single shot using double basket OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single shot using double basket OK?

Is it ok to pour a single shot of coffee from a double basket?

or better stick with single basket for single pour and vice-versa.

I have a double basket (although it has both 1cup and 2cup markings)
    and cant be bothered to keep changing baskets

Re: single shot using double basket OK?

No.

You would have to adjust the grind quite a bit otherwise the flow will be too fast, if it would work at all... using the single basket would allow the use of the same grind, or just a small adjustment, depending on the grinder.

If you "...cant be bothered.." to do something so simple as to change baskets, why are you wasting your time making espresso when just dropping a spoonful or two of instant into a cup is so easy and quick? ...although it does take some time to boil water, and that might be a bother as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 51565B4E43220 link=1267026338/0#0 date=1267026338
      Is it ok to pour a single shot of coffee from a double basket?
      YES! Of course! I only ever use my double basket as I find the results are much tastier. I also couldnt be bothered changing between the two constantly, simply because I find the shots out of the single basket arent as good as the ones I get from my double basket.

Comment

Hi styla,

I am not sure if its just me, but I read this as a can I half fill a double basket question?

If that is what youre asking, the answer is 100% no. Perhaps its worth trying to scrounge another group handle. That said, I dont think I have used a single (other than to hold a blind filter) in the last 5 years.

Hope that helps...

2mcm

Comment

My favourite shot is to pull a single through a double basket
          But I always fill the basket

Comment

Originally posted by 603F27313A313D343437373F333C520 link=1267026338/3#3 date=1267045582
            I am not sure if its just me, but I read this as a can I half fill a double basket question?
            Thats how I read it as well and agree that the answer is no.  If you only half fill the basket you will get a gusher.

You can however fill the double basket and only run enough coffee equivalent to a single shot.  I think thats a double ristretto and something I often do.

Comment

Single baskets belong in the bottom drawer.

Full dose, Grind, Tamp and use the double to make a single shot if you must or pour one off for the fridge for an iced coffee.

Look up the term Ristretto and play around with using a double shot pour but only take a single of it into the cup for different flavours. ie. Miss the first 2-3 seconds of the pour and the last 10 seconds or so and use the middle you might find it sweeter and tastier

If your worried about wasting coffee and the expense get into roasting your own

Comment

The main problem is the basket.
                I have only 1 unpressurised double basket.
                Even if I get my hands on a second group handle I will need another single unpressurised basket (which is not available for my model)

I dont mind changing baskets but if I do, im changing back to pressurised.

Comment

Drink double shots or just waste a shot or even throw the second shot from the double in the fridge for iced coffee or something like that.

Comment

You can make a single from a double basket, but you will be wasting coffee (unless youre making two singles)
                    The double always makes a nicer coffee than the single though in my experience.

Comment

The reality is that you can do *anything* like that, if it takes your fancy. You can certainly continue to do it as long as you like the result.

I would suggest you try a ristretto. Use the double basket as you would for a double shot but express only 30 ml (or even less) of coffee from it. If you are a milk and/or sugar person then add a lot less than you normally would for a shot until you get the taste you like.

Just for the record, since I discovered ristrettos I never make a full shot and I always fill the double basket with grounds.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 1F2C232934120A634D0 link=1267026338/1#1 date=1267031337
                        If you "...cant be bothered.." to do something so simple as to change baskets, why are you wasting your time making espresso when just dropping a spoonful or two of instant into a cup is so easy and quick?  
                        See these are the comments some people should keep under their hat, styla was simply asking a question. No one else had answered as the above member did, all other answers have been helpfull.

I guess a little understanding of new people not knowing as much as older members goes along way.

Comment

The way i see the questions is like this...

He is asking if pouring a single 30mm(aprox) shot though a properly dosed double basket?

YEP! sure is! I do it all the time at home. Keep in mind though that with a volumetric espresso machine, it doesnt take into account the extra coffee in the basket. This extra coffee will soak up some extra water making the 30mm shot somewhat shorter. If your pouring manually then you can stop the shot whenever you like.

The result of this shot is a little more sweeter, fuller in body and thicker in mouth feel. And of course more intense than a single shot through a single basket.

Comment

Originally posted by 50697779435B1C0 link=1267026338/12#12 date=1267688240

He is asking if pouring a single 30mm(aprox) shot though a properly dosed double basket?
                            I dont think you read it right.

Originally posted by 6F6865707D1C0 link=1267026338/0#0 date=1267026338
                            I have a double basket (although it has both 1cup and 2cup markings)
                            To fill the basket to the 1 cup level would need the grind adjusted differently to that used for the 2 cup level.

Comment

He is asking if he can pour a single 30(aprox) shot through a double basket that has been dosed with a single dose of coffee?

Errrr...ima go with no...well yes but no.

The result will be a weak underextracted shot leaving much to be desired.
                              Originally posted by 714D504B414057424A41250 link=1267026338/13#13 date=1267709156
                              I dont think you read it right.
                              Guilty as charged

EDIT: On second thought...just disregard my comments as i no longer have any idea what were talking about lol  

Comment

Working...
                              X