Eco-friendly takeaway cups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco-friendly takeaway cups

A while ago (6 months?) there was a thread on here about re-usable takeaway cups that were going to be released soon... the main plusses for this product was that it felt good (to hold), and apparently did not taint the taste.

I have spent about 10mins trying to search for it but I dont have enough keywords remembered to be able to find it. Can someone point me to it or better still tell me what happened to it (from memory there was a web-site link to it too). Are they now available? It was white/aqua in colour (if that helps), from memory.

Thanks

Re: Eco-friendly takeaway cups

I think theyre called KeepCup. Living in fear of the mods, Im not game to post a link, but google keep cup brought it up as the top result.

Comment

Originally posted by 74767A72727C7B66150 link=1253061388/1#1 date=1253066150
      I think theyre called KeepCup
      Yup thats the one I was talking about. Thanks!

Anybody have any experience in using these? Thoughts?

Comment

I have heard about them the first time!
        Can you explain what are they?
        A pic would be fine. If its allowed here.

Comment

I bought a couple of the cups referred to by Acog. They are pretty cool, but have not used them too often

Comment

Theres a nice ceramic takeaway mug from Think Geek. I get a few weird looks walking into work with a mug of coffee already in my hand.

Comment

Im interested to know what Baristas think of them. is it annoying having people hand over a cup and ask for a dbl fw? I would imagine it disrupt their system.

Comment

Nope if you are set up right it shouldnt be a problem work flow wise provided you could take the cup of the customer heat it up and then pour coffee into it. I would however be worried on hygiene side of thing. If they dont clean their cup properly (and alot wont) and they get sick from drinking one of your coffees you are legally responsible  >. Besides that:
                A) I dont think they would want to wait for their cup to be washed. B) If you had to wash each cup individually it would slow things down.

They are a nice Idea but I dont think they really solve anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D61727469616C5F4D6F6E6B6579000 link=1253061388/7#7 date=1253157892
                  They are a nice Idea but I dont think they really solve anything.
                  You really need a critical mass using them to make a difference, and just like those green bags for groceries, most people will forget to bring them.

As for the hygeine side of things, Im sure you could put a disclaimer somewhere to cover the cafe. The Barista could also of course, refuse to use it if they thought it was too dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by 2E2C20282826213C4F0 link=1253061388/8#8 date=1253158720
                    Im sure you could put a disclaimer somewhere to cover the cafe.
                    Been out of the that side of things for a while now so probably changed, but a disclaimer never had much weight in a court room.

I think its changed now, but cant say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 6F6D61696967607D0E0 link=1253061388/8#8 date=1253158720
                      As for the hygeine side of things, Im sure you could put a disclaimer somewhere to cover the cafe. The Barista could also of course, refuse to use it if they thought it was too dirty.
                      Over here unless the cup was first washed by the cafe before being used to serve in the business is not only risking loosing everything in a suit from the customer but also a huge fine from the health department. They would even be risking permanent closure for repeated offenses.

As nice a thought as these cups are unless the laws are changed/different there I dont see them catching on.

Java "You dont want to mess with the Health Department!" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

For me, the reason I want them is that I make 2 cups (one each for the Missus and I) in the mornings to take to work (dont have time to have it at home) every day - and I buy takeaway cups/caps for this purpose. I figure at a cost savings of $0.60 a day... payback will be fairly quick! ...as long as it tastes OK. I could just buy a re-usable mug from Kmart / the servo etc but for me I dont like the metallic or plastic taste that comes with these. I am hoping the keepcup is a cut above... hence the reason for the original post.

Heres a picture (for someone that requested it above) - they come in many colour combinations.
                        As you can see it looks "just like any other re-usable cup"... but meant to have eco-credentials (in the manufacture/disposal processes), standard sizing (S/M/L) for baristas and better taste (?)

Comment

Hi all

Unfortunately the ring around the middle is silicone. This may not be biodegradable. The rest of it is "recyclable polypropylene". I infer from that that is is recyclable and not that its actually using recycled polypropylene. Its very hard to decide whats best when there are now paper cups that are using 45% less paper than before versus recyclable plastics that came from oil versus plastics from oil from bio sources etc. The situation as to how to weight up and balance the resource usage from ground to cup and back to ground versus energy to produce, distribute and recycle is so complicated that the information for me to make a decision just isnt there.

(I have my coffee always seated at a cafe in a ceramic cup. If its near closing time and they only offer a takeaway cup I forgo the espresso. )

Mike

Comment

This is going to make me have a closer look at some regulars mugs, as they tend to bring them with them everyday for me to use instead of our takeaway cups.

Time to get busy with washing them haha.

Comment

Ive just ordered one tonight, based on this thread.

If you can wait a week or so, Ill give my thoughts. I figured for the price, it was worth giving it a go because I make my take-away in the morning to go to work with me.

The only issue I have a bit of a misgiving about is heat retention - the Bodum Double Walled Stainless Steel travel mug that Im currently using keeps my coffee hot from about 7.00am until about 10.30am, so that will be my main comparison point but, if worst comes to worst, it will make a reasonable cup to put in the car to take on the two hour trip up to Taree occasionally for Pete & I.

Cheers
                              Di

Comment

Working...
                              X