Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your machine cleaning habits daily/weekly/monthly? (Multiple Optionsa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your machine cleaning habits daily/weekly/monthly? (Multiple Optionsa)

Just wondering. I know what the manuals say but wondering how often you clean our beloved machines??
    Although Ive only had the machine for 5 days.....Im reasonbly fussy and cleans the spout and flush after each coffee........then daily wipe.

This morning I backflushed but without the backwash powder.... I think I will do this fortnightly or monthly.......depends what you guys/gals do .......

So spill the beans !!!  Just how fussy are you??

Re: What are your machine cleaning habits daily/weekly/monthly? (Multiple Optionsa)

I backflush with water only after each session.

Detergent clean fortnightly.

It depends on how much you use the machine.
    Coffee oils build up over time.
    If you made twice as many coffees in a week as I do youd have to clean twice as often.

Comment

Re: What are your machine cleaning habits daily/weekly/monthly? (Multiple Optionsa)

I backflush with water each evening and wipe the machine down.

I do around a monthly detergent clean - sometimes more often if Ive had guests and the machine has had higher than normal shots put through it.

Definitely recommend getting some espresso machine cleaning powder from one of the site sponsors - Ive got a large tub that I got from Chris at TalkCoffee about 9 months ago and its still half full. That stuff does all sorts of other things, too, not just my machine so its multi-purpose.

Cheers
      Di

Comment

I do a daily flush and wipe after making a coffee. Also do a weekly clean which is full wipe down, empty drip tray, flush water through,etc.

Black flush using the SB tablets after a month or two depending on use. And descaling after 6-8 months period.

Comment

I clean and flush after each use (daily) and do a weekly backwash with detergent. I only make 3-6 cups per day.

Comment

P/F wiggle after each shot, and a weekly backflush with detergent.

Comment

wow, interesting habits and good care by everyone so far.........this is awesome.......each one a little different to the next owner....

Comment

GPP: Scale filtered water feed, PF wiggle after every session, backflush (water) end of every day, chemical backflush weekly, full descale as required, usually quarterly though

SJ: Until i remove the auto stop flap........tape modded, pulled apart every month to clean path and burrs with a toothbrush.

Comment

Usually I do a water backflush each week, take apart the group and give it a soak in cleaner monthly

drip tray and winggle after each session and descaled every 6 - 12 months (ive descaled once and had no evidence of scal at all which is good, filtered water only in my baby)

Comment

Rancilio Silvia - 2 coffees a day
                    • scrub the screen and seal with the little brush and wipe down machine after each coffee
                    • backflush with water each week
                    • backflush with coffee machine detergent every 4-6 weeks, soaking the portafilter baskets while Im at it
                    • take grouphead apart and scrub with same detergent every second detergented backflush

works for me...

Comment

Jiggle with blind filter then water only back flush at last session of the day, wipe down machine, chemical wash 3-4 weekly, wipe with wet and then dry micro-fibre cloth whenever I see a blemish on stainless!! : : : :

Comment

Backflush what is this backflush thing you speak of : Got to love levers for simplicity :P

Brush and Wipe over daily, Cafetto every week or two for all bits the coffee gets to. Drop the shower screens out every month I guess.

Comment

Pretty much backflush with just water (and do the portafilter boogie, i mean wiggle) every coffee brewing session, and a weekly/fortnightly chemical backflushing. Takes me at least 25 minutes to clean up everything (including grinder, milk jugs, etc..)

Im curious, how long does it take for everyone to clean everything up once finished making coffees? I usually brush out all grinds from my grinder, then pick out and suck all the grinds out from my grinder with a dustbuster (i use it in the beanhopper, chute, and dosing chamber), backflush the espresso machine with water, and clean up all the dishes...

How long does it take everyone else? Is there any quicker method haha, as IN, do i really need to be cleaning my grinder etc this thoroughly? I just dont like leaving old grinds in there!

Comment

Jiggle grinder at end of grind while running to get rid of most leftover grinds
                            Wipe steam wand and run for about 5 secondss
                            Run machine through wiped basket for about 5 secondss
                            Wipe and brush seal and shower screen
                            Run machine through rinsed basket again for about 5 seconds
                            Rinse basket and group handle
                            Wipe machine

This probably takes about 1 minute

Water backflush and empty tray at end of day

Chemical backflush and remove shower screen every month
                            (when looking at removed shower screen there doesnt seem to be too much residue left on it to me)

Descale every 3 months

Comment

After making coffee:
                              Immediately after steaming is complete, wipe wand with yellow microfibre cloth and purge more steam.
                              Run water through group head, brush around group and seal with pallo tool.
                              Wipe out basket in group handle and reload loosely into group. Wipe down any areas needing it with the blue microfibre cloth.

Weekly (approx.):
                              Chemical backflush of machine. Soak Group handle, baskets and pallo brush in caffetto solution.
                              Brush out stray grounds from grinder. Remove grinder hopper, lids and grounds tray for soapy wash. SS knockbox drawer also gets a soapy wash.

Six monthly:
                              Descale, group seal replacement and shower screen clean (or replacement). On the Expobar, the shower screen can only be removed when you take the group seal out as well, so I put a bit of faith in the backflush to take care of things. So far, the worst I have seen is some reasonably hard buildup around the internal edge. Not great, but not bad enough to make me think I need to be looking more frequently.

Brett.

Comment

Working...
                              X