Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A week without my Sunbeam

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A week without my Sunbeam

    Heading down the Gold Coast on the train this sunday for a week to work Indy (sorry, SuperGP). Items to be packed include PS2 and games, Ipod and dock, clothes.....if I was driving, there would be no dramas, the whole kit and kaboodle would be going, but my greatest question is what am going to do for coffee. (does this qualify to be on topic 8-))

    Ill be staying at Cronin Ave at Main Beach just off Tedder, and I sorta recall a trendy little coffee shop on the corner that I think was selling coffee from Byron Bay or somewhere like that. As I recall, it was an average drop, but my memory is fading. Travelling isnt an option, after a long day the max ill be prepared to walk is ten minutes.

    I wil be using the next 12 months however to work out a travel kit thatll fit in a suitcase alongside the previously mentioned items. Am thinking a Kyocera (based on very limited knowledge), but have no idea on a coffee maker as yet. Not sure how it will go, but am loading up on coffee now (extra coupla cups a day, hump on back is a bit of a giveaway) to hopefully get me through the week.

  • #2
    Re: A week without my Sunbeam

    You need a bloody big thermos flask >

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A week without my Sunbeam

      Kyocera or Hario hand grinders come highly recommended! Do you need espresso coffee (baby gaggia), want something close to espresso (otto), something marketed as (es)presso but tasting like brewed coffee (presso), or something more fun (siphon, turkish)

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A week without my Sunbeam

        Along with the Kyocera grinder the Aeropress makes a great drop. Its not espresso, but it does make a coffee with strong flavours.

        Mine went to Canada with me on my last trip, and got quite a workout.

        Greg

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A week without my Sunbeam

          Originally posted by 2A07060D170A171A630 link=1255463132/2#2 date=1255474396
          Kyocera or Hario hand grinders come highly recommended! Do you need espresso coffee (baby gaggia), want something close to espresso (otto), something marketed as (es)presso but tasting like brewed coffee (presso), or something more fun (siphon, turkish)
          Weight and relative sturdiness is an issue as it is suitcase borne......as long as I can have an enjoyable coffee I will be happy. Gregs suggestion of Aeropress may be option, have just had a squizz around at them.

          Now, wheres that 18 gallon thermos???? ;D

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: A week without my Sunbeam

            MY suggestion?

            How about a Vietnamese drip? small, easy to use and clean? Combines with a small hand grinder and you should get your fix and come in well under $100? Add to the the total lack of space it would take up in the suitcase and that leaves room for a kilo or 2 of freshly roasted beans?

            P.S. I would strongly not suggest loading up on coffee prior to possibly going cold turky...ever seen trainspotting? :-?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: A week without my Sunbeam

              Originally posted by 635A444A70682F0 link=1255463132/5#5 date=1255482244
              MY suggestion?

              How about a Vietnamese drip? small, easy to use and clean? Combines with a small hand grinder and you should get your fix and come in well under $100? Add to the the total lack of space it would take up in the suitcase and that leaves room for a kilo or 2 of freshly roasted beans?

              P.S. I would strongly not suggest loading up on coffee prior to possibly going cold turky...ever seen trainspotting?  :-?
              Ummm.....no...should I have?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                Its worse when its coffee not heroin.

                Id second a vietnamese drip - I took one to africa quite happily

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                  Originally posted by 02372022122A3728242921450 link=1255463132/3#3 date=1255475429
                  Along with the Kyocera grinder the Aeropress makes a great drop. Its not espresso, but it does make a coffee with strong flavours.

                  Mine went to Canada with me on my last trip, and got quite a workout.

                  Greg
                  I agree, they make a great lightweight combo, that produce a great result! and ease of cleaning too with the Aeropress! bonus!

                  Originally posted by 09302E201A02450 link=1255463132/5#5 date=1255482244
                  ever seen trainspotting?
                  and
                  Originally posted by 282421352C203737207573450 link=1255463132/6#6 date=1255484098
                  Ummm.....no...should I have?
                  = ;D overdose closely followed by withdrawal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                    Originally posted by 3430160F0F0A15020D630 link=1255463132/8#8 date=1255485444
                    Originally posted by 02372022122A3728242921450 link=1255463132/3#3 date=1255475429
                    Along with the Kyocera grinder the Aeropress makes a great drop. Its not espresso, but it does make a coffee with strong flavours.

                    Mine went to Canada with me on my last trip, and got quite a workout.

                    Greg
                    I agree, they make a great lightweight combo, that produce a great result! and ease of cleaning too with the Aeropress! bonus!

                    Originally posted by 09302E201A02450 link=1255463132/5#5 date=1255482244
                    ever seen trainspotting?  
                    and
                    Originally posted by 282421352C203737207573450 link=1255463132/6#6 date=1255484098
                    Ummm.....no...should I have?  
                    = ;D overdose closely followed by withdrawal  
                    I get the picture...have seen it at work....but its with coffee here, so im prepared to take the chance ;D

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                      Hello Mad Pierre,

                      Im on the Gold Coast, .. I can give you a very thorough demonstration of the Kyocera and Aeropress before you decide to buy

                      Cheers
                      Mark

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                        Hey sweet Mark, thanks for that mate. Ill drop you a line when Im right to go with it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                          My wife now prefers her coffee made with the Aeropress.

                          I recently bought a Kyocera and it made a decent shot through my Expobar so paired for travelling, the Aeropress and Kyocera would be light and take up little room.

                          Now all I have to figure out is how to do the milk. :-/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                            Looks like thatll be the kit then....although I like the sound of the vietnamese drip so might as well grab one of those down the track (you can never have too many toys, right). We are going to be spending a week at Tallebudgera in the new year so Ill have a chance to buy and truy for then. Ill drop you a line Mark when I can drop down and check it out.

                            Thanks very muchly for the feedback and suggestions.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: A week without my Sunbeam

                              A presso would seem to be a good solution for you. Give one a try and if you dont think it beats all the other portable brewers I will drink instant coffee for a week.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X