Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Cafe in Melb - any advice appreciated..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Cafe in Melb - any advice appreciated..

I have been checking out the forum for a while now and would love to hear any advice from you relating to setting up a coffee shop in Melbourne.

I have done some preliminary research regarding coffee, machines, grinders, and other equipment. I have enrolled in a short business course, hospitality course and also some barista courses as well. I have previously worked in cafes/restaurants as a barista for about 2 years in Melbourne.  

Veneziano  
    Five Sense
    Home Barista Institute
    Coffico

My favorite is Veneziano and then Five Sense. But, I am worried if we will be treated just like a number. I heard many stories that the machine is faulty and have to wait up to 72 hours to fix up the machine from the coffee supplier.

LM FB80
    Synesso Sabre

I will probably be getting a Synesso Sabre. Everyone speaks very highly of the La Marzocco. After talking to some experienced baristas, they say LM requires lots of maintenance which means it costs more money to have this machine. LM is good if you have high volumes of coffee making (over 300 a day)

Recently, I just attend a café start up course at Home Barista Institute in Melbourne. They seem to have a good system. They supply coffee bean, equipment, maintenances and also café coaching. It sounds like a good supplier to go with.

Before, I was working in a café who used Coffico as suppliers. We had good services from them and once machine was at faulty, they would come and fix the machine within 24 hours.

Looking at June/ July, to be opening a café in Camberwell Vic.

Has anyone got any advices on the coffee bean supplier and coffee machine? Your feedback will be really appreciated.

All the best

Re: Starting Cafe in Melb - any advice appreciated..

My advice would be to not start by bagging your potential suppliers in a public forum - if youre a client and you have a particular grievance you would take it up with the supplier / manufacturer direct

as you are not yet a client bagging suppliers online is poor form

also if youre in the market for a synesso you must be doing alright as most startups dont have a budget for this kind of equipment, bearing in mind most of the larger more established coffee houses only give away coffee mchines to established accounts turning over a min of 20kg of coffee per week

having said that ive been involved in numerous cafe startups - more than i can remember! Feel free to personal message me if you have any specific enquiries or come into my cafe for a coffee and a chat

cheers

pat

Comment

Agreed...The best way to get service from a potential supplier would be to publicly drag them over the coals...before you have even done business with them :

Comment

As a suggestion if you havent already done it as part of your course Make a Business Plan and if it is your first small business then get some professional advice with the planning and costings. Most small businesses fail because of poor planning. Based on your timeline of June/July if your going to do it properly try September and get it right.

If you can afford either of the two machines you mentioned then go for it either will make great coffee in the hands of a good barista when teamed with a good grinder. Also dont be suckered by the hype surrounding those two manufacturers there are other brands out there for a lot less money that will make a great coffee while you are getting going.

If possible dont tie the equipment to the bean choice (supply contract) it will give you more flexibility to change either if you are having a problem. Free Umbrella and windbreaks are for suckers

Comment

Probably not the best place to look for info on starting up a cafe, this is primarily a home coffee users forum (with some input from industry). I think the best bet is to continue paying for advice rather than trying to get some for free . (cause you get what you pay for !!!)

Comment

Originally posted by 717F727D6A7C7D130 link=1272980668/4#4 date=1273033838
            Probably not the best place to look for info on starting up a cafe, this is primarily a home coffee users forum (with some input from industry). I think the best bet is to continue paying for advice rather than trying to get some for free  . (cause you get what you pay for !!!)
            I disagree, this is a great place to get advice on just about anything coffee.....remember this forum started as a green coffee supply discussion......and look now!

There is so much awesome experience here, coupled with a willingness to help others, i think its a great place to start, many many have asked the same question before though, do a search and see what you can come up with on your own, and then ask specific questions,

I wish you the best of luck in a very competitive Melbourne!

Comment

Thats the great thing about the forum everyone has an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C727F706771701E0 link=1272980668/6#6 date=1273035607
                Thats the great thing about the forum everyone has an opinion.
                touche sorry mate

Comment

Any machine that receives heavy usage will require regular maintenance and ditto with the design flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by 4E5C445B474A4C4049494A4A485A562F0 link=1272980668/1#1 date=1273016103
                    My advice would be to not start by bagging your potential suppliers in a public forum - if youre a client and you have a particular grievance you would take it up with the supplier / manufacturer direct

having said that ive been involved in numerous cafe startups - more than i can remember! Feel free to personal message me if you have any specific enquiries or come into my cafe for a coffee and a chat

cheers

pat
                    Thank you so much with the feedbacks, pat

Just speaking from a friends bad experience, he has to wait up to 72
                    hours to have the machine fixed... I am just a bit worried that will
                    happen to me too. So, I am a bit hesitated to go with big coffee suppliers.

I know there is no free lunch, so I will have to set a budget to buy
                    the Synesso myself. In that way, I will not tie to a contract.

I will go and check out your cafe any time soon...

Have a nice day

Comment

In your research go and talk to these guys too, if your opening in Camberwell then they are close to you if you are worried about service and backup http://www.9barespressoservices.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by 686F6B646C667363646D0A0 link=1272980668/3#3 date=1273020262
                        As a suggestion if you havent already done it as part of your course Make a Business Plan and if it is your first small business then get some professional advice with the planning and costings. Most small businesses fail because of poor planning. Based on your timeline of June/July if your going to do it properly try September and get it right.

If you can afford either of the two machines you mentioned then go for it either will make great coffee in the hands of a good barista when teamed with a good grinder. Also dont be suckered by the hype surrounding those two manufacturers there are other brands out there for a lot less money that will make a great coffee while you are getting going.

If possible dont tie the equipment to the bean choice (supply contract) it will give you more flexibility to change either if you are having a problem. Free Umbrella and windbreaks are for suckers  

Thank for the feedback, beanflying

Taking from your advice, I am seeking consultations from
                        the Home Barista Institute. A good business plan is probably
                        the first thing I do now.

From them, they seem to recommend silver chef as we can rent the
                        coffee equipment with reasonable rate. They have other manufacturers like Expobar which is also good machine for cafe
                        start up.

However, they also want me to use their beans. Has anyone
                        tried Home Barista Institute bean before? Or drink their coffee ?

(They score 1 and 1/2 beans at the lastest Melbourne coffee review)

Comment

Originally posted by 5C525F504751503E0 link=1272980668/4#4 date=1273033838
                          Probably not the best place to look for info on starting up a cafe, this is primarily a home coffee users forum (with some input from industry). I think the best bet is to continue paying for advice rather than trying to get some for free  . (cause you get what you pay for !!!)  
                          Thank you for the advices , moto coffee

I just want to seek advices from people who has experienced with
                          different coffee suppliers. Were they happy with them before?
                          Veneziano, Five Sense, ....etc

Can you refer any of the good consultants in Melbourne?

Comment

Thank you for the advices , WSULLY

It is very competitive market in Melbourne. I love coffee and want to
                            work with coffee as a good barista and business operators.

I find Coffeesnobs forum not long ago. I am amazed people are equipped with so much in depth knowledge and williness to answers questions.

Comment

Originally posted by 7176727D757F6A7A7D74130 link=1272980668/10#10 date=1273068023
                              In your research go and talk to these guys too, if your opening in Camberwell then they are close to you if you are worried about service and backup http://www.9barespressoservices.com.au/
                              Thank you so so much , Beanflying  ;D

Now, I dont need to worry if my machine is faulty at any time now.

Comment

Working...
                              X