Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any baristas prepared to comment on their dosing/distribution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any baristas prepared to comment on their dosing/distribution?

Since I now have myself a professional type grinder, I figured that I really should be able to do away with some of the voodoo I used to use in regards to dosing and distribution.

Im interested in how some of you baristas do dosing and distribution in a commercial environment. Is it thwack, thwack, knock to settle, thwap and strike off? Or.... you get my drift.

Thanks for the input.

Grant

Re: Any baristas prepared to comment on their dosing/distribution?

But voodoo is where the fun is at!!

Im no barista (but love to comment on these threads anyway) and I love my "no worries" distribution method.
    1. Thwack, thwack thwack while the grinder is grinding. It gets a little over full.
    2. Swipe the finger over the top with a few grounds going back into the doser (for the next coffee if its coming up - or for the vacuum when I clean it). Note: no tapping on the bench to settle
    3. Tamp
    4. Pull shot

Rinse and repeat

Comment

i WAS a barista working at the first pour. i always manually dosed, (ground on demand), distributed using modified stockfleths and tamped.

the routine changed, with i guess, an emphasis on pulling the sweetness from the shot. i would say that i pretty much always collapsed at least once to allow for more coffee in the basket (although keep in mind that the stock La Marzocco double basket is deeper than most traditional double baskets). often there were two collapses, usually with one in the middle and one at the end of dosing up. followed by a medium pressure tamp, a quick twist of the tamper, and a second, lighter tamp with a twist to polish the puck.

at home with my setup, i tend to use the chicago chop method as i dont always want coffee on my hands (usually before heading in to work in the am).

FD - what youll find is that most people have their own thing going on in terms of what they do and how they do it. i will go out on a short limb to say that often what people do routinely doesnt change all that often as it is seen to work. and while it probably does work in most cases, that doesnt mean that some modification wouldnt make the shot even better.

i would say from my own experince that the most important variable is distribution - and this will depend on the grinder (for example the BNZ conical that ive played with dosed such a beautiful even pile of grounds that i wonder if distribution helped all that much), but with my setup, if i dont distribute, then my shots suffer.

i can only collapse very lightly at home otherwise my puck hits the shower screen. i am going to look into a triple that might fit the spaz so i can collapse.

aaron

Comment

Thanks for the detailed answer Aaron

I guess there are a couple of things... the M4D used to throw out densely packed coffee, so collapsing at all was really a no-no. When I wasnt in a rush, I would often grind into a ramekin and fluff the grinds up so that I could distribute from above the basket (distribution without this was painful because even at 18g it was below the rim of the basket).

With the Robur, its a whole different story. The coffee comes out much "fluffier" and so the volume to weight ratio shifts a lot - I can afford to collapse, and could probably do so twice.

Was curious to see how simple I could go... though I guess theres nothing like trying it for yourself

Grant

Comment

holy mackerel batman
          you got a robur for home????
          sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet man

is it the doser or the e?

Comment

Originally posted by 322F2B2E2525400 link=1245834493/4#4 date=1245847686
            holy mackerel batman
            sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet man

Grant has a Robur-e....He uses it for cupping only :P ;D

Comment

Ive got a robur at work and the grind is pretty fluffy - so I do as Aaron does - dose and collapse, then does and collapse again before sweeping and tamping with a single firm tamp - polish optional!

Comment

Originally posted by 055A42545F5458515152525A5659370 link=1245834493/5#5 date=1245848500
                Originally posted by 322F2B2E2525400 link=1245834493/4#4 date=1245847686
                holy mackerel batman
                sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet man

Grant has a Robur-e....He uses it for cupping only :P ;D
                And I still need to send you the serial number... off in Perth this week but home this weekend. Will shoot it across then.

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by 7A6763666D6D080 link=1245834493/4#4 date=1245847686
                  holy mackerel batman
                  sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet man

The e... and its beautiful I must say. Though the wife isnt too happy about the size! Im now being pressured to build myself a coffee stand to put all the goodies on so that she can have her kitchen space back.

Grant

Comment

Originally posted by 40544F484143794251434A4A4354260 link=1245834493/8#8 date=1245889206
                    Though the wife isnt too happy about the size! Im now being pressured to build myself a coffee stand to put all the goodies on so that she can have her kitchen space back.

Grant
                    Ive done exactly that and earnt many browny points. I am also cleaner than she is so having my own space is blissful. Highly recommended. ;D ;D

Comment

Yeah thats my problem with the collapsing.

Any more coffee (than what I get with an uncollapsed mound) and I hit the shower screen.

Comment

Originally posted by 4652494E47457F4457454C4C4552200 link=1245834493/8#8 date=1245889206
                        The e... and its beautiful I must say. Though the wife isnt too happy about the size! Im now being pressured to build myself a coffee stand to put all the goodies on so that she can have her kitchen space back.
                        Ahh the agonies we share.......

Comment

Originally posted by 20342F282123192231232A2A2334460 link=1245834493/8#8 date=1245889206
                          Though the wife isnt too happy about the size!
                          Theres a response going begging.

Comment

Great control there TG and leaving the privilege for others to boot ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5864796268697E6B63680C0 link=1245834493/12#12 date=1245899912
                              Theres a response going begging.
                              Wish Id written "wife isnt too happy with how big it is"

Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X