X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee course

went to a school today....twas so dumb :-X

Re: coffee course

plastic tampers or just grinder tamp, no grinder adjusting ed- they said a technician usually does that, no indication of 30mL on glasses for shots and no timers, um ..yeah

made the different types of coffees and tried a bit of art

got to practice heaps was the good bit, using heaps of beans and milk

Comment

yes but practice without correct techniques?????

Comment

Did they give you a certificate ?

Sorry to hear that it was not as expected..

Quite hard in some places of Australia; to get good training due to lack of trainers / places that show a true interest....

Comment

Originally posted by 5B40414A4A2F0 link=1275723923/1#1 date=1275728298
          plastic tampers or just grinder tamp, no grinder adjusting ed- they said a technician usually does that, no indication of 30mL on glasses for shots and no timers, um ..yeah

made the different types of coffees and tried a bit of art

got to practice heaps was the good bit, using heaps of beans and milk
          Id be very surprised if you received that sort of training from a site sponsor.....Sounds like you blew your dough with shonk and shonk incorporated to me :

Comment

:-X io non so niente

Comment

its hard to get good help :P

Comment

tell me about it.

and when offered up................. edit.

Comment

Originally posted by 7C535A584F705C535C5A58505853493D0 link=1275723923/3#3 date=1275731264
                  Did they give you a certificate ?

Sorry to hear that it was not as expected..  

Quite hard in some places of Australia; to get good training due to lack of trainers / places that show a true interest....  
                  did he get a certificate? I can tell you as an active professional barista in sydneys CBD for the last 10 years that when i have interviewed hopeful baristas a certificate is not worth the paper its printed on.

The only true indicator of someones ability is to have them make a couple of coffees for you on the spot.

Even then - under pressure a lot of top class baristas crack.

just my non-commercial opinion. ;D

Comment

which one ? what city?

Comment

rather not say incase im just whingeing and expected too much.

Comment

This sounds like the same bad course that I did. OK Im going to name them and they are a sponsor.....Coffee School - Melbourne - Elizabeth St

Plastic tampers, no mention of the 15kg of pressure, no thermometers, no grind adjusting, absolutely atrocious demonstration of free pouring latte art, saying a pour should be 20 seconds, little time spent with one on one help, etc etc etc. Very unprofessional

This is the second course Ive done. The first was excellent (non sponsor). I wanted to do just a latte art course so when I saw that Coffee School had a basic course as well for little extra, I enrolled. I have already emailed their management and got no reply.

For Melbourne people wanting to do a basic course then dont choose this one. I hope this post doesnt get censored.

Comment

barri if you have tried to contact them (which I think is always the right course of action to a. make them aware of the problem and b. give them a chance to rectify the problem) and you have had no response then posting your impressions here seems fair enough.

Perhaps they didnt get the email due to spam folders or the like and seeing your post here may get a reply.

Comment

Must be my day to be sceptical about web based coffee sites :

When a site reads

COMPLETE BOTH COURSES IN 1 DAY
                            10:30am - 4pm

By completing both levels you will become a professional barista!

WOW 5 hours to become a Pro Barista as I wrote in another thread about courses and hiring staff a bit of paper is last on my list of things I look for.

Comment

We do a little bit of on-site training in regional cafes.  Usually tell people that it might take a couple of years to begin to master the art of coffee.

I remember Justin Metcalf saying, in a master class, that the penny dropped, for him, at about year eleven.

Comment

Working...
                              X