• Show
Clear All

• puck

what does soppy puck mean?

Re: puck

Originally posted by 6A71707B7B1E0 link=1278122343/0#0 date=1278122343
    what does soppy puck mean?
    Wet puck not holding together as in a dry puck due to water logging

Can also mean water sitting on top of the puck due to coffee grinds being to fine and water cant seep past

KK

Comment

Also, if the pours are about right, you might be under-dosing

Comment

ok thanks kk + flynn..
        Im trying my first roast and trying to adjust the grind so i might go a bit coarser and dose up a bit. Here goes...
        /me

Comment

Originally posted by 617A7B7070150 link=1278122343/3#3 date=1278124269
          ok thanks kk + flynn..
          Im trying my first roast and trying to adjust the grind so i might go a bit coarser and dose up a bit. Here goes...
          /me
          With regards to dose

Tamp the puck to a depth level that does not interfere with the shower screen when the group handle is locked in place

The puck should be a hairs whisker from the shower screen

KK

Comment

shot was better 30 ml /25 sec- but puck wet on top again and just breaks to pieces in knock out :question

Comment

one thing i am noticing is that after filling the basket with grinds, the first tamp does compact alot.

Comment

Depending on the basket you will have play around with the dose as well. I know that the basket that was supplied with my Pullman tamper for instance needs about 18 grams in it or the puck will break up

Comment

ok..I really put some into the basket this time and, walla, the puck was alot better. The shot only pulled about 20 ml/30 sec so what should i adjust now? grind?

Comment

Originally posted by 465D5C5757320 link=1278122343/8#8 date=1278126565
                    ok..I really put some into the basket this time and, walla, the puck was alot better. The shot only pulled about 20 ml/30 sec so what should i adjust now? grind?
                    Trial & error is the best classroom
                    Then conditions like humidity & age of beans will toss you a curve ball that forces you to change the routine

Them experience kicks in and you are on top of your game again

KK

Comment

What you are experiencing is very similar to my first experiences in getting the right pour. 20 seconds doesnt mean bad as long as the coffee tastes good. Ive had quite drinkable coffee from 15 second pours or 40 second pours.

Everyone has their own technique that works for them. Try this method: fill the basket until you get a small mound, tap the group handle gently once to collapse the grinds, then top up, level off the grounds and then tamp.

I would recommend doing some training. In the meantime, google "Weiss distribution technique" and consider investing in a naked group handle. Both helped me.

Comment

I stick to the correct tamp depth for both my double or single baskets

I do however tamp the single puck at double the force of the double shot

It has never failed (said with crossed fingers) :

KK

Comment

cheers...
                          somehow,  and with amazment, I ground coarser and must have hit the sweet spot and WHOA!, I fluked the best coffee I ever did drink!!
                          So that gave me some encouragement to persist. I am definitely progressing bit by bit.
                          And hey everyone, I really appreciate your guidance. Not to mention the site we have at our disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A71707B7B1E0 link=1278122343/12#12 date=1278157691
                            somehow,and with amazment, I ground coarser and must have hit the sweet spot and WHOA!, I fluked the best coffee I ever did drink!!  
                            Thats great tonee.  Good to hear you are getting there.  Exciting isnt it!!!

Originally posted by 6A71707B7B1E0 link=1278122343/12#12 date=1278157691
                            And hey everyone, I really appreciate your guidance. Not to mention the site we have at our disposal.
                            There are so many people who are willing to share their wisdom.  A great little community this Coffeesnobs.

Comment

hey guys, i am back to getting watery/liquidy sludge on top of my pucks again. any ideas whats going on? :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X