have a wobbly head and be unbalanced within a few uses 8-)

Comment

Getting a good solid tamper that actually fit my basket made a huge difference to me.
          My Silvia and even the Expobar came with the cruddy, non-fitting plastic tamper that is really useless. Although, it does seem to make good dolls house furniture according to my little girl.

How much you spend and what type you end up going for, well thats personal choice, but Im sure youll find spending the money delivers more than something that just looks nice.

Comment

Many have said they had immediately better coffee after buying a Pullman tamper.

I know my first cheap one made preparation difficult.

I now own two (as Ive changed baskets) and the first one is relegated to sitting near the machine on "looking good" duties.
            Theres nothing wrong with getting a nice looking tamper that also does a better job than the cheapies.

An alternative would be to visit Coffee Parts, taking your basket with you, and checking out what tampers Pedro has.
            I was lucky enough to win a SS one in a CS competition and used it at work with the Sunbeam 6910.

Even though the fit wasnt as good as my Pullman combo, the quality of it is apparent in just the weight and feel of it.
            It seemed to make the tamping almost effortless.

Comment

LOL.... ;D

Not only do I have a (small) collection of Gregs Custom Tampers but I also have a number of beautiful Tamper Handles that I swap around as the urge grabs me. Really important, not only to have a good (or great in the case of Pullman Tampers) Tamper, but when form and function meld together so darn well, they are just a joy to own, use and admire. Pretty cheap for all of that satisfaction I reckon..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Alright, you guys got me sold on the Silvia + Rocky combo.  And now I think I need to find myself a nice Pullman Tamper to go along with it as well.

The package I ordered comes with a rosewood tamper as a gift, so I guess I have to put it up on the for sale section once I got them..
                ;D ;D ;D

Comment

SPL.G, you simply must tell me how the Pullman compares with the rosewood! I think I am getting the same tamper, and the same Silvia machine.

How is it possible that upgraditis has hit me before my package has even arrived...?

Comment

Originally posted by 6C75727B696F7D711C0 link=1241740804/8#8 date=1241775749
                    SPL.G, you simply must tell me how the Pullman compares with the rosewood! I think I am getting the same tamper, and the same Silvia machine.

How is it possible that upgraditis has hit me before my package has even arrived...?
                    Post Purchase Dissonance

Very common the night after a wedding... ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

Comment

I only have one tamper, a Pullman, do i want to go buy another??
                      Nup, cost aside, i dont see the need as it works perfectly (unlike the operator at times).
                      The pullman was thrown in with the purchase of the machine and after comparing it with what is supplied i can see why it was done.

They are worlds apart, my pullman fits like a glove, i have i guess average size hands so it fits great and i get consistent results.

When i bought my Macap grinder i didnt even bother to fit the tamp attachment to it as i thought it was just second rate in comparison.

In everything. You get what you pays for!!!

Mal

Comment

I have a small collection of tampers too...

One gifted to me by the lovely John Doyle...a very gracious present that helped me in a big way get my technique correct. Ive never had any callouses since!

My work tamper is currently a Coffeelabs tamper. I have the purple one and I love the rubber on the top of the tamper and the base. It is also adjustable to the size of my smallish hand. Im very guarded about my tamper...get quite cross when others use it. It is after all...MINE! I paid for it and its for my use. No one else...got it!? ;D

Ive "loaned" another tamper out to my friendly boss who has the Lanna machine. I think its the rosewood handle one but seeing as I cant use it at work and Ive still happily got JDs tamper at home, I dont mind them having it.

So, yes, youll find a few tampers lying around the house of Scoots...

Comment

As someone who has something like ten tampers, I can quite comfortably say that I think that the importance of the tamper is vastly overrated online.  

People wax lyrical about how their shots improved after getting an expensive tamper, but when you scratch the surface, these are often posts by people whose only frame of reference is the totally pathetic plastic thing that comes with most machines.  People often talk about fit of the tamper to the basket, as though having a 58.56mm tamper in a 58.58mm basket will self-evidently get you a better shot than having a generic 58mm tamper (yet, to my recollection, no one has ever written about selecting a filter basket with the closest possible diameter to the shower screen).  Frankly, I cant recall ever having really noticed much of a difference in the cup between cheap, but pretty much OK, tampers and expensive ones - even if the cheap, but OK, tamper is made of plastic.  

The demeral, vivace, pullman and espro tampers have various features that make things easier for beginners and people who want to maintain consistency and, if you make lots of coffee in one stint, a tamper that is comfortable to use might help to prevent RSI.  Beyond that, I dont really know that spending money on tampers gets you anything especially practical.  That said, you can see that I play devils advocate a lot - I was able to compile a pretty good list of reasons to buy a more expensive tamper[/url][/u].

If were talking about value for money, though, then we ought to acknowledge the reality of the situation: spending more money on a tamper invariably means spending less money on other coffee stuff.  All of a sudden, that changes the question that we are trying to answer to "what should I spend my money on?"  If your aim is to get a better cup, then expensive tampers would be pretty low down on my list.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Thanks Luca !!! as a newbie learning this helps stop a thinking like the bad tradesman blaming his tools... Got to practice more on technique... Plus I really could not afford an expensive one at the moment ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2C35323B292F3D315C0 link=1241740804/8#8 date=1241775749
                              I think you’ll be recieving your machine before I do, pingusam.  

Originally posted by 30293F3D5C0 link=1241740804/12#12 date=1241788866
                              If were talking about value for money, though, then we ought to acknowledge the reality of the situation: spending more money on a tamper invariably means spending less money on other coffee stuff.All of a sudden, that changes the question that we are trying to answer to "what should I spend my money on?"
                              Very sensible thinking!  I think at this point, I would really like to attend a good coffee course and then a latte art class.  After that, a nice Pullman Tamper for the looks good feel good factor.  

Comment

Working...
                              X