Extraction time and amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extraction time and amount

Hi all, before anyone says do a search, I did and got 50 000 responses. Lifes too short to go through each one, especially when there are shots to pull. :P

So, sorry for the complete newb type question but how much extraction should I aim for from a double basket on the 6910

30 ml in 30 seconds
    60 ml in 60 seconds
    60 ml in 30 seconds

At the moment Im getting 60 ml in 57 seconds. If I try and slow it down by grinding finer the fragile and tempremental 6910 has a fit and starts to pulse. The result in the cup is pretty good.

Cheers.

Re: Extraction time and amount

Originally posted by 313027273C39302D550 link=1277455987/0#0 date=1277455987
    Hi all, before anyone says do a search, I did and got 50 000 responses. Lifes too short to go through each one, especially when there are shots to pull. :P

So, sorry for the complete newb type question but how much extraction should I aim for from a double basket on the 6910

30 ml in 30 seconds
    60 ml in 60 seconds
    60 ml in 30 seconds

At the moment Im getting 60 ml in 57 seconds. If I try and slow it down by grinding finer the fragile and tempremental 6910 has a fit and starts to pulse. The result in the cup is pretty good.

Cheers.

About
    50 to 60 ml in about 25 to 30 seconds.

Comment

Oh boy....

You need to be let loose where the big red cats might just catch ya..

30Sec... Is all I will say..  

http://www.coffeekid.com/espresso/minifaq

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/shot-timings-and-volumes

Some one else said this:  You should always be shooting for 25ish seconds, regardless of whether you are using a single or a double or a triple basket, whether you are pulling a ristretto or a lungo. It has to do with volume, not time.

But I love this... Numbers...

Comment

Originally posted by 07282123340B27282721232B232832460 link=1277455987/2#2 date=1277456748
        Oh boy....

You need to be let loose where the big red cats might just catch ya..

30Sec... Is all I will say..  

http://www.coffeekid.com/espresso/minifaq

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/shot-timings-and-volumes

Some one else said this:  You should always be shooting for 25ish seconds, regardless of whether you are using a single or a double or a triple basket, whether you are pulling a ristretto or a lungo. It has to do with volume, not time.

But I love this... Numbers...
        Tonight - I think I need more red wine and cigarettes. I actually understand this.

Thank you Mr. Management

Comment

Originally posted by 6B627162756475626A66070 link=1277455987/3#3 date=1277457216
          Tonight - I think I need more red wine and cigarettes. I actually understand this.

Thank you Mr. Management
          Well its not all 100% but close enough: if and only if we accept some of the variables as stated at the out set as to be Volume and Mass: however there are a few more...

But we can let them slide for the moment..  That cig would taste so good....

Then we can add in the refractometor, spectrum analyser and the ph meters and the other half a dozen high tec test equipment and we may just have the definitive God shot in NUMBERS..

Sorry... 2 + 2 = 5 It makes so much more sense   AND is KISS

Comment

I love the reaction to the "50,000 responses" Ill just add another to make it 50,001. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 755A53514679555A55535159515A40340 link=1277455987/4#4 date=1277457699

Sorry... 2 + 2 = 5  It makes so much more sense     AND is KISS

...or just use a lever machine  

Comment

Originally posted by 4A435043544554434B47260 link=1277455987/6#6 date=1277458928
                ...or just use a lever machine  
                I wish... Care to donate

Comment

Thanks everyone. AM, you are freakin me out man. Ive just come back from getting a massage ( oh poor me) and read the red cats and equations. Now I am numb.

The only reason I ask about the extraction time and volume is to get a straight answer. The staff running the sunbeam school dont know ?? When I asked them they said 30 ml in 30 secs from a single basket. OK, so the fact that we are using the double basket and the single basket should be thrown away, how much and in what time ? 60 ml was the answer - no time frame given.

I would have thought 60 ml in 30 secs would be deemed a gusher. Im on the verge of what I reckon is a gusher getting 60 ml in just under a minute

Comment

Originally posted by 636275756E6B627F070 link=1277455987/8#8 date=1277466679
                    I would have thought 60 ml in 30 secs would be deemed a gusher. Im on the verge of what I reckon is a gusher getting 60 ml in just under a minute
                    No way mate.... :P

50-60ml in 28-30 seconds should pour like aerated honey and basically ooze from the GH Spout(s) as though it was a viscous, liquid Violet Crumble Bar in motion. It wont gush - Unless, of course, you are using less than high quality, freshly roasted beans.... Then, anything can happen :

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B5A4D4D56535A473F0 link=1277455987/8#8 date=1277466679
                      Thanks everyone. AM, you are freakin me out man. Ive just come back from getting a massage ( oh poor me) and read the red cats and equations. Now I am numb.

The only reason I ask about the extraction time and volume is to get a straight answer.

The staff running the sunbeam school dont know ?? When I asked them they said 30 ml in 30 secs from a single basket. OK, so the fact that we are using the double basket and the single basket should be thrown away, how much and in what time ? 60 ml was the answer - no time frame given.

Some one else said this: You should always be shooting for 25ish seconds, regardless of whether you are using a single or a double or a triple basket, whether you are pulling a ristretto or a lungo. It has to do with volume, not time.

TIME:

So as per Mal and many others, aim for 30sec... ( I tend to go for 25 - cause it easer...)

VOLUME:

30ml for a single (I dont use one for coffee)

60ml for a double ( I tend to aim for 50 - 55ml split across two cups)

60ml for a double (I tend to aim for 40 -50 ml if into one cup for me)

NOTE: If its looking like going blond and watery - Then I kill the shot... Sip and make teh call ..... Keep or Dump.. I do not measure teh volume and then decide... To me is about what in teh cup not how much..

The time and volume is a guide and dependant upon Beans / Grind / Tamp / other external factors...

Comment

So, if Im currently getting 60 ml in 57 seconds, I have to double the flow rate to be in the ball park ? So that means a coarser grind, right ?( which the 6910 would love)

I hope the red cats reference is nothing to do with Julia Gillard. I have enough nightmares .

Comment

Thats one thing to try, the other is to adjust your dose a little. But always one at a time, suggest you adjust your grind one step at a time (remembering there is always a little ground coffee still in the grinder).

Comment

Ok, changed the grind, same dose, same tamp. Coarser by 1 on the 480. Now getting 60 ml in 28 secs. Not bad. Slight reduction in crema. Is the volume of extractrion measured to the bottom or top of the crema ?
                            Does the extraction time start from the second the pump is switched or when the shot appears ? Ive read a few conflicting views.

I always grind for about 5 seconds and throw away to get rid of any stale coffe sitting inthe grinder, and I grind for a bit longer and throw away whenever I change grind. My dose is spot on and Im not willing to overdose and under dosing wont achieve anything I guess, so grind and tamp are my variables.

EDIT -: Im using Campos superior beans. I buy a kilo bag every week ( and use it all ). They latest bag was roasted on 22 /6/10 according to their sticker.

Comment

1: Beans will still have a strong influence..

I roast = I Know... I do not always believe what I read.... Would like to... BUT!

2: From the moment ya hit the brew switch (pre infusion is a variable - I ignore)

3: No use starting from teh time ya see drips.. That may never happen is ya choke it :-)

4: Depending on beans/grind/pre infusion/ dose/tamp and basket size/shape etc etc about 6 to 8 sec for drips to start to appear.

Hence some might say 20/22 or 24 /25 sec from drips first appearing.. There are many variables.. Do not get caught up in numbers.. It is a slippery path and like some other stuff... Once ya start it is hard to get back on the road..

Get to know what works for your system... Does not mean it wil be teh same for another machine/beans..

Comment

Working...
                              X