Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barista course??? Any recommendations???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barista course??? Any recommendations???

I must qualify the following by saying I dont have first hand knowledge of any of those trainers listed, but instinctively, I would choose someone who is actively working as a Barista, and that would be Dave Seng from The Espresso School.

Dave seems to have a genuine passion for coffee and reviews by participants suggest his training is first rate.

I wish I could pry him out of Melbourne to do some training up here!

Re: Best place for Barista/Coffee course in Melb

Originally posted by 67606D7875140 link=1267584082/0#0 date=1267584082
    Hi,

Im looking for a good place in Melbourne to do a barista course.

I have come across a few such as...
    Coffeeschool.com.au
    Espressoschool.com.au
    coffee.angliss.vic.edu.au
    mod edit- non sponsor link removed

Is one place better than others or are they pretty much similar.

Can anyone recommend me a place?

Cheers
    Woo
    Hi Woo,

My opinion (and thats all it is) is that if you want to do a coffee course to get the basics, they are probably all good. All except the edited out last one are also CS sponsors so it would be terrific if you could support one of the guys who contribute to keeping this forum here for you

On the other hand, if its barista training you are looking for, Id probably choose Espresso School as Dave Seng is a barista rather than just a coffee trainer. He works in coffee every day and competes as well. To me, that implies good communication skills and an intimate and comprehensive understanding of current practice.

A legion of happy CSers will attest to the fact that he can and does deliver in the cup and in the training room.

Good luck!

2mcm

Comment

I did the William Angliss one...(but sadly the teacher that was there is no more) and was very happy with the course.

I know David, and I think that going with his course would be excellent, I may even think of doing it just as a refresher...(if he would do one on a Saturday! ;D)

-Linda

Comment

Originally posted by 0A2B2020273D4E0 link=1267584082/1#1 date=1267584834
        Dave seems to have a genuine passion for coffee and reviews by participants suggest his training is first rate.
        Originally posted by 7C233B2D262D2128282B2B232F204E0 link=1267584082/2#2 date=1267585009
        Id probably choose Espresso School as Dave Seng is a barista rather than just a coffee trainer. He works in coffee every day and competes as well. To me, that implies good communication skills and an intimate and comprehensive understanding of current practice.
        Another endorsement for David.
        Ive only met him a couple of times but each time hes come across as a really nice guy, an excellent communicator, someone willing to share to his passion and best of all, he makes a mean espresso.
        If i ever do a coffee course itll be with David.

Comment

Originally posted by 032F2D2D2F3D112D26272D252F4E0 link=1267584082/3#3 date=1267585698
          I did the William Angliss one...(but sadly the teacher that was there is no more)
          No more??!!!

Hes still around, he just moved on to bigger and better things.

I feel like I just suffered a premature demise! ;D

Comment

Seems like a slam dunk for David.

Originally posted by 1A2F2225110D2128282B2B4E0 link=1267584082/5#5 date=1267586963
            I feel like I just suffered a premature demise!
            ;D

Comment

Cheers guys

Ill definately look into Dave from Espresso School in the next couple weeks.

Comment

Barista course??? Any recommendations???

Hello guys !

I joined this website today only and is trying to learn the As, Bs and the Cs. I love to follow some Barista course which covers from Basics and goes upto the Pro level... I really am passionate about coffee, but did not really make an initiative to learn it ! I regret it now, ! Im still 23, so guess I still have time to make up my mistake... So guys, please recommend me places which gives out a good training of coffee and I wanna be a Pro like yall soon ! ;D

Oh, btw, the course should be affordable as well, rather a bit cheap... I am pretty tied up with course fees for my other studies and I dont have lots to spend on coffee lessons !

Cheers !

Comment

Re: Barista course??? Any recommendations???

And you are located at the South or North Pole  : Welcome BTW

Comment

My welcome also and as BF asked we need your location to direct you.

Steve

Comment

I think he might be from Timbuktu.

Comment

Sponsors on the left of the page, have a look at some of the coffee schools in the list, be aware though, they arent cheap, if ya wanna be a pro, and are truly passionate about coffee, skimping on cost may not get you far.........

Comment

Oops ! Sorry guys ! I have missed it,ha?

grrrrrr... may be too much of studying... lol :P hehehehee... ;D

I live in Melbourne, Australia ! So please recommend me a really good Basics -> Pro course with an affordable price... may be at the beginning it better be a bit cheap but, when it is to step into the next stage - I can save up a lil from what I learnt working as a Barista in a coffee place!

Cheers!

Comment

@ beanflying & Mono : Thanks for the welcome guys !

@ Daguerreo : Timbuktu? hahahaha... nice guess mate !

@ WSully : thanks, i will look around a bit... Yeah, i know... but may be at the beginning I just wanna keep the fees a bit down!

Comment

Barista Basics mod edit:link to non sponsor removed offers a course in melbourne, im not sure about melb, but i know its one of the few places that offer TAFE accreditation in Sydney, this is very handy if you are looking for a job, just puts you that little bit above everyone else (on papaer that is).
                              Having said that, I felt that their course structure and content wasnt very good if you wanted to acctually learn something about coffee, as it was slanted toward the TAFE ruberic.

If this is your aim, Id suggest one of the site sponsors <<<<<<<<<<<
                              would be more appropriate a training organisation, or you could approach a good cafe that is offering training.  Either of these options will give you a good sound knowledge and training in coffee.

Originally posted by 0004223B3B3E213639570 link=1274411454/4#4 date=1274415396
                              Sponsors on the left of the page, have a look at some of the coffee schools in the list, be aware though, they arent cheap, if ya wanna be a pro, and are truly passionate about coffee, skimping on cost may not get you far.........
                              +1 :P

cheers,
                              kotaro

Comment

Working...
                              X