If ya dont want to know dont ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If ya dont want to know dont ask.

Had dinner with friends a few nights back (their home) end of the evening as is customary, coffee was offered and accepted, without being asked, black or white) was served some sort of white concoction that tasted like crap, he knows I roast my own and asked the question (what do you think of the coffee) while proudly displaying a packet of Monjava beans bought fresh from the supermarket (best before 22 April 2011) : I told him as diplomatically as possible that the beans were stale and the coffee pretty darned average, that went down like a lead balloon
    A couple of days later they visit us, coffee is offered in it various forms, they opt for a cappa, as luck would have it Im using 500 grams of Yirg roasted a few days prior, and if I say so myself every thing went well, coffee was served with choc dipped shortbread biscuits, all very civilised.
    So after the event without being asked he volunteers the opinion that my coffee offering was not up to my usual standard, in his words (Ive had better here in the past) I mutter something to the affect that we all have our failures and change the subject.
    I suspect I was the victim of pay back ;D   :
    Forgot to mention at the end of dinner he handed me a packet containing about 100 grams of his Monjava beans and suggested I try them in the Bezzera which I did, smelled like cigar ash, almost no crema and tasted like crap.
    As I said in the heading, if ya dont want an honest opinion dont ask the question.

Re: If ya dont want to know dont ask.

I hear what you are saying Jon, but Yirg is a bit of a love or hate bean in milk based drinks I have found.  

Personally it is too bright, especially under 10-14 days, great as a shot but not in milk.  My wife who likes tea, thinks it is great in milk.  And I have had some visitors like it and others not.

As for your situation, it is human nature to get ones back up when you think you have offered something decent only to be told otherwise, even if that person has opened themselves for comment.

Why not reverse the situation and take some of your beans to try next time you are over there.  Once he has tasted fresh beans on his setup, even if he wont admit it, you know it will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B584B4B5C55390 link=1280394280/1#1 date=1280395412
      I hear what you are saying Jon, but Yirg is a bit of a love or hate bean in milk based drinks I have found.
      I hear what you say Barrel, my better half who shoots from the hip and is a cappa gourmet gave it 90 out of 100.

As for your situation, it is human nature to get ones back up when you think you have offered something decent only to be told otherwise, even if that person has opened themselves for comment.
      I understand that, the post was meant to be light hearted, and not taken seriously, perhaps it didnt come across that way. ;D

Why not reverse the situation and take some of your beans to try next time you are over there.Once he has tasted fresh beans on his setup, even if he wont admit it, you know it will be better.  
      Yep been there done that, result, no comment, if some one doesnt offer an opinion I assume the worst and dont pursue the matter.

Comment

My friends dont offer me coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by 576B766D676671646C67030 link=1280394280/3#3 date=1280410813
          My friends dont offer me coffee.
          Do you reciprocate?

Comment

They dont come to visit me, they come for the coffee.
            I always offer it.
            Sometimes I wait a while before doing so, just to keep them waiting.  

Comment

I have friends that come over for the coffee. i dont mind because they appreciate the process I have gone through to provide it for them. Plus they often bring me a bottle of milk or bikkies or something. If I go to there place they usually offer tea though one friend now makes a plunger coffee from Beans I roast for her. It is nice for the change sometimes.

I find it amazing how much milk you can go through with regular coffee visitors

Comment

Mun2three, great to see your still active. Keep up the great work and I feel for you with A being away for a while.

Am

Comment

Originally posted by 7E425F444E4F584D454E2A0 link=1280394280/5#5 date=1280415747
                  They dont come to visit me, they come for the coffee.
                  I always offer it.
                  Sometimes I wait a while before doing so, just to keep them waiting.  
                  Delayed gratification.

Comment

Originally posted by 776F77286E72687F7F1A0 link=1280394280/6#6 date=1280436508
                    I find it amazing how much milk you can go through with regular coffee visitors
                    Morning Mum, maybe time to buy a cow.

Comment

If I know that the coffee on offer will be horrific I ask for Tea.... and then try to get home fast for a real drink. At least tea is less processed than instant coffee and tastes less offensive than stale coffee (to my palate).

When guests come over it gives me great pleasure to serve them beautiful coffee in the hope that perhaps I may convert someone, and get good coffee in return. This has not yet happened but I live in hope.

I agree with Mum2Three that the Milk usage gets a hammering with guests especially when the house drink is a double shot in a mug. I have started to do doppio ristretto piccolo latti to save me having to do a run to the shops part way through visits.

Comment

Sadly I can be a bit of a tea snob on top of a coffee snob, so usually just go for water... that said, Id rather have a tea bag with bad tea than instant coffee.

The only thing is, i cant understand why people think loose leaf tea is a hassel? I always make a pot of tea for visitors (or use one of those little infusers for just a single cup) and they carry on about how lovely it is to have a pot of real tea and wish they had the time to do it at home, WTF? how hard it is to put a pinch of tea in an infuser or pot than to put a tea bag in a cup while waiting for a kettle to boil?

Comment

Originally posted by 4F5F4859591F1E1D151A1E2D0 link=1280394280/10#10 date=1280448363
                          If I know that the coffee on offer will be horrific I ask for Tea
                          Sadly I never acquired a taste for tea, in fact just the opposite, the stuff actually makes me gag :P
                          So in the words of the Soup Nazi, no tea for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 6072747C7C7776222A2B20130 link=1280394280/11#11 date=1280468868
                            Id rather have a tea bag with bad tea than instant coffee.
                            They can drink instant and tea, make mine a Scotch and soda.

Comment

luckily for me most of my friends are far more likely to offer a glass or wine or some excellent beer (one even makes fantastic belgium-style homebrew)... so i dont have to resort to the tea bag very often!

Comment

Working...
                              X