Wet puck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet puck...

Wanting to troubleshoot a wet puck issue, seeking your wisdom!
    I have found a grind fineness that gives me a nice caramel color and single strip flow out of the bottomless double group handle, and a 30 sec flow to fill the requisite 60ml.

Challenge is, the puck is not dry but quite wet when removing the group handle and I just cant quite figure out what Im doing wrong...
    is the grind too fine?
    am I putting too much coffee in the group handle?

I am filling with grind to the rim, and then tamping to create a seal, leaving a space between the top edge of the group handle and the surface of the coffee.

Any ideas much appreciated!

Frederick

Re: Wet puck...

Gday Frederick....

For any of us to be able to provide you with any worthwhile advice, first we need to know what type of machinery you own, i.e. Espresso Machine, Grinder....

What sort of beans you use, i.e. How fresh are they (when were they roasted), and the quality of the beans used, if known....

Hear from you soon mate

Mal.

Comment

Hi Frederick

I use a HX (Maver Marter) Machine and have a small amount of liquid on the top of my puck when I remove it from the group head, but the puck itself is not wet. Ive found that it must have something to do with the pressure build up whilst its locked in, because it usually disappears within seconds once the group handle is removed and, by the time I knock it out, it is dry on the top again. This is quite normal.

Is this what you mean, or is your puck actually sloppy wet?

Cheers
      Di

Comment

Originally posted by 464F7C4042574C230 link=1253887870/0#0 date=1253887870
        Wanting to troubleshoot a wet puck issue
        I think there are times when too much emphasis is placed on dry pucks. Underdosing and grinding fine can produce some wonderful tasting shots yet result in wet pucks. And really, who cares, unless your intention is to use them for a game of hockey later.

Comment

Originally posted by 65444F4F4852210 link=1253887870/3#3 date=1253962704
          I think there are times when too much emphasis is placed on dry pucks.
          Hear hear. You will sometimes get wet pucks depending on the bean type and freshness. You may get water sitting on top of the puck as Di (Hoyks) points out. But how does the coffee taste? Ive had wonderful tasting shots from extractions that have resulted in a wet puck.

From my experience, under-dosing rather is more likely to give you a wet puck. Try filling the basket to a small mound, tapping the group handle lightly on the bench to settle the grounds and then top up to a decent mound before leveling off and tamping.

Comment

Dry pucks are nice. You can pick them up, sniff them, break them
            open and look at the different colours, and whatever.

But I agree completely with Dennis. They are highly overrated. For
            a while now Ive been experimenting with underdosing (well
            actually better called standard-dosing because Im dosing by weight
            at around 14g). At this dosage the pucks come out very sloppy
            indeed and look like things unmentionable. However at the fine grind
            needed for such shots, tamping technique is almost irrelevant. When
            I get the technique down pat (sorry) Ill try to make some proper
            comparisons but at the moment my feeling is that for some some
            coffees (especially lighter roast levels) this gives some very
            interesting shots. An observation -- if I dose my big basket at 14g,
            then my single basket at 7g at the same grind level, I get pretty much
            the same extractoin time. Whereas before I had to go significantly
            coarser on the single basket.

Comment

Working...
            X