Single basket, stuck puck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single basket, stuck puck

Ill preface this by saying that like most CSers i prefer not to use my single basket however ive discovered that im able to get a quality shot from it on my new Domobar Jnr. and it comes in handy on the rare occurrence when im home alone and want a piccolo latte.

Now, with that out of the way.
    Basically, every time i use my single basket the puck gets stuck in the basket making knocking it out impossible and instead requiring a spoon, some agitation and some time consuming scooping of little bits of puck until its clean.
    Im getting good results in the cup but the puck is always incredibly dry, hard and compressed.

I dont have any such problems with my double basket, with it knocking out easily and cleanly with the resulting pucks at the perfect consistency.

I dont know if its a problem with my technique, my dose, my tamping or simply the design of the standard Domobar Jnr. ridged single basket, but ive altered all the variables i can, one by one, and still the stuck pucks continue.

My kingdom for a solution, oh wise ones.  

Re: Single basket, stuck puck

Your looking at a much smaller mass (harder to get into motion) in the single so I suspect a harder sharper hit on the bar may help, the ridge would also help to hold it in place, is your double ridged or ridgeless?

Comment

Originally posted by 003C352D38590 link=1277698700/1#1 date=1277700186
      is your double ridged or ridgeless?
      Both the single and double baskets are ridged.

Comment

Originally posted by 686868220 link=1277698700/2#2 date=1277700763
        Originally posted by 003C352D38590 link=1277698700/1#1 date=1277700186
        is your double ridged or ridgeless?
        Both the single and double baskets are ridged.
        OK, can you see what I mean when I say the extra weight in the double puck may help to overcome inertia making it easier to knock out?
        Have you tried a hard sharp tap when knocking the single?

Comment

Try taping the side of the group handle on the  vertical side of the kitchen sink  

If you want it a little neater, do it inside a used shopping bag so the spent puck falls in the bag This is what I do

For the science of my method
          The side impact causes the puck to allow air in and release its suction type grip allowing the puck to fall out

KK

Comment

Try running some water onto the puck.
            If the group handle is bottomless, run it onto the underside of the basket.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions, lads.
              Its nice to know that its likely a knocking technique issue rather than an issue with the important stuff.
              I just got home and the machine is firing up so as soon as its good to go im going to test out all three suggestions, hopefully i find one that solves the problem.

Originally posted by 744841594C2D0 link=1277698700/3#3 date=1277701901
              OK, can you see what I mean when I say the extra weight in the double puck may help to overcome inertia making it easier to knock out?
              Have you tried a hard sharp tap when knocking the single?
              I hadnt thought of altering my knocking out technique, but it makes perfect sense to try a sharp, hard tap to dislodge it.

Originally posted by 66424B4B48487266425E40422D0 link=1277698700/4#4 date=1277702273
              Try taping the side of the group handle on thevertical side of the kitchen sink

If you want it a little neater, do it inside a used shopping bag so the spent puck falls in the bag This is what I do
              I hadnt thought of that either.
              I havent been too creative with knocking out for fear of doing damage to my shiny new piece of quality machinery.

Originally posted by 7945584349485F4A42492D0 link=1277698700/5#5 date=1277702514
              Try running some water onto the puck.
              Ive tried putting a little tap water on it but that didnt move it.
              Perhaps ill give it a good soaking and see if that helps.

Comment

Just tried all three methods and still the puck wont budge.  

On the plus side, the piccolo was a cracker.

Comment

Its mostly to do with the Ridged Basket(s) Ristrom.....

Cast around some of our Site Sponsors mate and see if anyone sells a Ridgeless Single Basket. I know Bezzera make really decent ones so its possible you may be able to pick up one of these....

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal.
                    I thought perhaps the basket might be part of the problem because the base looks like it could easily trap a puck.

Most of the standard ridgeless baskets on the market will fit my group handle, no?
                    Ill have a look at the sponsors sites and do some research into which one is the best fit, what fellow CSers prefer and what size (be it the 6 or 7g) i should go for.

Just looking now, i like the sound of these triple baskets, too.

Comment

Actually, do single ridgeless baskets exist?

Looking around, the 7g single basket for the VBMs seems to have a flatter base than the standard 6g so perhaps thats my best option even though its still technically ridged.

Comment

Have a teaspoon/toothbrush on hand to gently scrape the puck out? :-?

Comment

Recently read a thread about an unusual basket

We surmised that it was a basket to hold pods
                          Now uses it for a single basket & reports that its a ripper

Its worth a try if you can get a hold of one

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 1414145E0 link=1277698700/10#10 date=1277721016
                            Actually, do single ridgeless baskets exist?
                            Certainly do...

Like I mentioned above, Bezzera make a decent one.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 44696D616C000 link=1277698700/13#13 date=1277793290
                              Certainly do...

Like I mentioned above, Bezzera make a decent one.... Cool
                              I looked, Mal, oh i looked.
                              Sadly i couldnt find as much as a sniff of a single ridgeless basket (or even much discussion on it, anywhere), Bezzera or otherwise.  :-[

Im going to try the slightly bigger ridged single given its bottom looks less conducive to stuck pucks than the slightly smaller original.
                              Hopefully it works, if not ill continue my search for a ridgeless single (that or do as i did this afternoon and just have doppio piccolo lattes   ).

Comment

Working...
                              X