Cafe Music Selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafe Music Selection?

Its a bit of a strange question and I have done a search and not come up with anything.

I would be interested to know more about the music choices in cafes. The selection seems to make a big difference to the experience. I still recall about 10 years ago going out for breakfast at on of the Sydney beaches and the relaxed flowing music made it such a better experience. It was similar today at the cafe in the airport.

I guess what I am asking is if there are any CD recommendations for that low level background music that it often played in coffee shops. I recall travelling in Germany and there was one coffee shop we were in and the music was great, as it turned out they had the CD for sale up the front (now kicking myself I didnt get it).

Obviously it is difficult to describe music but if you can imaging a relaxed Saturday morning, a busy coffee shop, great coffee, perhaps bacon and eggs, trendy architecture, the Saturday paper, all the time in the world ....... what is the soundtrack for this?

Re: Cafe Music Selection?

Artist - Brian Eno is in the category you described

KK

Comment

We play The Coffee Lounge (music to watch the days go by).  Volumes include espresso, latte, cappucino & mocha.  

Comment

Ah a fellow Geelongian! I think they should play Cradle of Filth in cafes. Wouldnt that be an experience!

Nah all jokes aside, i love my classical music, but im not a fan of it being labelled as background music. However I certainly wouldnt say no to Mozart being played in cafes.. And i have heard classical and romantic period pieces played often..

Comment

Simon, The Crade of flith reference reminded me of this
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dbjiz6imxE

Where I work, we just play what ever is on the radio, then again I work in a food court so it doesnt sound out.

Comment

Most royalty-free chill/downtempo is a good choice.

Comment

I kinda like Bossa Nova, and Latin beats.

Comment

Thanks all ..... there are some good suggestions to follow up on there. I have been able to request a few from the local library to try out

Comment

I like Radio Paradise (from California)--my ISP provides it free.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg .... yep good call. I have listened to Radio Paradise in the past and it is a good mix. As it happens I also have it free! I am actually moving to Adelaide in a few months so I am glad I can get Triple R and Radio Paradise free on my ISP.

Comment

We play Latin American, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, The Beatles, Nick Cave, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Don McLean, and an old fave that I have tickets to see next week, Ute Lemper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gNV5l_seY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKlaV-9Vzsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cmNRVL1drA

Comment

Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Nina Simone and Curtis Mayfield are my favs

Comment

Just out of curiousisty, do we need a permit to play those music in
                          public?

I hear you need to get some kind of permits from local council.

Can anyone clarify this?

Comment

Originally posted by 7C6B707A29296D6E190 link=1273391281/12#12 date=1274105731
                            Just out of curiousisty, do we need a permit to play those music in
                            public?

I hear you need to get some kind of permits from local council.

Can anyone clarify this?
                            Yes, you do need to pay a fee, unless your playing royalty free tunes, when i was in the resturaunt game, i know the owners would pay around $150 a year.....that was 15 years ago.....
                            People running current cafes will be able to offer better advise though......

Comment

Hi

Have a read here: http://www.aria.com.au/pages/licensing-faq.htm
                              If the music is currently under copyright you will need a licence if it is even heard by customers. Yeah, even if its played by the guy washing up in the back room :-)
                              Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X