Amanti registers Cup of Excellence in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amanti registers Cup of Excellence in Australia

Amanti coffee has registered the name Cup of Excellence here in Australia, and can potentially limit its use in cafes and roasteries.

They were made aware of what CoE is (a not for profit etc) but have still refused to let go of the rights.

This has the potential to be devastating for the Cup of Excellence program and its supporters in Australia. Please help by raising awareness of this, thanks.

Source:
    Jason Scheltus
    www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=114497

Re: Amanti registers Cup of Excellence in Australia

Sic em Luca Mark   Question is have they tried to Trademark it or have they just registered it as a business?

There has been an ongoing battle between Lion Nathan and a US company over the name Barefoot in the context of Alcoholic drinks. http://www.australiantrademarkslawbl...with-barefoot/ There is some similarities but they needed to claim prior and ongoing use seems to be one of the keys.

In the meanwhile not that I buy their beans AMANTI consider yourself on the blackball list of my coffee suppliers >

Comment

Yeah, I saw this. Absolutely disgusting. What do they expect to achieve?
      You would assume that a coffee company would have a degree of respect for what CoE tries to achieve.

I wonder if it is ignorance or a cheap attempt to make money off the back of a really worthwhile initiative.

Not that I would buy their coffee, they are definitely on my list of companies to avoid.

Comment

Its nothing new really, Amanti have registered all sorts of names in the past that they had no real interest in.

a quick look in the yellowpages will show...

Amante Coffee
        AMANTI# Espresso U.N.I.#
        Amanti Gourmet Coffee
        Amici Coffee
        Amici Espresso
        Australias Best Coffee
        Bono Coffee
        BuyCoffee.com.au
        Caffe Vito
        Cappuccino Coffee
        Coffee Advice Line
        Coffee Quality Institue of Australia
        Coffee Tea Chocolate
        Doctor Coffee
        Espresso Coffee
        Expresso With Attitude
        Free Coffee
        Ghiradelli Australia
        Ghirardelli Coffee
        The Healthier Coffee
        Kaimak Coffee
        Khalif Coffee
        Kokora Coffee Blackburn
        Latte Coffee
        The One With Aroma
        Organic Coffee Co.
        Organic Flavour Co
        Outback Coffee
        Roasters Guilde of Australia
        Rosta Coffee
        Speciality Coffee Associates Australia
        Specialty Coffee Institute of Australia
        The True Blue Brew
        World Coffee Aid

The ones that irks me far more than CoE are:
        Roasters Guilde of Australia
        Speciality Coffee Associates Australia
        Specialty Coffee Institute of Australia
        >

Comment

In the Too Much Coffee thread Jason said:

"I think at the moment theyre looking at ways of having it excluded but they need proof that the term Cup of Excellence was used before 2008 to describe the competition. Which is difficult to come across!"

how about is one...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1120526174

Maybe CoffeeSnobs can claim the name in Australia and then give it back to the rightful owner!

Comment

Originally posted by 4D6268750C0 link=1269911586/4#4 date=1269917470
            http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1120526174

Maybe CoffeeSnobs can claim the name in Australia and then give it back to the rightful owner!
            BANG! Good find Andy

Comment

Gee only 2005 ;D I did mean Luca too as he was referenced in the linked article but Mark is correct too

Comment

Originally posted by 0728223F460 link=1269911586/4#4 date=1269917470
                they need proof that the term Cup of Excellence was used before 2008 to describe the competition. Which is difficult to come across!

It is mentioned here in 2003.

http://www.mountaintopcoffee.com.au/assets/HA%20Bennett%20-%20MTC%20Feild%20Day%20report%20_Oct%2003_.pdf

11:00am Global market demands for DGB. What is ?Specialty coffee?. Specialty coffee
                trends globally. Cup of excellence. Purchasing DGB - from a roasters perspective, what
                are the important issues. Perception of Australian grown from the roasters perspective.

Comment

...yeah, but we also have the bag to prove(?!?!) it.

8-)

(boy, its been a LONG time since Ive seen that much of the Snobbery1 floor)

Comment

I find it rather interesting that there is more emotion flying about over  who is and who is not included in the top cafes in Australia list in one newspaper, than a company cynically stealing a trademark.

It sets a really bad precedent, and the cost and effort in fighting this are diverting effort away from a really worthwhile programme.

I am not fully aware of the implications, but would be interested to know if you could not put CoE member on your business, or on coffee you sell if it was registered by Amanti.

Comment

CS Lawyers assemble!!!!!! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 5B7C77464A190 link=1269911586/9#9 date=1269936074
                        I find it rather interesting that there is more emotion flying about overwho is and who is not included in the top cafes in Australia list in one newspaper, than a company cynically stealing a trademark.
                        A sad indictment.

Hopefully the specialty coffee community can pull together to fight this one.  

Comment

I can only imagine that they arent doing well with sales and hope by registering these names they might supplement their income. :P

It really seems they dont care about or have any ethics.

Andy, if I can chip in some way to help defeat this, let me know.

Comment

Registering a trade mark means **NOTHING** until you try and defend it in court--and you must defend it or lose it.

Any prior use is likely to make any defense attempt useless.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 6D584F4D7D4558474B464E2A0 link=1269911586/13#13 date=1269943140
                              Registering a trade mark means **NOTHING** until you try and defend it in court--and you must defend it or lose it.
                              I think it is more than that though as well. They could serve some pig swill and call it cup of excellence (they registered the trademark) and it would then devalue the reputation of CoE to your average consumer. I think your average coffeesnob will know the difference, but your average consumer would not.

Comment

Working...
                              X