My Coffee Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Coffee Video

OK Here is my video of my Coffee making on YouTube. I know Im leaving myself open to all sorts of criticism here but thats the general idea I reckon. Im hoping I get some feedback.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2wZonM97kk[/media]

One thing, I let the extraction run a few seconds longer than usual because I was a tad distracted with my attempts at doing a Cecil B DeMille.

To me everything was pretty good including the extraction except as mentioned in an earlier post, after 20 seconds or so the extraction becomes pale and begins to run quite quickly. Im not sure why or if it really matters. All I know is that Im not too happy with my results.

I cant drink the Espresso I make it is quite bitter without sugar.
    Ask any questions you like.
    Cheers and thanks
    Tony

Re: My Coffee Video

Originally posted by 5863647F6C7E650B0 link=1260324481/0#0 date=1260324481
    OK Here is my video of my Coffee making on YouTube. I know Im leaving myself open to all sorts of criticism here but thats the general idea I reckon. Im hoping I get some feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2wZonM97kk

One thing, I let the extraction run a few seconds longer than usual because I was a tad distracted with my attempts at doing a Cecil B DeMille.

To me everything was pretty good including the extraction except as mentioned in an earlier post, after 20 seconds or so the extraction becomes pale and begins to run quite quickly. Im not sure why or if it really matters. All I know is that Im not too happy with my results.

I cant drink the Espresso I make it is quite bitter without sugar.
    Ask any questions you like.
    Cheers and thanks
    Tony
    From ther moment I heard the pump.. Ya let it run for about 43 seconds

I counted it at 30sec, from pump on to going a hint of pale... Then ya lefte it for another 10 plus seconds ???

Ya also tamping at an angle..

And how long have the beans been in teh hopper.. Something says stale beans and 10Sec over extraction...

Just my quick observation

Comment

OK the beans should be reasonably fresh. I picked them up from the roaster 2 weeks ago and they were roasted the day before.

Yes, I extracted too long by 5 -10 seconds and that was an error (I was distracted by my film-making) but ignoring that, note how the extraction goes pale and runs quickly after about 20-25 seconds. It takes a full 10 seconds from the time I pull the lever until the first of the extraction starts.

The Crema looks quite good and the Puck is good too?
      Cheers
      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by 556E6972617368060 link=1260324481/2#2 date=1260326815
        OK the beans should be reasonably fresh. I picked them up from the roaster 2 weeks ago and they were roasted the day before.

Yes, I extracted too long by 5 -10 seconds and that was an error (I was distracted by my film-making) but ignoring that, note how the extraction goes pale and runs quickly after about 20-25 seconds. It takes a full 10 seconds from the time I pull the lever until the first of the extraction starts.

The Crema looks quite good and the Puck is good too?
        Cheers
        Tony
        But how long have they been in the hopper a couple of hrs / min or days ??  The pour looks thin ????  And that is often BEANS..  Well it is for me and when I let mine get a bit old  

My beans never get to 14 days post roast and depending on the packet and how often the bag is left open... Stale by 2 weeks...

Some might age and be in a sealed bag for a week first.. Thus extended to 3 week over all.. But not that long if they are being accessed all teh time.. I usually put lots into smaller bags or decant a 250g lot at a time into a working bag.......

Yes as to the hilighted bit above..

Thus ya pour should end  after another 20 sec.. About 30 seconds over all from when ya hit the switch..  

Yours was significantly longer and it does not take much to add those less than desirable tastes.

I often only run for 25 to 28 sec.. with a volume of about 50ml - 55ml

Comment

AM Thanks for your feedback,

As mentioned, the extraction was a tad long. Let me ask you this... Once the extraction begins to run light in colour and faster, is that the bit that brings in the dreaded bitter taste I so often experience?

Should I stop the extraction as soon as the colour begins to go pale even if thats earlier than 30 seconds? If you note on the video it goes pale and increases volume well before 30 seconds (between 20-25).

Thanks
          Tony

Comment

Originally posted by 62595E4556445F310 link=1260324481/4#4 date=1260330900
            Once the extraction begins to run light in colour and faster, is that the bit that brings in the dreaded bitter taste I so often experience?
            YES..

But start ya time from the moment ya hit the brew switch.. It is a guide...

It goes pale a bit after 30 sec from when ya hit the run.. It was at 0.50 and from what I could see only started to go extra watery at 1.18 which is about right.. Ya stooped at about 1.31 ???

Still think ya BEANS have something to do with it..

Comment

I believe that the last 15sec of your shot is depicted by your dose. So maybe you need a little more coffee in the basket or tamp a little harder.

ps. try also tamping on the edge of your bench this will help you tamp straight and level and will also stop you from getting coffee grounds in your pour

Comment

I tend to agree with AM Shotgun, at 30 seconds after starting the pour the flow does look quite thin.
                Is it my imagination or are you using beans that are roasted very dark? the flow looks almost black while everything else in the video is very well lit, if so this could well be the cause of some of the bitter taste, as AM said, sounds like the beans to me.
                As a matter of interest do you normally drink espresso without sugar?

Comment

The light parts on the crema indicate over-extraction.

Try stopping as the flow lightens, at about 25 seconds or so. THE EXTRACTION TIMING STARTS WITH THE PUMP, NOT FROM THE APPEARANCE OF COFFEE IN THE CUP.

The flow is also a bit thin, only a bit though, and should taste good if you have good beans and fresh. Try a slightly coarser grind, and maybe a bit higher dose--have you tried the "5 cent" calibration for dose?

Be careful to tamp level.

Try wiping excess grounds rather than sharply rapping the handle--rapping can start cracks in the puck.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 4B646D6F78476B646B6D6F676F647E0A0 link=1260324481/5#5 date=1260332008
                    Still think ya BEANS have something to do with it..
                    I wouldnt discount the beans at all because they are new to me and yes they are a dark roast. Thats why Ive gone to the trouble of doing the video and numerous posts because Im so new to this high end coffee world and wasnt sure if it was me, the machine, or the beans or worse still, a bit of all of them.

Originally posted by 4B646D6F78476B646B6D6F676F647E0A0 link=1260324481/5#5 date=1260332008
                    It goes pale a bit after 30 sec from when ya hit the run.. It was at 0.50 and from what I could see only started to go extra watery at 1.18 which is about right..  Ya stooped at about 1.31 ???
                    Im not sure what you mean by this AM? What is the 1.31 number?

Originally posted by 536F667E6B0A0 link=1260324481/7#7 date=1260339249
                    Is it my imagination or are you using beans that are roasted very dark? the flow looks almost black while everything else in the video is very well lit, if so this could well be the cause of some of the bitter taste, as AM said, sounds like the beans to me
                    Yes, the early extraction is almost black and doesnt look at all like some of the extraction videos Ive seen online where its more a thick creamy colour and texture.

Ive noticed too that when I dump my Puck into the knock box. on the GH basket there is always a lip of coffee grounds around the top edge on the side where the GH is. Is that usual? I assumed it was hanging a bit because of the extra weight of the group handle but when I think about it, that seems illogical.

Originally posted by 6863647E6B646D323C0A0 link=1260324481/6#6 date=1260338123
                    I believe that the last 15sec of your shot is depicted by your dose. So maybe you need a little more coffee in the basket or tamp a little harder.
                    Im not sure I can dose any more coffee into the basket at all. If I tamp too hard with more in the basket it restricts extraction to a slow drip and 60ml would take 60-90 secs.

I think Ill buy a tin of Nescafe!!! :-[

Comment

If you look at the colour of the shot on my Avatar, that seems to be the colour a good extraction should be even if its a double... Not completely black. True?

Cheers
                      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by 0D382F2D1D2538272B262E4A0 link=1260324481/8#8 date=1260340888
                        The light parts on the crema indicate over-extraction.

Try stopping as the flow lightens, at about 25 seconds or so. THE EXTRACTION TIMING STARTS WITH THE PUMP, NOT FROM THE APPEARANCE OF COFFEE IN THE CUP.

The flow is also a bit thin, only a bit though, and should taste good if you have good beans and fresh. Try a slightly coarser grind, and maybe a bit higher dose--have you tried the "5 cent" calibration for dose?

Be careful to tamp level.

Try wiping excess grounds rather than sharply rapping the handle--rapping can start cracks in the puck.

Greg
                        Greg, I have no idea what the 5 cent calibration is? Can you enlighten me please?
                        It seems to be as though Im going to need to go back to square one and build from there. Im going to do a Barista course with my local CS sponsor in the new year and I hope that will help. Until then though I think I might need good beans.
                        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by 447F7863706279170 link=1260324481/9#9 date=1260341108
                          think Ill buy a tin of Nescafe!!!

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Dont do it ShotGun.
                          If you take the advice and a bit of time to practice (and perhaps some training at one of the site sponsers, eg. dibella have free 1/2hr sessions) you should improve the shots.

Have you been to Costa Noosa or Pioneer Rostery?
                          They might be able to help and are in your neck of the woods.

p.s. nice gear, the place you bought it may be able to help also.

Comment

Originally posted by 764D4A5142504B250 link=1260324481/9#9 date=1260341108
                            AngerManagement wrote on Today at 15:13:
                            It goes pale a bit after 30 sec from when ya hit the run.. It was at 0.50 and from what I could see only started to go extra watery at 1.18 which is about right..  Ya stooped at about 1.31 ???

Im not sure what you mean by this AM? What is the 1.31 number?
                            If ya watch ya video the numbers are the time.. Thus ya hiy the switch as 0.50 into the vid and the pour should have stopped at about 1.16... But it went to 1.31 - Well over extracted..

As we have stated before..

Originally posted by 764D4A5142504B250 link=1260324481/11#11 date=1260341861
                            THE EXTRACTION TIMING STARTS WITH THE PUMP, NOT FROM THE APPEARANCE OF COFFEE IN THE CUP.
                            Thus ya have to play with the dose / tamp / grind to get every thing in line... 2 + 2 = 5 for good coffee.

5cent piece.. Search CS and plenty on it...

PS... Will be up the coast from Monday...

Comment

Hey Tony!

im just gonna add my constructive critisism... hope you dont mind

Using the group handle holding prongs on the grinder you knocked down your grinds 6 times... i would suggest using the top of the grinds hopper as its more rigid and dosing to roughly half way then collapsing the grinds...then building a mound and collapsing again before leveling off and tamping.

That will equal less restricion in the bottom of the basket and a more easily rememberable routine.

Also you seemed to give it a good wack with the tamper to knock the grinds back into the basket...maybe not so hard? lol

Your tamper seemed a little bit undersized too... a customized Pullman should solve that

The rest everyone else has said... tamp on the edge of a bench, cut the shot 10 seconds(or more) earlier and make sure your beans are fresh.

What AngerManagement was asking is all though your beans were bought fresh, have they been in the grinder hopper ever since? or do you only bring out what you are going to grind, leaving the rest to keep from the Noosa humidity?

Warm temps are a coffee killer but so is up and down temp variences, even if only small differences in temps.

Keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                              X