The emergency blackout kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The emergency blackout kit

Heres a thought that arose from reports of blackouts following recent wild winds in Sydney:

How would you manage if there was a blackout?

Remember - no espresso machine, no electric grinder, no electric kettle, no electric stove. If its an extensive blackout, you may have a long way to travel to the nearest available cafe if there is one within reasonable traveling distance.

I have a LaSorrentina Atomic,a Zass hand grinder and a gas cooktop. Sometimes I take the Zass to work but I have a wall hand grinder as well as a mortar and pestle. If necessary I could do a wok roast if I didnt have beans at hand.

I wonder how many others have thought of it and consider if it was a severe blackout where it might be several days before power is restored. Perish the thought of it ever happening but I wouldnt be surprised if some have been caught out before.

It took me a little while to nut it out to ensure I am covered.

Re: The emergency blackout kit

Originally posted by 3E34213636392D2B580 link=1251370256/0#0 date=1251370256
    How would youmanage if there was a blackout?
    I would just go a red or good scotch and forget the coffee until i could attempt to do it justice.

Comment

I have the Aeropress and a gas cooktop but I dont have a manual grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by 360A170C060710050D06620 link=1251370256/2#2 date=1251375701
        I have the Aeropress and a gas cooktop but I dont have a manual grinder.
        You probably have a
        Mortar and Pestle

I have a gas stove & hot plates so a Turkish coffee will be nice & ground in a Mortar & Pestle

KK

Comment

Thats where our little 2.4KW gen-set comes in handy

Mal.

Comment

ive got all bases covered except no hand grinder... wanted a zass hand grinder years and years back but could never seem to get them locally and any places that advertised them had no stock

so id have to resort to putting my beans in a bag and belting them with a rolling pin and using my trust plunger

doesnt do the CS beans any justice, but desperate times would call for desperate measures

Comment

Ohh I forgot I do have a couple of hand grinders a Turkish mill & a MG Zass style box grinder

KK

Comment

aeropress and kyocera hand grinder get used daily anyway, so not much of an issue for me (although I would miss my lovely Silvia latte)

Comment

Originally posted by 474C56441B12230 link=1251370256/7#7 date=1251386865
                  aeropress and kyocera hand grinder get used daily anyway, so not much of an issue for me (although I would miss my lovely Silvia latte)
                  How would you heat the water?

Comment

gas stove & saucepan

and if the gas went out, Id use the bbq. gotta have that coffee!!!

Comment

Havent had a long black out for years now.

When we did I used a wall mounted hand grinder and a brikka stove top (wasnt a coffee snob then!).

Our wood combustion heater has a "stove top" (the top isnt insulated). This was hot enough for the brikka to work.

Comment

Gas stove, gas bbq, wok, wooden spoon, Kyocera hand grinder, Bellman Stovetop, Bialetti Stovetop....

yeah, were covered... 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 666E767C61050 link=1251370256/11#11 date=1251419953
                          Gas stove, gas bbq, wok, wooden spoon, Kyocera hand grinder, Bellman Stovetop, Bialetti Stovetop....
                          :

Theres always one! ;D

Comment

One of the great advantages of a coffee van!!! Never without coffee. ;D

Comment

Good to see youre all coming over to the wok roasting - its about time!

Comment

Working...
                              X