Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naked group handle or Pullman Tamper

Decisions, decisions...

I came second in the 10000 CSers comp and I cant decide what I should choose! I thought some lovely CSers could help me

Custom Pullman tamper? or Naked PF from Jetblack Espresso ? Or will an Avacuppa Gene Cafe roaster help me more (though I can barely make great coffee, the thought of roasting my beans then waiting a week before I can use them almost makes me hyperventilate)

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Naked group handle or Pullman Tamper

Originally posted by 2B3E2C37363A5F0 link=1260960964/0#0 date=1260960964
    Custom Pullman tamper? or Naked group handle from Jetblack Espresso ? Or will an Avacuppa Gene Cafe roaster help me more  
    Im not sure if I qualify for the "lovely CSer" description but if it was my choice, Id go the Gene Cafe! Without downplaying the Pullman or Jetblack contribution, the GeneCafe is a more valuable prize and roasting is definitely something worth getting involved in.

The trick with roasting is to prepare ahead so the beans have rested for long enough once you have finished your current beans.
    But ... also try your beans at various times after roasting to find out what your optimum rest time is.

Congrats to you and the other prize winners.

Comment

If you have a shitty tamper at the moment then Id recommend going the pullman tamper. I really enjoy the deluxe tamper that Ive been using lately and currently rate it above the espressocraft 9th street tamper that I have at home.

Comment

IMHO, as nice as a Pullman or Naked GH would be - assuming you dont currently roast and have the place and time to do so - the Gene would save you money on beans and add a whole new dimension to your coffee journey.

Comment

Im not sure Im at the stage of roasting yet, Im still quite new to coffee.

I forgot to mention that I have a decent-ish tamper now with a wooden handle weight about 350g. Its not custom fitted or anything, but its still more functional than most tampers and quite aesthetically pleasing.

My coffee making is still a work in progress, so Im leaning more to the tamper or naked PF for diagnostics. Plus theyre both REALLY pretty.

Comment

Then i would suggest the naked group handle then...

Not only can you woo your friends with it but it can tell you a lot about the way you dose and tamp, possibly leading to better espresso
            And isnt that what we all want?

Seeing as though you already have a half decent tamper and are not looking to do the roasting side of things just yet...

Comment

To be honest, a naked group handles novelty will wear off in a week. What it will do though is expose all, if any, flaws you have during extraction. Expect a few squirts of espresso in your eye!

My naked pf is on blind filter duties and always will be.

I say:

1) gene cafe simply because it costs the most and its a great product!
              2) custom pullman tamp....CUSTOM!
              3) naked pf

Comment

what wushoes says.

nakeds are nice for extraction diagnosis, but you lose something in the taste of a shot - I only use them when I really want to bring out fruits & florals.

Comment

Originally posted by 7A585E4542485E2D0 link=1260960964/6#6 date=1261052589
                  I say:

1) gene cafe simply because it costs the most and its a great product!
                  2) custom pullman tamp....CUSTOM!
                  3) naked group handle
                  Moot points as tashie has already chosen the Pullman, but that would have been my selection order too.

Enjoy your Pullman tashie. I think it was a great choice

Originally posted by 64494843594459542D0 link=1260960964/7#7 date=1261055937
                  you lose something in the taste of a shot - I only use them when I really want to bring out fruits & florals.
                  Arent you contradicting yourself there John? Do you lose something or do you gain something in a shot from a naked handle?

I found mine invaluable for correcting my technique. Now I use mine primarily for backflushing; occasionally, when Im pouring a shot into a measuring glass and sometimes, when I need to prepare two double ristrettos quickly.
                  Its also enjoyable watching a good shot from a naked.

Comment

Good choice tashie.
                    The Pullmans are a beatiful piece of kit (Ive got two).

I use my nekid gh all the time as I enjoy watching the pours.
                    The novelty has not worn off yet and its been well over a week now. :P

Comment

Thanks guys,

I thought about the Gene Cafe too as I figured if I didnt know what I want, I should just go with the most expensive.

Then figured thats not good logic at all as I could be depriving someone else of something they had been coveting, not to mention that Im not that interested in roasting my own beans. Im still developing my espresso technique and my latte art is well - crap! (Yes I know I shouldve probably taken the class with David - LOL)

AM has generous donated a NON Knacid? Rancilio? PF to my cause. So now all I need is to find someone who wants to take a drill or lathe to it

CUSTOM PULLMAN indeed! Very exciting - been coveting one for ages and every single person on the net who has ever bought one raves about them - I figure the pictures probably dont do them justice.

Since you are all Pullman owners, any favourites or suggestions? I wont be orderin til the New Year - sure Robin is flat out already.

Comment

My 1st choice would have been a Barista tamper in the blue but due to my 54mm baskets i was restricted to the Delux... not thats there is anything wrong with that mind you i just had my heart set on a blue tamper Ill just have to get another machine with 58mm baskets so i can get one finally

Instead i went with the wooden handled Delux with the checkerboard style multi wood handle....VERY NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by 556C727C465E190 link=1260960964/11#11 date=1261118631
                          Instead i went with the wooden handled Delux with the checkerboard style multi wood handle....VERY NICE!
                          Thats what I would choose.

Comment

Originally posted by 5247554E4F43260 link=1260960964/10#10 date=1261091964
                            Since you are all Pullman owners, any favourites or suggestions? I wont be orderin til the New Year - sure Robin is flat out already.
                            What can I say: a Barista with the grape handle. If I was to recommend anything else Id have got it myself! ;D

Greg
                            PS--order now!

Comment

YES! I am coveting the Grape and Robin was restocking the shelves when I last called him as they just got more in.
                              Best colour IMO, followed by that dark red.

The Jarrah is option two but I like a heavier tamper, and the Jarrah isonly 275g.

Current no-name tamper weighs 377g.

Comment

Working...
                              X