Distribution--between dosing and tamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution--between dosing and tamping

As I was net surfing the other day I ran across a test of the Weiss Distribution Technique that had a couple of videos to show the difference it made. I had thought what I was doing was good but the extraction videos showed a new target to aim for.

I could easily pick the difference in the way the coffee came through the screen on the bottomless group handle and became determined to try it myself.

I got myself a nice sized sewing needle and sunk it (eye first) into a small handle--a 3 inch stick from the garden--fastened with a bit of epoxy glue.

I did my usual dose into the filter basket, and stirred the result with the needle. It levelled off the dose so well it didnt need any other work.

I tamped and locked and threw the lever.

RESULT--the most even extraction ever! and a new "best taste" for a straight doppio ristretto--sweet chocolate and fruit without a hint of bitterness or sourness.

The WDT is now "standard operating procedure" at my place.

Greg

Re: Distribution--between dosing and tamping

The WDT is now "standard operating procedure" at my place.
    I must have been looking at same site Greg. being fairly new still to the CS scene, I gave it a go and was impressed also. My tool is a small thin cake tester that my Mother in Law used to have years ago, and being the sentimental type I never wanted to throw it out cos it had a cute top/handle on it! it is much thinner than the usual cake testers. as to the funnel used... I cut the botom off a small tupperware container and its pretty useless actually! :-/ will have to do some more lateral thinking as to what I may use for that :-?

Comment

have you got a link for the site? im sure alot of other csers wouldnt mind having a look.

Comment

http://www.home-barista.com/weiss-distribution-technique.html

Google is everybodys friend!!!

Comment

Thats the article I read alright!

Suepergran--I just use one of the clear plastic yoghurt cups with both the top and bottom cut off. It sits neatly in the top of the basket and is only about 3 cm tall. It works a treat and has lasted almost a year so far.

Greg

Comment

Ran some tests on the WDT.....with some great results, will edit this post when I get to work

thanks Greg

Comment

I stopped using it for a while and noticed the difference - back on the wagon with it and will not look back! I use a small screwdriver (ones used for micro electronics) and have found that as long as I do it after dosing the first half of the coffee it still provides great results. this means I dont have to worry about doing the plastic cup thing as with only half the grounds they dont escape the basket.

Comment

The "nutating" tamp achieves the same objectives (verified by experimentation) but doesnt involve any additional hardware....

Mal.

Comment

Ok, work was too busy to post results so here goes,
                  I ran six tests (shots)

Note: all shots poured with a naked synesso double.

The shots:
                  2 x normal, dose, tap, tap, level, tamp (shot 1 to watch pour and drink as short black, shot 2 for milk)

2 x full WDT, dose, tap, tap, WDT, level, tamp (shot 1 to watch pour and drink as short black, shot 2 for milk)

2 x half WDT, dose 3/4 grinds, tap, WDT, dose, level, tamp (shot 1 to watch pour and drink as short black, shot 2 for milk)

Results:
                  Pours-
                  Norm.     - channeling with blonding around 15 - 20 sec mark, very uneven flow from different parts/sides of the basket, overextracted in some parts, underextracted in others.....not a good shot produced.

WDT -Beautiful pour, no blonding at all, slight tiger striping toward very end of shot, very even, formed central stream early on and maintained throughout, thick, perfect!

1/2 WDT -Virtually the same as full WDT!

Taste comparison
                  Short Black
                  Normal was a little bitter on the pallette as expected due to the blonding, it lacked body. low on mouthfeel, watery for lack of a better word?
                  WDT and Half WDT produced a much much better shot, more choc and caramel without the bitterness of the blonding. (one of the best shots ive ever had from my roast )

latte
                  As to be expected, the WDT method produced a better, more rounded coffee in both instances, whilst the normal(my norm)method was perfectly acceptable in milk, the WDT method worked its way through the milk better.

Conclusion:
                  This will also be the new SOP in my home from now on too! Unless Im making a heap of em that is, as its quite fiddly.....but worth it for 2 ppl

Thanks again Greg for bringing this method up again, I hadnt tried it since my Silvia, before I PIDed it!

Cheers
                  Warren

Comment

Hi Mal,

I know the nutating tamp is supposed to get the same result, it was also recommended by Jim Schulman as his favourite.

However there must be a nutating technique I cant get right because the WDT is lots better for me. I tried them both with the bottomless group handle and my results match WSullys.

I didnt trial the 1/2 WDT as for me a 1/2 would be extra work.

Computer, credit card, beans, car, roaster, exhaust fan, cooler, one-way bags, scale, grinder, yoghurt funnel, WDT pin, tamper, machine, cup, steaming jug, fridge, milk, spoons, sugar, hand, mouth.

The one extra piece doesnt seem significant to me. ;D

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 62574042724A5748444941250 link=1271323648/9#9 date=1271810026
                      However there must be a nutating technique I cant get right because the WDT is lots better for me.
                      Its a pity that Jim Schulman or someone of equal note havent taken the time to put together a video demo and explanation of how to do this properly.

I think where most people get it wrong though, is to use an action that replicates a coin spinning around its edge on a table-top. That is not actually the action you need to employ but rather, you need to use the base of the tamper such that it positively displaces the grounds around and through the basket ahead of it, while using little or no additional weight on the Tamper.

There are a number of hydraulic pumps, motors and metering devices that use this principle of operation so maybe if you do a search for how these operate, you may get a better idea of the wrist action to employ. Its a bit more difficult to do with one of Gregs fitted Tampers but still possible....

Mal.

Comment

Greg, thank you for posting this valuable information. My grinder is a bit clumpy. So this morning I tried the WDT.

I was a bit, yeah right, like its going to do much. To my shock, it was a much better shot that I had ever experienced!

I got wonderful tiger stripes and it seemed to dribble out a much richer colour! I too will be adding this to the way I do my morning coffee business.

Many thanks for posting!

Comment

I think one of the big things this technique does for us "lower end" grinder users is break up clumps, not such an issue for you mal with you swanky new Mazzer Kony-E (so jealous!)

I tried the"nutating" tamp when i first heard mal mention it quite a while ago.....worked ok for me, i personally just couldnt get consistent results, and im sure its my technique.

I find after ive done the WDT the grinds are light and fluffy, just like mal describes what comes out of his grinder as standard, sure clumps dont happen with all the beans i grind in my SJ......but for some reason it tends to happen with most my favorites :go figure ;D

cheers
                          warren

Comment

I found a very small whisk in the draw this morning, so I half filled the basket and then in no particular order I whisked the grounds around and then I continued to fill the basket and collapse, level and tamp as per normal.

Without doubt, the 2 best pours from my Giotto and Mazzer mini I have seen with the naked pf.

Comment

I read this with interest and gave it a go this morning.
                              I dont have a naked portafilter so I cant make any comments there but the grounds in the basket were definitely much more uniform in consistency than I could get with just a tap, tap approach.
                              It changed the grind/dose required for a good pour. The two shots made were definitely better than the two I previously pulled with the "standard" technique. That said Im not prepared to say categorically that its the bees knees but I think it does make it easier for a less skilled coffee-maker (me ) to get a consistent platform and hence more reproducible shot in the cup.
                              ps I used a stanless steel skewer FWIW

Comment

Working...
                              X