X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GJs in court

SMH Today

Coffee giant embroiled in bitter battle over beans

THE coffee giant Gloria Jeans is facing a multimillion-dollar lawsuit that threatens to lift the lid on one of the most secretive companies in Australia.

Owned and run by the Hillsong Church elder Nabi Saleh and the high-profile church member Peter Irvine, Gloria Jeans parent company, Jireh International, is accused of breaking a joint venture agreement with a small US-based coffee supplier, Western Export Services.

Western is suing Jireh for $56 million in unpaid commissions and damages. Jireh has launched a cross-claim, saying the 1996 agreement was invalid.

etc

Re: GJs in court

Yeah i read about this.. I work at Gloria Jeans (actually one of the passionate baristas, and not just plodding along for the money), we havent been informed about this court case at work, nor has it affected us in any way, but well see. Im not sure exactly what wasnt paid... Ah well

Comment

Originally posted by 352F2B2928352D7E34460 link=1271628947/1#1 date=1272708042
      actually one of the passionate baristas
      Being a member of CoffeeSnobs is a give away... the "plodders" would never spend their spare time checking-out a coffee forum or tring to advance their craft.

8-)

Originally posted by 202A3F2828273335460 link=1271628947/0#0 date=1271628947
      Western is suing Jireh for $56 million
      and the article quotes... "Gloria Jeans coffee chain has global sales estimated at $500 million a year".

$56,000,000 is pocket change eh!

The case begins today in the NSW Supreme Court and is expected to run for three weeks. -- SMH 19/4/2010

Well its been 3 weeks and no news... I wonder if this is another court case that goes out with a (under the counter) whimper?

:-?

Comment

Originally posted by 456A607D040 link=1271628947/2#2 date=1273801271
        Well its been 3 weeks and no news...
        Yes, nothing since the article came out. Either it was settled quietly (likely) or the case has been adjourned.

I suspect the newsworthiness was perhaps more about the connections to Hillsong than GJs.

Comment

Expect either settled or it will take 3-4 years with likely appeals and other such stalls. Just wait to see the Hillsong Church promotion/expose on ch 7 on Sunday night see if the connection pops up again.

Comment

Originally posted by 646E7B6C6C637771020 link=1271628947/3#3 date=1273806401
            Originally posted by 456A607D040 link=1271628947/2#2 date=1273801271
            Well its been 3 weeks and no news...  
            Yes, nothing since the article came out. Either it was settled quietly (likely) or the case has been adjourned.

I suspect the newsworthiness was perhaps more about the connections to Hillsong than GJs.
            http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/courtlists/nswsc_lists.nsf/5ab5d5b26b500891ca256755000ac4b2/4298f6f80093d751ca25771f001b84e7?OpenDocument
            Jireh (GJs head company) is listed for the 11/3 but not the following days.
            Nothing listed in the judgements page http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/scjudgments/2010nswsc.nsf/WebView4?OpenView&Start=1&Count=1000&ExpandView
            Love the judges name: Hammerschlag J

Comment

Interesting to see if this affects the price of there product if they do happen to loose and be out of pocket? They seem like the kind of company that will pass on the cost of the court case.

Not that ill ever know the price of a cup at GJs.. The only thing i have had to do with GJs is there RFA Columbian they use...i have it green

Comment

Originally posted by 2F1608063C24630 link=1271628947/6#6 date=1273978037
                Interesting to see if this affects the price of there product if they do happen to loose and be out of pocket? They seem like the kind of company that will pass on the cost of the court case.
                If they do it will be to the franchise partners, not necessarily the customers.

Comment

Just read this, of course will drag on to another round but they seem to have lost the first one.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/legal/20100618-court-finds-gloria-jeans-breached-agreement-with-former-supplier-as-judge-criticises-founder-nabi-saleh.html

Comment

It has the makings for a house of cards me thinks : Interesting tie up with this lot too before they wound up in Oz http://www.smh.com.au/national/mercy...1027-hj2k.html

Comment

Hmmm... with an expected 13.5 million in damages thats the gross from the next 3,000,000 double caramel lattes @ $4.50ea

...or $15,000 per store.

Ouch!

Comment

I find it interesting that he doesnt appear to be at all concerned that God might punish him. 8-)

Greg

Comment

Okay, so I dont know if this has ANYTHING to do with it (although it is odd...), but the prices of the drinks in our GJ store are going up 15CENTS. Thats right, 15 cent increase drink (which is a MASSIVE increase). Fair few customers are gonna complain me reckonz...

But nobody knows why prices have gone up, so whether its related to the court case who knows...

Comment

When did that happen? Havent seen anything to that effect for my store.

Comment

Its happening as of next week for us (Geelong), I dont know who else its affecting, or WHY its being put in place...

Comment

Working...
                              X