Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To fill grinder with beans or not?

Hello
    Im curious about wether or not i should fill my sunbeam grinder with fresh beans as soon as i get them, or should i just put the beans in as i need them?

currently i just empty the beans into the hopper on my EM0480 and there used with in about 4 days 5 max.

Re: To fill grinder with beans or not?

If it works for you, do it.

I prefer to have only enough beans in the grinder for the cup of coffee Im currently grinding. The rest stay safe in the one-way valved bag.

Greg

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Most people around CS will only place what the need to use in the hopper, some believe that placing around 100gms in the hopper, grinding what you need and then putting unground beans back into the sealed bag promotes a more consistent grind due to the weight on the beans being ground.......

As greg said, if it works do it, but it also depends on what beans you are using too, if they are supermarket beans, then they are stale already and you might as well save time and dump em all in the hopper. If they are from a local roaster, then your better off saving that freshness and keeping them locked away in a one way valve bag!

cheers
        warren

Comment

thanks for quick replies.
          yeah they are quality fresh beans from a local perth coffee shop.
          i think ill follow suit and start only putting in what im about to use.

Comment

Originally posted by 455B5F425E4F360 link=1266400146/4#4 date=1266401254
            thanks for quick replies.
            Thats how we roll :were all obsessed

Comment

Originally posted by 6E70746975641D0 link=1266400146/4#4 date=1266401254
              yeah they are quality fresh beans from a local perth coffee shop.
              Are you sure they are fresh?
              Does the bag have a "Roasted On" date?

Comment

actually no this bag doesnt, the last bag i got did though!
                i only just noticed, its something i should check, noobie mistake? haha
                however you can trust the shop i get my beans from. its the same place i did my barista course the other week.

Comment

Smithy, I found that when I used my sunbeam grinder, and only put a few beans in the grind was very different, than having a large amount of beans in. It seems they are affected by wieght. If you do a search you may find an old thread on it. I think some C/Sers used a balloon filled with something like rice to stick in their hopper to act as extra wieght.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E7B6C6E5E667B6468656D090 link=1266400146/1#1 date=1266400317
                    I prefer to have only enough beans in the grinder for the cup of coffee Im currently grinding. The rest stay safe in the one-way valved bag.
                    Im the same, although i tend to put in about 100g at a time.

Comment

I only put the amount of beans i need for that particular shot. The rest are stored in the cupboard in an airtight container. Seem to work well for me. 8-)

Comment

Place a shot load into my hand grinder at home (full hopper) and virtually ZERO wastage

Really stopped using my electric grinders for just me and only use them when I have to make a few in a row. But then only just the correct beans for the session.

A few times where I have been short on roasted beans to halp age them a little quicker I have put some of the roast in the hopper, and for the same reason you shouldnt leave them there normally.

Comment

Put me down for "only what i need" in the grinder.

I used to weigh the beans then put them into the hopper..now i know roughly by where in the hopper im filling to.

Comment

Hi, noobie question. I seem to recall Chris from Talk Coffee saying you need a certain level of beans in the hopper for bean mass (or something) so that the grinds are consistent.

Being the only coffee drinker in the house, would putting in only enough beans for a single shot have a noticeable effect on the grind? Has anyone tested the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by 3821262F3827262F480 link=1266400146/13#13 date=1266488748
                              Hi, noobie question. I seem to recall Chris from Talk Coffee saying you need a certain level of beans in the hopper for bean mass (or something) so that the grinds are consistent.

Being the only coffee drinker in the house, would putting in only enough beans for a single shot have a noticeable effect on the grind? Has anyone tested the difference?
                              Your best bet is to try a couple of shots back to back with different levels of beans in the hopper and see if you notice the difference.

I took the hopper off to grind a few beans to waste that were in the grinder and they bounced everywhere before being ground

Comment

Working...
                              X