Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

    My preference is for shots pulled with freshly roasted beans, cooled then straight into the grinder, as far as Im concerned its all down hill from this point, some beans hold up better over the week it takes me to get through a roast but I love the viscosity, mountains of crema and fresh bright flavour of a pour using freshly roasted beans.
    Before I start a roast the Bezzera is turned on and by the time Im done and dusted Im ready for my reward.
    This is obviously a matter of personal taste however I wonder if others share my passion.
    Yeah I know, can hear the exclamations of shock horror and sacrilege already, as they say, different strokes. ;D

  • #2
    Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

    When you say the beans go down hill what do you mean by that. I have found that if I drink my beans straight away the result is usually pretty average.(my opinion though)

    You might get less crema as it ages but that shouldnt be a measure of quality.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

      Originally posted by 1C2325223F380914392F3A33560 link=1273799956/1#1 date=1273805718
      When you say the beans go down hill what do you mean by that.  I have found that if I drink my beans straight away the result is usually pretty average.(my opinion though)  

      You might get less crema as it ages but that shouldnt be a measure of quality.
      Afternoon Justin, When I said they (go downhill) I meant that to my palate they are at their very best immediately after roasting, as they age (to my palate) they deteriorate.
      I understand you usually get less crema as the beans age, however I enjoy copious dollops of the stuff, so once again for me fresh is best.
      The purpose of the post was not to invite controversial debate on the subject, simply to discover whether or not I am alone in my preference.
      My taste in wine has always been for big bold reds made with straight Shiraz grapes (even when it was regarded as mouth wash, early 70s) what Im trying to explain is that I have a palate that likes to be assaulted by big bold flavours with lots of intensity, hence my preference for fresh beans.
      I understand that most prefer their beans aged to varying degrees, however there will always be those among us who dont fit neatly into a box.  

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

        So that means you are someone that salts your salt? ;D

        I am very new to roasting and I have actually started roasting darker in the last 3 weeks and Im loving it so my opinions are bound to change and to be honest I havent tried mega fresh beans since then.

        What is interesting is that I used to buy my beans by the kilo from a reputable local roaster. I found one of their single origins that I tried needed about 8 days before it got any real flavor. I found fresh that bean to be quite bland. Oh the journey!!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

          Originally posted by 6C5355524F487964495F4A43260 link=1273799956/3#3 date=1273808545
          So that means you are someone that salts your salt? ;D

          I am very new to roasting and I have actually started roasting darker in the last 3 weeks and Im loving it so my opinions are bound to change and to be honest I havent tried mega fresh beans since then.

          What is interesting is that I used to buy my beans by the kilo from a reputable local roaster.  I found one of their single origins that I tried needed about 8 days before it got any real flavor.  I found fresh that bean to be quite bland.  Oh the journey!!!!
          Salts my salt! not quite
          I agree, I tend to roast my beans a little darker than most, brings out an intensity of flavour I enjoy.
          Have yet to find a bean that I like more with age, I only use African, Indian and South American beans, have found beans from Indonesian and the area have an earthy taste I dont enjoy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.



            Originally posted by 4D71786075140 link=1273799956/0#0 date=1273799956
            My preference is for shots pulled with freshly roasted beans, cooled then straight into the grinder
            I believe that this practice is not to uncommon for roasters to cup the roast soon after completion
            Roasters also like to chew the beans as well

            KK

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

              Originally posted by 62464F4F4C4C7662465A4446290 link=1273799956/5#5 date=1273814470
              Roasters also like to chew the beans as well
              Havent crossed that far to the dark side, yet.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

                Originally posted by 2B0F060605053F2B0F130D0F600 link=1273799956/5#5 date=1273814470
                I believe that this practice is not to uncommon for roasters to cup the roast soon after completion
                Roasters also like to chew the beans as well

                KK
                Right on both accounts KK. Although the true flavour and subtleties havent developed straight after roasting you can still use it as a means of checking consistency as long as your pallet is attuned to what youre looking for in your blend/origin.

                *nibble nibble* ;D

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

                  Im a ten days post roast man myself but having said that anything 3 days old or older is fair game!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

                    We did have a poll a while back on bean chewing and I am one of them http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1207386595/47#47 Partly I do it because I like them and it gives me an idea of how the roast went.

                    As to drinking straight away not to my taste with an espresso base, I have tried a fair few next day or two to 3 days in and still find the flavours generally become more balanced and developed 4-5 days post roast. Still a lot of the beans in my current stash are still getting to their peaks at 7-10 days.  

                    A couple of memorable cups from a Syphon are some very lightly roasted Kenyan beans 3 days old, they looked like they were just past first crack but tasted great in the cup. Some of the other lighter roasts I have tried are getting dull after the end of the first week.  My normal Syphon roasts I open at 3 to try first if it tastes good then keep going or if it needs it leave it another day or two. Most of these are below second crack or just to the first snaps.

                    So depends on what and how you roast, but some rest to get the best I reckon  

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

                      We all know that most people prefer to allow roasted beans to rest for some days before using them, the question I posed in the opening post of this thread was are there others that share my passion for freshly roasted beans.
                      Seems I may well be on my own.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

                        On a bell shaped curve your way out there in the 3-4 standard deviations area. Must make you a coffee deviant of sorts ;D

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Pulling shots with freshly roasted beans.

                          Originally posted by 74737778707A6F7F7871160 link=1273799956/11#11 date=1273899745
                          On a bell shaped curve your way out there in the 3-4 standard deviations area. Must make you a coffee deviant of sorts ;D
                          Jon. Errr the thought makes my stomach churn..



                          However

                          The following is not so bad..

                          So I guess were both out there; but at different extremes of the scale.


                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X