Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What brand of hot chocolate do people find is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What brand of hot chocolate do people find is the best?

In my quest to satisfy all poeple in my house I was wondering what brand of hot chocolate people use. Having 2 little junior coffee snobs to be (and visitors) this is becomming a prevelant question. Dad if you are making coffee can I have a hot choc?
    I have tried a few. Gloria Jeans (White and brown) vittoria and indulge your sensors.
    Looking forward to your answers
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Re: What brand of hot chocolate do people find is the best?

Comment

Ive been using the Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa from Beanbay in a 1/3 cocoa 2/3 Caster Sugar mix and we have found it to be excellent.

It is also in my shaker for cappucinno dustings.

Comment

I use what is sold here, Crisp Image. Andy often offers it unadulterated with sugar already so you can add your own variety or amount. By variety I mean you can add either white, caster, icing sugar etc.

Comment

The Vittoria dark was pretty good, but doesnt match the home-made using the Ivory Coast Red African from the Bean Bay.

Greg

Comment

Sorry but Cadbury drinking chocolate is just rubbish! I would say go with something like KoKo Deluxe, Kali or even CS Cocoa mixed with sugar.

http://www.coffeehit.com.au/p174/Koko_Deluxe_1Kg/product_info.html
            http://beanbay.coffeesnobs.com.au/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryId=54

Comment

Originally posted by 1D3F3922252F394A0 link=1245228460/5#5 date=1245229717
              Sorry but Cadbury drinking chocolate is just rubbish! I would say go with something like KoKo Deluxe, Kali or even CS Cocoa mixed with sugar.
              Well, I think its the best you can get from super market shelf...  

I might try KoKo deluxe next time...... but I really hate paying for shipping... especially when the shipping cost is like 50% (or more) of the price..

If Beanbay can be get from local store, then Id be buying there ....

Comment

Hi CI,

the two Andy offers here are VERY different to each other. If the kids like it chocolatey then go the Dutch which is smoother not the Red which is more spicey and bitter (my preference).

Check out the cupping section on the cocoa tastings

Comment

I use Callebaut Belgian chocolate, my wife uses it to make her chocolates. I just melt it down with hot water and add the steamed milk, the darker the chocolate the better I like it.

Comment

I use the eating chocolate i like, generally dark, which I melt and blend with water and/or milk and keep it in the fridge to put into hot milk and/or water.

I also have tons of different cocoa from fancy to bog standard coles stuff (most of it is used for cooking) and they can all make nice hot chocolate too but I prefer the melted chocolate.

Comment

the earthy taste of the red african might put kids off, but its a fantastic cocoa. mix with honey/brown sugar/white sugar or any combination with hot water and store in a squeeze bottle in the fridge. excellent for mocha and hot chocolate alike. I would also consider something like Haighs drinking chocolate for a more "milk chocolate" flavour, but its not exactly cheap either. In the supermarket, theres a european hot chocolate mix that looks OK, and if it is anything like the italian hot chocolate at Cibo then it is like thick melted chocolate in a cup.

Comment

Ive got a silly question :-[

Are there any notes for the dutch chocolate from beanbay on how to prep it etc. Ive got some arriving soon...Got keep the wife happy

Comment

Since we’re on a Cocoa topic, I like to jam in a question….

Not sure if many of you have tried a Hot Chocolate or a Mocha at “Max Brenner”…  very rich in taste and thick in texture… THE BEST I’ve ever tasted so far!!…. YUMMY!! [smiley=engel017.gif]

The question is: how to make my drink like theirs?  Do they use a malted chocolate bar or something like that?  Surely they’re not using powder based cocoa.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F7A7D7B677473150 link=1245228460/11#11 date=1245316231
                            Ivegot a silly question Embarrassed

Are there any notes for the dutch chocolate from beanbay on how to prep it etc.
                            Much the same as the African EXCEPT I like it a little stonger (more cocoa) than the other. And I like Denniss method of steaming it with the milk

Comment

Originally posted by 594D4B4B515D5A4D5F5F5959380 link=1245228460/6#6 date=1245230375
                              but I really hate paying for shipping.
                              ...even when the product is half the price including shipping?

The cocoa is 100% cocoa, you are not paying for shipping the sugar (which you can still buy in a local shop).

The 500g of cocoa will make between 1 and 1.5 kilos of drinking chocolate or if you want to mix with amount of sugar that cadbury uses then it will make 5kg but you will have to add your own chemicals and fillers to make it taste the same!

:

Comment

Working...
                              X