Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

    Sorry to be such a noob but is there a thread on CS or an internet page that lists descriptions of all the coffee styles. Ive search both the CS and google and get lots of hits but nothing with what Im actually after. I mean, you cant make a coffee if you dont even know it exists ;D
    Until a visit to Coffeehorse place I only knew short/long black, Flat white, latte, cappacino and machiato. Now I can add ristretto to that list but Im sure there are many more and Id like to know

  • #2
    Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

    Im sure you can find lots of web sites with various definitions of different coffee styles. Some day you might even find some that agree. ;D

    A search here (remember to change the default search time from 1 week) will give you an idea of the debate on something as simple as a ristretto.

    Greg

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

      Thanks Greg,

      I can add a few more styles to the list.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

        Do you mean a "coffee menu" similar to this one:

        espresso menu

        Espresso / Short Black

        Serve in a 70-90 ml demitasse cup & saucer. Extract 25-30 ml of coffee in 25-30 seconds-traditionally served with a glass of water.

        Long black, Americano, or Caffe Lungo

        Fill a 170-220 ml cup 1/2 – 3/4 (90-150 ml) with hot water and top with a double espresso (50-60 ml) or doppio ristretto (30-40 ml) – served with a saucer, spoon and sugar.

        Flat White

        25-30 ml shot of espresso topped with freshly heated silky-smooth milk into a 170-220 ml cup leaving up to 5 mm of foam. Serve on a saucer with spoon and sugar.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

          Whats the difference between a Flat White and a Latte foam quality? From the above description it sounds the same.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

            Originally posted by 7C7F60646A0F0 link=1251777809/4#4 date=1251809805
            Whats the difference between a Flat White and a Latte foam quality?  From the above description it sounds the same.  

            The critical issue is all in the word "about". ;D

            There is a debate going on here about exactly that issue now. I expect it to be resolved in the next decade or so. :

            Greg

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

              Originally posted by 2F2A37372F26312C362D272E222D430 link=1251777809/3#3 date=1251804603
              Do you mean a "coffee menu" similar to this one:

              espresso menu

              Espresso / Short Black

              Serve in a 70-90 ml demitasse cup & saucer. Extract 25-30 ml of coffee in 25-30 seconds-traditionally served with a glass of water.

              Long black, Americano, or Caffe Lungo

              Fill a 170-220 ml cup 1/2 – 3/4 (90-150 ml) with hot water and top with a double espresso (50-60 ml) or doppio ristretto (30-40 ml) – served with a saucer, spoon and sugar.

              Flat White

              25-30 ml shot of espresso topped with freshly heated silky-smooth milk into a 170-220 ml cup leaving up to 5 mm of foam. Serve on a saucer with spoon and sugar.
              Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

                Id always pull the coffee onto the sugar to help the sugars completely dissolve.

                Places like Campos dont change the stretch of milk between a flat white & a latte, but just the coffee:milk ratio. Generally speaking, Latte = 10mm foam, Flat White = less, Capp = stiffer or more stretched milk.

                cocoa powder should be offered with a capp. in my opinion but not put on by default

                Comment


                • #9
                  Please tell me the difference between a flat white and a latte.

                  I have yet to have someone explain to me the difference between a latte and a flat white.

                  Knowing this is such a noob question, but Im even yet to do the free sunbeam course but have been asked the question myself, so wish to appear knowledgeable.

                  Thanks,
                  Peter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Please tell me the difference between a flat white and a latte.

                    Hi Peter

                    Welcome to the land of snobbery. Youll get differing understandings of each drink. However, according to the highly regarded Barista Techniques by John Doyle, both of those drinks consist of an espresso topped with silky-smooth textured milk. The difference is in the depth of foam in the resulting drink: about 5mm for a flat white; about 10mm for a latte.

                    Cheers

                    Luwaks

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Please tell me the difference between a flat white and a latte.

                      Originally posted by 42464B4B402F0 link=1255228806/0#0 date=1255228806
                      I have yet to have someone explain to me the difference between a latte and a flat white.

                      Knowing this is such a noob question, but Im even yet to do the free sunbeam course but have been asked the question myself, so wish to appear knowledgeable.

                      Thanks,
                      Peter
                      ^^^^^ Search button is your friend Peter http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1251777809

                      Hope that helps

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

                        Originally posted by 616D646467676E777176020 link=1251777809/9#9 date=1255229184
                        Hi Peter

                        Welcome to the land of snobbery.  Youll get differing understandings of each drink.  However, according to the highly regarded Barista Techniques by John Doyle, both of those drinks consist of an espresso topped with silky-smooth textured milk.  The difference is in the depth of foam in the resulting drink: about 5mm for a flat white; about 10mm for a latte.

                        Cheers

                        Luwaks
                        Correct me if i am wrong, but a flat white is usually served in a broad cup whereas a latte is in a narrow glass. So the actual VOLUME of foam on top will be roughly equal.

                        Taking this further, can we then say that the volume of espresso, milk amd foam is identical for a flat white & latte, and only the presentation differs?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Coffee Styles - definitions or resources

                          Get "them" to tell you what the difference is and then make it their way. ;D

                          Greg

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X