Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who grinds beans?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who grinds beans?

    I received some coffeee beans, but I dont have a grinding machine, only a Cafetiere, so was wondering the easist way to get them ground?

    Any suggestions would be welcomed.

  • #2
    Re: Who grinds beans?

    Hi Flora and welcome,

    where abouts are you 2012 Sydney? Do you have a motar and pestle is one option (not ideal). Either that or look at a cheap burr grinder (150-250) or even a hand grinder ($70-100). Last one is let us know where you are and a friendly fellow snob might be happy to grind them for you

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Who grinds beans?

      I reckon a hand grinder would be your best option. It is then that you will really start to enjoy the true pleasures of coffee. Pullman espresso http://www.thingscoffee.com.au/produ...products_id=32sells a Hario hand grinder($90) which is cheap and comparable to the slightly more expensive kyocera hand grinder (~$95). Buy it from Pullman with a aeropress for $126 and you have one heck of a bargain. Provided your beans are good quality and fresh you will never look back.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Who grinds beans?

        Thanks for the recommendation Justin. One word of warning I would say about hand grinders of any design is that they often take more work than the uninitiated would expect. As a ballpark figure for espresso grind, you can expect to turn the crank around 150-200 times to grind enough beans for a double shot. Thats likely to take at least 90 seconds to do. As a bonus youll build your pecs, biceps and triceps in the process! ;D

        So if youre after a faster grind you may want to spend the extra hundred or so to get into a basic burr grinder. Something like the Sunbeam EM0480 is a good starting point. Bear in mind grinders in this category will be fairly noisy (compared to say a Mazzer). But on the other hand nothing can beat a hand grinder when it comes to noise!

        Greg

        PS this is one thing you CANT do with an electric grinder (or espresso machine) - what a way to spend a public holiday! 8-)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Who grinds beans?

          Originally posted by 2F282C232B213424232A4D0 link=1272509863/1#1 date=1272510513
          Last one is let us know where you are and a friendly fellow snob might be happy to grind them for you  
          Yeah, this sounds nice Do tell us where you are, and maybe a fellow snob lives nearby. You can then have a coffee party!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Who grinds beans?

            Originally posted by 0712050710150C0C0D010E600 link=1272509863/3#3 date=1272519244
            PS this is one thing you CANT do with an electric grinder (or espresso machine) - what a way to spend a public holiday!

            Haha I did similar on the weekend. I decided to have it with milk so pulled a few shots before I left home lit a small camp fire when I got where I was going and heated up some milk to add the shots too. Wasnt too bad and certainly much nicer and more fun than instant.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Who grinds beans?

              Originally posted by 6D6A6E616963766661680F0 link=1272509863/1#1 date=1272510513
              Hi Flora and welcome,

              where abouts are you 2012 Sydney? Do you have a motar and pestle is one option (not ideal). Either that or look at a cheap burr grinder (150-250) or even a hand grinder ($70-100). Last one is let us know where you are and a friendly fellow snob might be happy to grind them for you  

              I second the above comments

              KK

              Comment

              Working...
              X