Coffee During Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee During Pregnancy

Whats your take on coffee intake during pregnancy? My sister is a coffee lover like me, and she just found out shes pregnant. How much coffee can she take in a day?

Re: Coffee During Pregnancy

Through all three (and now fourth) pregnancies my wife has reduced her caffiene intake.
    She still has tea but now I make her a decaf if she feels like a coffee.

Not sure on recommended amounts at all though.

Comment

Hi Heidi

I drank coffee throughout both of my pregnancies although, I have to admit, at that stage it was only instant (Jarrah Vienna).

I dont think mild amounts are bad for a developing baby particularly, but when it does come into play is once the baby is born - if your sister is going to be breastfeeding, the caffeine goes directly through to her milk and, as a consequence, the baby and it can keep the baby awake.

Cheers
      Di

Comment

Heres the NSW food authority page on what to eat and not eat in pregnancy. At the bottom of the page is the NSW Health recommendation on caffeine. It indicates 200mg of caffeine per day is okay while pregnant (it says thats about 2 cups of coffee):
        http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...ood/pregnancy/

Comment

Is there anything women can eat or drink these days? I have a friend who is currently pregnant and the list of donts is insane.

To be honest, one or two cups of latte a day should be okay, just keep away from instant as it has higher levels of caffeine than espresso.

I drank latte and cappucinos through both my pregnancies and my 2 girls are ok.

Comment

Id be very cautious about government recommendations, the information is often far from accurate, for a wide variety of reasons.

If coffee is important to her I would suggest a good read of the scientific coffee sites and a collection of papers through Google Scholar. Then turn that information into "intelligence". Information needs to be judged by reliability, consistency, the goals of the provider, and its applicability to the individual, before it becomes intelligence.

This can be a bit of a long process but at the end you are likely to have an answer that suits the individual.

Greg
            (information junkie ;D)

Comment

Thanks all for sharing some information. Id share them with my darling sis.

Thanks Jakes for the link. And thanks Greg for the advice.

Comment

Probably best if she sticks to decaf for a while, better to be safe than sorry.

It cant be any worse for the baby than all those *insert harsh name here* mothers that smoke while pregnant.

Comment

Personally I would go on the safe side and minimize coffee and anything else that could "potentially" harm a baby. I would want to give the baby its best chance of a healthy start. But hey my parents smoked they had me and Im ok banans purple rain and dust shelter bush.

Comment

I drank 2 coffees a day throughout my 4 pregnancies, my kids are all healthy. The recommended intake is between 1-3 caffeinated drinks daily depending on which doctor you speak to.

Comment

Originally posted by 2D3422282F2520410 link=1268919250/4#4 date=1269039170
                      To be honest, one or two cups of latte a day should be okay, just keep away from instant as it has higher levels of caffeine than espresso.
                      One or two cups is fine - I agree. Though I very much doubt that instant has higher levels of caffeine - as with all coffee-related matters, it depends on how you make it.

See: http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 6664687567606969050 link=1268919250/10#10 date=1271021061
                        Though I very much doubt that instant has higher levels of caffeine
                        That table youre using is comparing a double shot of espresso to a single shot of instant. Ergo, where the same amount of coffee is in the cup, the one with the instant will be higher in caffeine content.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B6965786A6D6464080 link=1268919250/10#10 date=1271021061
                          Originally posted by 2D3422282F2520410 link=1268919250/4#4 date=1269039170
                          One or two cups is fine - I agree. Though I very much doubt that instant has higher levels of caffeine - as with all coffee-related matters, it depends on how you make it.

See: http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm

That table youre using is comparing a double shot of espresso to a single shot of instant.  Ergo, where the same amount of coffee is in the cup, the one with the instant will be higher in caffeine content.
                          Im happy to stand corrected, but I still dont think instant has more caffeine - though as I said originally, it depends on how you make your coffee.

Im betting that an average flat white made with espresso coffee has more caffeine than instant ... where both cups have the same volume of liquid. I know I get a much greater caffeine jolt from the espresso I make, than I do from instant.

http://wilstar.com/caffeine.htm

Comment

my wife just had a baby a couple days ago, but she was drinking 1 cup a day without any issues..

Comment

Well, one issue.  

Comment

Working...
                              X