Kids Drinking coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids Drinking coffee

I started drinking coffee at age 18...only because I had a job which required me to wake up at 4am! Prior to that my parents didnt alow me to drink coffee and I didnt really have any desire to anyway.

I would be interested to know what people think is a reasonable age for kids to drink coffee...I guess there are medical considerations which I am not aware of. Do the children CS of members nag them to have a cup of the good stuff?

Re: Kids Drinking coffee

I have a 9 month old who is fascinated by the coffee machine and laughs when I grind, tamp, pull shot and steam. She has yet to sample the brew! Im thinking 15 (years not months) so thankfully there is a lot of bling to keep her occupied. I started with 43beans at 13. Not a great start but the journey quickly improved and took in far more pleasant scenery.

Comment

My much better half is a high school teacher, and a few of her year 8s turn up to first class with a takeaway latte to start the new day, others have energy drinks, power bars etc, a lot of these kids live on the stuff!, caffeine that is.....

Not too keen on kids drinking this stuff, i never did and i had tonnes of energy, played a lot of sport, very active, kids these days seem to be a little..........well, flat i suppose you could say, i wonder................

Comment

I have 2 boys, eldest 14 years, has tasted coffee (my brews). Not interested. Youngest 11 years would drink it even if he didnt like it cause dad does.

I think about 16 years of age would be ok, not terribly keen on them drinking it prior, not sure of what medical effects it may have at that age, would prefer to let them drink a hot choc, Milo or one of my Decafe-WOWs .

My 2 cents.

Steve

Comment

I had my first coffee (stovetop) when I was 5 and there have been very few missed days since...

I have no regrets whatsoever!

Comment

Originally posted by 5C696463574B676E6E6D6D080 link=1259208150/5#5 date=1259218864
            I had my first coffee (stovetop) when I was 5 and there have been very few missed days since...

I have no regrets whatsoever!  
            Chris,  I have no doubt that black stuff runs through your veins.....

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by 16232E291D012D24242727420 link=1259208150/5#5 date=1259218864
              Snap!

Soon thereafter I was also allowed to stand on a chair to use the wall-mounted grinder.

Comment

Caffeine is the enemy, it leaches calcium from your bones

I dont think the odd cup of coffee is going to do your kids any harm but if they are drinking it to keep awake or wake up then that cant be healthy.

I probably started drinking coffee in my mid teens and I find I am relatively caffeine tolerant able to drink a double shot an hour or so before bed.

They are finding teenagers with osteoporosis because they have stopped drinking milk and instead drink caffeinated energy drinks and other soft drinks.

I have heard that coca cola say under 12 year olds shouldnt drink coke, but they make it the first choice drink for happy Meals at McDonalds, so go figure :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 3D3B2C273D3A2220490 link=1259208150/8#8 date=1259226458
                  Caffeine is the enemy, it leaches calcium from your bones

I dont think the odd cup of coffee is going to do your kids any harm but if they are drinking it to keep awake or wake up then that cant be healthy.

I probably started drinking coffee in my mid teens and I find I am relatively caffeine tolerant able to drink a double shot an hour or so before bed.

They are finding teenagers with osteoporosis because they have stopped drinking milk and instead drink caffeinated energy drinks and other soft drinks.

I have heard that coca cola say under 12 year olds shouldnt drink coke, but they make it the first choice drink for happy Meals at McDonalds, so go figure :-?
                  MODERATION...

Yet again; it comes back to common sense... Opps not available these days

Simple ... Look at the Sugars and the salts in all the processed food and drinks.. Let alone the other stuff..

As to Milk.. Love it.. Yet many out there pushing that it is wrong for us to drink so much milk..

Ya just cant win.. So pass me teh Butter, the white bread and a coffee to go ;D

Comment

I was allowed to taste it from as early as I remember, but did not like it. Instant was just horrible stuff (just like it is now ) and the fresh ground stovetop was half and half in my mind - half very interesting, complex, amazing but the other half was still YUCK. However I always loved the smell of fresh coffee, especially as it was being ground, and would never turn down a chance to tag along with mum and dad to the local fresh bean supplier just to wander the shop breathing that wonderful aroma.

My tastebuds evolved into liking coffee at 18 years, mostly using a plunger at that stage.

If I had kids I would let them taste coffee (a couple of sips only) until about the teens when I would highly persuade (aka obey or I will mess with your life) to drink fresh coffee instead of any of the energy drinks. Only my 2c.

Comment

My boy was actually managing the school coffee machine business at age 15. Hed been drinking coffee since about 13/14 I think.

Much to his disgust, I still tell people he is not allowed to drink coke.  ;D

But sadly, I see that some of these so called "energy drinks" empty cans are adorning his book shelves. I really dont know what that is about and in the next week or so Im about to find out... >

I have always been able to tell when he has drunk coke or these crappy drinks...Id prefer hed just drink coffee really. It was an Aussie lady by the name of Pat Coleby that convinced me to never let my son drink coke, she had a son who suffered from Hodgekins disease and she blamed in part coke for aggravating it.

However, I cant control what he does now as a young adult...except hope that he will come to his senses and ignore the marketing and stop drinking this rubbish...after all...garbage in/garbage out... :

Comment

my first was just after 18 - before then I loved the smell but hated the taste of it, if it wasnt for getting around the taste it probably would have been around 15 or 16

if I had kids theyd be drinking real coffee along with me and the partner, none of this dust for them... not straight espresso though

Comment

My son has started drinking coffee occasionally; espresso at that.
                          His best mates uncle got him onto it a few weeks ago (theyre Italian).
                          I suppose hes old enough now at 28.

Comment

I would have been about 7-8 y.o. when I was first allowed to imbibe and like Chris and Den, havent missed many days since 8-) ;D

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A7A76766D78467E7875190 link=1259208150/11#11 date=1259231949
                              But sadly, I see that some of these so called "energy drinks" empty cans are adorning his book shelves. I really dont know what that is about and in the next week or so Im about to find out...
                              I reckon the cans of Mother are just because he misses his dear old Ma...

I started drinking instant at 7 or so. I think its fine for kids to drink some (we give our 6yo decaf). Parents have to be careful though. In late high school I had a bit of insomnia. Then one day I thought, "maybe its the 8 cups of coffee a day that Im drinking! (Slow learner here!) Fixed intake; fixed sleep problem. Funny to think of enjoying all that instant now!

Comment

Working...
                              X