Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing your own coffee

Hi Snobs,

I want to plant some coffee, I have lots of space (70 acres but not planting that much) and not wanting to go commercial. My place is about 90kms west of Brisbane elevation about 175M. I was thinking of planting like say 50-75 plants of 3-5 different varieties.

Any thoughts, ideas advice, experience???

Thanks

Brett

Re: Growing your own coffee

Why dont you go and have a chat with Kees at Mt Tamborine coffee? There is man with a passion and coffee trees loaded with fruit.

Comment

i am going to grow a tree for fun to see how it goes, thanks to my heaps good brother for picking one up for me at aromafest

Comment

I have two just getting through their third winter.

Where were they at Aromafest?

Comment

Thanks herbie I will follow that lead up.

Comment

Dont know Thundergod, my bro got it for me so i will ask him.

are yours in fruit yet?

Comment

Not yet.
              Just 3.5 years old now.

Comment

Daleys Nursery at Kyogle has coffee plants listed here:
                http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/coffee.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 12273436302C550 link=1248356778/7#7 date=1248758570
                  Not much good at the moment Gracey - they are all in production or seeking propogation material. Ive been waiting months for that status to change.

Comment

A tip would be well draining soil with low acid levels and low wind areas.

I have had mine in for nearly 2 years now and 2 of them have beared fruit already but im fairly sure they were a couple of years old when i put them in the ground.
                    I grow 2 types... The Catui and the K7. Catui is a smaller plant wich is mainly used by plantations that have a harvesting machine. The K7 is the original strain i think that was grown in the early days of coffee cultivation in Oz.

My only problem is my low altitude and rather sandy soil. The low altitude combined with too much shade made the fruit take a long time to ripen. Otherwise conditions are perfect. I have only had to water them a few time in the time they have been in my garden and fed them 2 times a year.

You might also want to contact Wombah coffee plantation near Iluka 0(2)6646 4380 i think the number is. They are always willing to help people out growing

Comment

Originally posted by 4A6B6060677D0E0 link=1248356778/8#8 date=1248761855
                      Not much good at the moment Gracey  
                      Still no change Dennis. Youd think that they might at least have stock of the K7 and/or the Clarence River Bourbon. They are after all local! (for me that is)

Comment

Originally posted by 5F6A797B7D61180 link=1248356778/10#10 date=1250166399
                        Clarence River Bourbon
                        I was born in Grafton.
                        Let me know if you hear theyve become available.

Comment

Originally posted by 1C293A383E225B0 link=1248356778/7#7 date=1248758570
                          http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit pages/coffee.htm
                          ...and hes a CoffeeSnob!

Comment

The coffee plants at aromafest were at a stand near the water. About halfway between the Passenger terminal (Domestic coffee machine expo) and the train station.

Cant remember the seller. I was about 5 espressos in at that point... Some coffee mob ;D

Comment

Im trying my hand at growing my own here in sunny Newcastle.
                              Cost me $20 inc freight from the Bay of Evil, some joint in QLD.

I have 11 seedlings, which I have only just removed from the newspaper wrapping they came in 2 weeks ago.
                              Only 3 years to go I am told!!!

Cant wait!

Comment

Working...
                              X