Coffee related injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee related injuries

Recently, at a local coffee shop, I was unaware that a trainee barista was on the machine and the coffee came out way too hot and....my fault entirely, I scalded my hard palate leaving the skin in tatters. So when I caught up with professor of surgery D.C.Charles buying beans at a busy Brisbane Torrefazione he said that this type of injury was not unusual. "We call it shredding of the hard palate" he said and most commonly occurs after a good night out at a restaurant when you MUST order an in-house coffee and you know that this restaurant type does not have a coffee culture. Furthermore, he said, if you notice that the barista and his/her machine are not as one, and the barista is not wearing black then sit back and let the others order coffee.
    "So what is my treatment for this injury?" I inquired.
    "Ring me immediately" he replied. "I can always do with a good laugh after a long day in theatre."
    Cheers, CJM.

Re: Coffee related injuries

** cack **
    ;D

On a similar line of thought, does anyone know of an official standard or maybe a local council regulation on the temperature of a coffee served?

We know that the circa 65C is the "right" temperature but I wonder if as part of any local health regulations the maximum temperature is set?

Comment

Got a very bad burn out of a Coffee vending machine once as a kid acidently tipped it over the arm of a woollen jumper I was wearing. 2nd degree scalding and blistered skin, location at the time 30m from the Casualty department of Prince Henrys Hospital in Melbourne  :

Most likely this spillage saved me from the problem above  

Comment

I doubt that councils will ever set a temp for coffee serving as they would have to do the same for tea and I dont know too many tea drinkers that would cop drinking it at 65 C.

Comment

The councils could employ temperature rangers to monitor for correct temps. It would be a sure way to boost employment and the economy  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5A7960736F160 link=1243894211/4#4 date=1243914242
            The councils could employ temperature rangers to monitor for correct temps. It would be a sure way to boost employment and the economy  ;D
            Yeah, they could bust into places serving their coffee too hot and yell

wait for it

FREEZE

Groan now.

Comment

Man, thats so bad, its good!  

The only one real time I scalded the top of my palate and took skin off was about 6 weeks ago and it was my own fault!

Made my normal take away for work and, because I work 30 minutes away and like my coffee to last at least until 9.30am (I start at 7.30am), I usually take it up to about 72 degrees and put it in a Bodum Thermal Mug.

Made it as per normal that morning, picked it up and went to sip the foam off the top that comes out of the opening, as I usually do, and managed to tip it a bit and take a big swig of coffee - ow!  Havent made that mistake since...

Silly, silly girl!  :-[

Comment

Originally posted by 70534A59453C0 link=1243894211/4#4 date=1243914242
                I still need a job.
                Sounds good to me.

Comment

Only problem with this as a Job apart from having to look at more bad coffee than good would be the obvious "Well you know where you can place your Thermometer "

Comment

If you wanna start talking about things being hot and burning your mouth, have you ever bit into a meat pie out of the warmer only for the gravy to pour down the front of your chin? Now that hurts. I would prefer to run that risk though than to constantly get warm pies!! Same would apply with everything else I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by 645B5D5A4740716C4157424B2E0 link=1243894211/9#9 date=1243923616
                      have you ever bit into a meat pie out of the warmer only for the gravy to pour down the front of your chin?
                      Not for many years, since I learned to turn bite into the pie with the crust on the bottom.

Comment

I was told by a cafe owner that it was against the law to sell take away coffee without a plastic lid on it. I have no idea if this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by 75727679717B6E7E7970170 link=1243894211/2#2 date=1243907025
                          Got a very bad burn out of a Coffee vending machine once as a kid acidently tipped it over the arm of a woollen jumper I was wearing. 2nd degree scalding and blistered skin, location at the time 30m from the Casualty department of Prince Henrys Hospital in Melbourne  :

Most likely this spillage saved me from the problem above  
                          That happened to me as a three-year-old, but it was all over my forehead. Luckily my mum is the worlds quickest thinker and had me under a tap before I even knew what had happened.

I have a friend who bought coffee at a fast food joint in Thornleigh (more fool him) and reckoned it was still too hot to drink when he got off the F3 at Gosford.

As for policing coffee temps, I cant see how you could. If a long black can be 90C, I guess you cant insist a milked one must be cooler ... unfortunately ...

Comment

i always say if you are desprite and get a Mc coffee then plan 1hr ahead it might be almost col enough to drink then

Comment

Originally posted by 7E727B7B7878426E73727F1D0 link=1243894211/13#13 date=1243943654
                              i always say if you are desprite and get a Mc coffee then plan 1hr ahead it might be almost col enough to drink then
                              hahahhahaha I was thinking that as I read through the posts. Might be testament to how good their cups are!!!

Ive always found that something heated in the microwave seems to be hotter to touch without having any real warmth in it. What I mean by that is that it burns but doesnt really warm you up going down. In comparison something heated in an oven or stove tends to have a different warmth to it and does warm you up without burning. My experience is the same with water from a thermos. Perhaps it is a similar thing to the takeaway coffee cups.

Does anyone get what I am going on about here or am I talking a pile of !@#$?

JB

Comment

Working...
                              X